Small Info about Akshaya Tritiya

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by ammulur, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Akshaya Tritiya, or Akha Teej, is a highly auspicious day which falls on the third day after Amavasi (no moon) in the Hindu month of Vaishakha. Akshaya Tritiya 2014 date is May 2. As per Hindu astrology and almanac, each second on the Akshaya Trithiya day is auspicious. It is said that there is no need to look for a ‘muhurat’ on the day. The word Akshaya means ‘that which never diminishes’ and the day is ideal for beginning new ventures as it is believed that all investments on this day appreciates.

In a traditional Hindu lunar calendar, Akshay Tritiya is observed on the third day of Shukla Paksha (waxing phase of moon) in Vaishakh Month.

It is believed that the sun and the moon are most radiant and best placed on the day. Therefore it is one of the most popular dates in Hindu calendar for marriages, for beginning new ventures, for investing and for purchasing valuables like gold and diamond.

Parashuram Jayanti is also observed on Akshaya Tritiya day. There are numerous legends associated with Akshaya Tritiya; most popular is that of Sudama or Kuchela visiting Lord Krishna in Dwarka with a handful of beaten rice (poha or aval).

Another legend suggests that the Pandavas received the Akshaya Pathram (bowl) from Lord Krishna (in the Mahabharata) on this day.

It is also believed that Sage Vyasa began the composition of Mahabharata on the day.

Lord Vishnu and his incarnations are worshiped on the day. People also conduct Lakshmi puja on Akshaya Tritiya.

But nowadays, Akshaya Trithiya is associated with gold purchase and many people wait for the day to make investments in gold.

What to do on Akshaya Tritiya..........?

The main puja and prayers on the day is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. Therefore you can do a simple Vishnu pooja in the morning with Tulsi leaves and flowers. Some people also perform an elaborate Lakshmi puja or Lakshmi kubera homa.

Annadhanam – offering food to the poor is considered to be the greatest thing one can do on this day. Hindus believe there is no Dhanam greater than Annadhanam.

There is a popular belief that whatever one invests in on the day will continue to grow and bring prosperity. Therefore people invest in gold on the day.

People also make donations and give alms on the day. Umbrellas, sandals etc are also donated in some regions.

Since it is one of the most auspicious days in a Hindu calendar, people begin new ventures on the day.

People also visit shrines of Goddess Lakshmi, Vishnu and Lord Krishna.

7 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Ammu dear for sharing this information about Akshaya Trithi

1 person likes this.
  3. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the lovely info.

1 person likes this.
  4. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

:thankyou2: Vijima for the first FB....! Very Happy to see you hear...!

5. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Ammulur for sharing information about Akshay Thritiya.

6. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Ammulur,

Thanks for sharing, May Goddess Lakshmi and Baba sayee bless us to do good deeds on AKSHAYA TRITHAYA and stay with added Punya Account.

SAIRAM

7. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Thank You Rajini for the FB.....!

Thank You SaiShakthi sister for the FB.....!

Thank You Kanaka for the FB.....!

Thank YOu Vijima for the FB...!

8. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Dear All,

Can anyone advise does buying gold on this day really useful / worth????
    We are two daughters and before our marriages my mother made it a point to buy gold on this day and by God s grace she was able to manage the right qnty of gold as promised for both of us.

Should I go by that belief and buy gold for my DD or it is just a thought of mind. I feel it is the day Gold Jewellers make money by hitting on our beliefs but my mother believes otherwise.

9. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vani,

I f you want to invest some money in gold...... this day will be a good day too.......!

Many of my colleagues, friends bring home anything new on this day like home/ kitchen appliances like one of my friend is buying a new fridge on this day....! few are buying silver articles and colleagues who have daughter they are buying some ear rings to the kids.... so on....!

It's left to once personal choice and their will be no completion......!

In earlier days when we were kids this "Gold purchasing" was not their.....!

Even a simple puja for god is also fine.....! Only that we should be happy for whatever we have done...........!

10. umathiru

umathiru Silver IL'ite

Hi

Thanks for the info about Akshaya Tritiya.
    I think we can also do some savings and investment on this day.