Sleep With Your Mobile Phone Nearby?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. if I count the total screens in dining and bedroom, including small screen, big screen, tablet ... we keep Best Buy in business! We are the Good Guys.. : )

Good Guys -- erstwhile electronics store.

Amica likes this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

:grinning:!
    In school days one of the unanswered questins was whether the nuns have anything under their habits.

Here is another phone-addiction cartoon.
    <The NY'er Nov6,2017>
    upload_2017-11-15_9-50-11.png
    <Rusty is whittling, the classic timepass of the old west>

Rihana likes this.
  3. Rihana

Talking of The NY'er, a recent or upcoming issue has many Tech articles. I could actually understand all of all the articles : ) gave one to Jr as assigned reading. No bribes involved! : )

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Nonya likes this.
  4. Rihana

K, your 'wondering' reminded of a setting where a woman's SIL comes over for a function or potluck, brings a dish or helps with the event nicely enough. Then, later sitting legs-crossed on the sofa, gives a casual "am wondering" comment about some trivial prop or decoration or thing used in event by the LOH, lady of the house. The comment highlights the SIL's good habit, good nature w.r.t the prop. Verbal bold font in comment. And a quotable quote to boot. LOH goes .. umm. err.. what? SIL reiterates her good habit, and with an 'to each their own' gets up to go put away the coffee cups. LOH looks at husband who is puzzled at the look. His sister just talked about a good habit she has. She did not indirectly put anyone down, did not send a slant message.

Thread's question was about mobile phone location at night and why. You gave that. Do you think it is possible the extra comment after that can discourage others and make them wonder whether they have to read, reread, write, rewrite, correct, every word and sentence praying fervently that a part of their starter post won't be picked apart, subject to needless dissection and cause wondering? Might make them scared to write in IL?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Nonya likes this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Actually, this was exactly what I wondered about when I read this part of your opening post:
    The other question, "why not" is an open and good question; an unconditional invitation for a healthy discussion, whereas this qualification would deter participation of those who do not keep the phones with them at night.

Also the connotation of "good and bad" is different from the connotation of "superior and inferior". For example smoking is a "bad" habit for it ruins the person's health and those around due to second-hand smoke. Whereas the habit cannot be ranked as superior or inferior. We do not know why the person took up smoking. There may be some reason, valid from the smoker's standpoint. So why judge that? That is my stance.

I do not see where I picked your opening post to pieces. I merely gave my point of view on categorizing habits as "superior" or "inferior".

I recognize that the above quote are my exact words from another thread and also my private message to you as a moderator when you asked me to explain my statement. I accepted your explanation and thought the matter was closed then and there. The subject matter of that incident is entirely different from this. You know that.

Very well! There is nothing left to say. I need to make some decisions.

Greenbay likes this.