1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Small button-sized lump under my daughter's breast

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by shari2003, Nov 13, 2014.

1. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Dear all,

My daughter turned 9 in June. She is a very thin girl. For 2-3 days now, she has been complaining of a small button-sized lump that she could feel under her breast and says that the area is quite sensitive. I could also feel the small lump when I tried examining. What could it be? I googled a bit and saw that it was one of the signs of adolescence setting in and puberty would soon follow. But, isn't 9 yrs too young for that? Has anyone experienced this with your daughters? Does puberty set in soon after seeing this sign? Do i consult a doc? Please let me know.

2. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Please consult Doctor . Just to rule out your doubt..

-
    Sweetlife

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you mean her nipples or nearer the ribcage. under her nipples..it is ok. and it maybe sensitive in some kids. and shari you need to wake up in a hurry. 9 is not too young. if you browse this forum you will find we have been discussing that 8 is the average for hitting menarche (start of periods) in kids today. watch for hair in under arms and pubic area. if both are in, then this could mean the regular growth..
    but you can always have your doubt ruled out.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schoolgoers-and-teens/257706-my-10-year-old-daughter.html

2 people like this.
  4. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Yes Sweetlife, I also thought of consulting a doctor. Though reading a bit on the yet put me on ease, am a little scared. Shall take her to doc today/ tomorrow

1 person likes this.
  5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the quick response and guidance to this thread, Shanvy. Honestly I did not think that she was anywhere near that. But, am a little alarmed now. I am thinking of how to speak to her about the changes she should expect too. I thought I should be prepared by the time she is 12-13... anyways, thanks a lot for the valuable info. The lump is exactly under her nipple. She has not grown hair anywhere as yet..

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you should be prepared as a mother shari. these days you never know. i know kids who have started and did not have a lot of development while there were few who did get theirs only when they were in their 10th. it all comes down to genes, and individual composition.

so better talk to her, and guide her..

here is a link that could help you prepare to talk..
    First Period Talk - Pick Your Day to Talk to Your Daughter | Kotex®

1 person likes this.
  7. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much, dear. This is indeed very helpful...

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome shari. been there done that can understand.

9. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear!

Nowadays I don't think 9 would be early.

I started my periods at 8 years of age, and this was like 20 years back when it was not so common.

Consult her peadiatrician to rule out any other problems.

You could buy her books on body change and also teach her yourself regarding all the changes she is going to experience in future.

Nowadays so many things are available to ease girls into all this. Make good use of them.

During my time I only had my mamma who I ran to, to enlighten me on this stuff.