sleeping position

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by skyinsc, Oct 1, 2013.

1. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

i am finding any sleeping position is difficult in 6 month itself .I am afraid how the next 3 months are going to be :eek:mg: . Though my prefered sleeping position is on the back, i am trying my best to sleep on my left side (as suggested by everyone including my obgyn) . but if i sleep continuously on my left side ,my entire left side starts hurting since i have to balance my entire weight on one side i.e left and again i get up after few hours of sleeping and try to sleep on my right side until i face same issue.. i dont know how other pg ladies (more advance stage than me ) are managing :idontgetit:

i have a pregnancy pillow (C shaped) and i try to sleep on my back (right side of my body will be slightly evelated since it is placed on the C shaped pillow) and my obgync said as long as right side is elevated ,the sleeping position is fine (no harm to baby) .but if i sleep with right side elevated position ,i am experiencing muscle spasm near my left thigh and felt such a sudden jolt of pain that i got up shouting due to pain in mid night today morning..please help

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

2. akanksha999

akanksha999 Silver IL'ite

Well 3 months will go by, and unfortunately your physical discomforts will be only increasing as these months pass.

Sleep on left side mainly. For a change sleep on the right side. While shifting sides, preferably get up and change.

Many say it doesn't matter what you do. But I speak only from experience. My babies cord was around its neck as we found during one ultrasound, so I was bit careful. And luckily the cord was disentangled before delivery.

I only slept on left side or right side, never on my back except if I went on my back in deep sleep. I also used to walk a lot all through my pregnancy. It really helps.

3. PadmalathaK

PadmalathaK Senior IL'ite

I too had the same problem during my pregnancy. My obgyn strictly told me to sleep on left side and my mom would check up on me during the night(if i was sleeping on left side or not). Like you, my preferred sleep position is on the back, but had to do what was best for the baby.
    Regards,
    Padmalatha.K

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I used a body pillow. It definitely helped me in catching some sleep. By the last month, I was just thankful to get some sleep.

5. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Thank you akanksha999,PadmaLathaK and ramyaramani for your suggestions. i know i should be thankful that atleast till now i didn't face many more severe pregnancy issues that other ladies face :) I am trying to sleep as much as i can because i understand it will get harder as weeks progress and there is no way to avoid the issues so its better adjust and live with it :)

i am also walking daily for 40 min '(skipping occasionally) since i heard from my friend who had very easy normal delivery ( delivered within 2hrs after she reached hospital) that one thing she did consistently which she thought helped her a lot is walking daily .