Sleep With Your Mobile Phone Nearby?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you sleep with your mobile phone near you?

Yes: Why? Habit? Have to be available for emergency?
    No: Why not? You are a human with superior habits than most lesser mortals?

Amica likes this.

2. Rihana

It is near me due to possibility of unexpected India calls..... with that reason now less applicable... I guess it is because I use the alarm on the phone to wake up..

Amica and sumalynux like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

My cell phone is actually a little away from me because I primarily use it for alarm and if it is near me, I would just hit snooze and go back to sleep. Since turning it off requires getting up from the bed, I keep it away.

Also, my little one sleeps with me and I wouldn't risk keeping a phone near her head. With all the conflicting information about cell phone radiation etc., I just think it is better!!

Besides, I feel like I have this compulsive need to keep checking the phone if I have it near me instead of just going to sleep!

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Yes, for the simple reason that it is my alarm clock.

Amica and Rihana like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

No mobile phones. But there is a tablet-e-reader.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

for the alarm, that to at a distance.

Rihana likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

No.

I leave mine to charge downstairs in an area in the kitchen near my handbag, my badge, my lunch bag, umbrella, and mail to be posted, so that it is easy to take the whole paraphernalia with me when I leave for work.

It is just my habit giving it no second thought. So am wondering at the statement:
    I can never think of me as superior to anybody; I totally, totally abhor putting others down to make myself feel better.
    “You are no better than anyone else and no one is better than you.”
    — John Wooden
    has always been one of my core values.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I simply don't need my phone by me as there are no India calls anymore, job is not IT or a doctor who could be on call anytime for something or the other. Even back then I did not keep, for my landline was the place anyone could reach me and yes there is a phone in the bedroom, ringtone muted. And all my friends and family know that for some reason, I manage to misplace my mobile phone all the time, especially when I am home. And Yes, I still have a landline. Go figure!

So the long and short answer to your question is no :) I have a radio by me for an alarm - oh boy now I do sound like I am old. Who does these hings anyways but hey I love waking up to some songs and sleeping to songs as well. So in conclusion, my habits seem to be only old (that die hard!) and nothing more.

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

No.

Hehe! In fact, I am vain but not arrogant. The difference being, vanity is illusion about one's own skills, whereas, arrogance is underestimation of other's skills. I am vain with superior habits, I have always admitted that. I am not kidding. I am self-aware that I am vain.

Few years ago, I was involved in a discussion on Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) and Electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EMH) and ionizing and non-ionizing Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) of mobile devices. I was utterly confused. I stopped cuddling my phone in sleep after that.

That said, I am not a sought-after creature in social circles. I am not on Facebook. I am hardly in whatsapp groups. I am not part of any alum sororities or fraternities. I prefer light social engagement. Moreover, there's nothing very escalatory in my life that cannot wait for few hours. Someone told me once, there is nothing you can do in the middle of the night, so you better wait for the morning common sense to take over. I think it was HG Wells.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    ashima10 and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

LOL. I have that habit of checking phone when we are watching a movie. : )
    It is used only for that reason, that puts you squarely in the humans with super human habits. : ) One's simple reason is another's super human reason. : )

MalStrom likes this.