sleeping on the side :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by DivzIyer, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DivzIyer

DivzIyer Senior IL'ite

HI

I am in my 15th week now and everyone has started suggesting abt sleeping on the side. But when i sleep on my side, after a while my hip (the side which is at the bottom) starts to hurt :drowning....then i change sides and then the same thg happens again. is there somethg i can do abt this...
    before becoming pregnant i always slept on my tummy...so this side thg is really...:rant BUT anythg for my baby :thumbsup

2. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi Diz, I am 25 wks and have the exact same problem. What you can do is, use a pillow in between your legs, when you are on your side....this has given me a lot of relief!
    Hope this helps.

3. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

gosh divziyer... that is the exact prob that i am facing!!!

i also used to sleep on my tummy and it is becoming so difficult for me; prior to pregnancy night time was my favourite and these days thinking about sleep is killing. i am scared that i might end up sleeping on my tummy...

but my doctor was very specific that i should be sleeping on my sides (pref on the left side) and no sleeping on the back. for a while i got my husband to sleep on the left and hugging him... but now with the baby bump's weight- it is getting so uncomfortable.

my friends suggest using a body pillow. and nowadays when i suddenly shift sides i get this round ligament pains- so when i want to shift sides- i sit and then change. that helps. the pain is annoying.

i am yet to get a body pillow for myself and to speak to my ob this weekend

4. srajitha

srajitha Silver IL'ite

lol guys , its the exact same problem with even me. Doc asked me to sleep on either left or right side. I get this bad pain when I sleep on my left side ,I have no problem sleeping on right side earlier but these days I cant sleep even on right side , I feel the weight of my tummy when I change positions sleep on sides. I have tried putting pillow b/w my legs but I felt very uncomfortable. Sleeping time is the worst time :(

5. DivzIyer

DivzIyer Senior IL'ite

ladies we need to find a solution ;)
    vmtaurus @ thanks for for the tip but i just wanted know if i keep a pillow between my legs how will it help the pain in the leg which is still in the same position. I just want to kw if i am getting it rt.

I am also told that when i should change sides i should get up, sit and then change.
    with trips to the washroom , this side sleep mess and now the sitting and changing, I feel my sleep has gone out of the window :D

6. coolheart

coolheart New IL'ite

I find this to be little helpful to an extent.
    I put a fat pillow (or lean u can lean ur back on ur hubs:).behind my back which ever side i want to sleep.... gives support to my back and i never end up sleeping upwards, some times i am just tilted to the sides but will wake up anyway (bathroom trips or kicks!) and back to the side position.....I keep a pillow between my legs too.

7. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

I am unsure of the science behind it, but it works like magic for me :D

8. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

I haven't slept in a month...:-(....and I am taking some insane pleasure in knowing that I am not alone! (sorry!)

I am used to sleeping on my back and this sleeping-on-the-side business is driving me nuts. My left hip hurts a lot and I keep tossing and turning all night...poor DH sometimes has to sleep in the other room. Will try the pillow technique...not sure if I want to get up and change sides every night...is that really necessary?!

9. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

It is better to change sides, as you may become stiff if you sleep all night on your left. I think subconsciously you will turn anyway. I alternate between left and right, though I know left is the preferred. I sleep as long as i can, till it does not get uncomfortable. But, a full night's sleep has gone out the window, thanks to the bathroom breaks too! In variably get up at least 2-3 times.

10. DivzIyer

DivzIyer Senior IL'ite

i tried a new trick. I spread a soft thin blanket (somethg like a Rajasthanirazai) underneath. It works for a little longer than how it used to be. I askedmy Dr, she said you can change sides and there is no need to get up and thenchange sides. The pillow between the legs is imp.I had bad muscular pain in myknee area and could not even walk. Dr said it is the pressure of one leg on theother and the pillow between the legs is the solution.

P.S. Last night i dreamt abt sleeping on my tummy and sleeping the entire night:D.....few months ago that was reality now it is a distant and funny dream ;)