1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping on sides !!!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ssubhasr, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

My baby "Sahana" is jus 3 weeks old. And she wants to sllep on her sides
    (right side with one hand under her cheek or head) Shall I allow her to sleep like that ? She use sleep with me on my bed, as she fears when I leave her on the cradle. Whenever I wake up in night, I could see her sleepin on her sides and she will be very close to me...

Pl advise....

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

My baby also loves to sleep the same way from the beginning. So I him sleep on the side when he's next to either one of us. But when I put him in the crib I use sleep positioners and that hugs him closely on the sides so he cannot turn but feels comfortable. I would suggest to place your baby on her back for longer periods of sleep and also when she's left unattended. Don't worry about your baby not sleeping in the crib - mine started to feel comfortable in the crib only after a month. You can slowly train your baby during day hours and when she's awake with you sitting next to the crib and then later do it at nights.

-L.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Subha, when I was in the hospital right after I had Riya, the nurse there would put Riya in her crib on the side right after I nurse her, when asked she said, this way if she spits her milk it won't choke her. So, I guess it is okay if she sleeps on her side but for short periods of time and do keep an eye on her.

We used to be really paranoid about Riya rolling over on her belly (Riya slept in her bassinet during the night). So, like Lavanya said, we got sleep positioners and that helped a lot. We stopped using sleep positioners when Riya was 5 months old and now, at 8 months, she prefers sleeping on the side and we let her. But at three weeks I would be worried about the baby sleeping on its sides.

Raj

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Subha - Dont worry, Aadhu was like that too at first. I used to place pillows on either side so that he feels cozy (like inside the womb). When you are sleeping next to her you will be checking on her all night long so nothing will happen.

Vanathi.

5. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

hello subha
    no need to worry if your baby is sleeping on her side. i remember my cousin used to make her baby sleep on her side from her first month onwards itself, because her baby used to vomit milk a lot and by sleeping on her side the baby would not choke on her own vomit. so its perfectly fine.as vanathi mentioned, you can keep pillows on both the sides to keep her comforted. but always do keep checking on the baby .

dont they look so cute when they sleep on their sides??esha started doing it just a week ago and i just love looking at her when she is sleeping, so peaceful and innocent :)
    nikky

6. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much all.....now i feel ok after reading ur replies.... :)

7. Shilpak2303

Shilpak2303 Senior IL'ite

Hi ssubha

My kid Vedaant was like this. Even our doc laughed when we went for a visit around 3 weeks and he turned on one side.

However, you may want to consider swaddling for now, instead of letting her sleep that way..It can make the shape of the head a lil odd. You know that baby pillows and other methods like pillow made of rai is used so that the baby's head remains round.

Vedaant unfortunately has a slightly elongated head if you look carefully, which i believe is because of his sleeping on the side.

Dont let this bother you too much though. I thought it will be nice to let you know.

Shilpa