1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Routines And Night Feeds

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Needtobestrong, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I have few doubts regarding night time and sleep routines for baby between 7-12 months age...
    SpecialLy bottle fed babies taking formula milk and solid foods..if breastfeeding has been stopped..
    1.How many hours is a baby of 7-12 months supposed to sleep at night...how many hours daytime naps..totally how many hours per day ..
    2. If baby sleeps at a stretch for 7-8 hours should the baby be woken up for feeds...I.e bottle feed..
    Or should baby be allowed to sleep for 8-9 hours at a stretch till the time of waking up in the morning...
    3. How many hours gap are acceptable between feeds at night time..maximum?
    4. Do babies get dehydrated or get gas, colic pains etc if there is more than 6 hours gap between feeds?
    5. If the baby cries for hunger and we give bottle feed its ok, but it is acceptable if the baby does not feel hungry at night and does not cry for milk and refuses to drink from bottle?
    I had these doubts and different people gave different inputs so got confused..

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@Needtobestrong- It's easier if you consider 4-7 months (take 3 naps) and 8-12 months (2 naps) during the day.
    At 8th-month babies usually, start to teeth and have 8th month sleep regression. If your 7-month-old baby was having 3 naps from 8th month, they cut 1 nap and usually get 2 naps during the day.

1. During the night 12 hour sleep for 8-12 months and my DS took 2 hour naps and 2 naps during the day.
    2.NO. If your baby is sleeping 12 hour straight during the night. Don't wake him to feed him.
    3. 9-12 month shouldn't wake up at all during the night for night time feed.
    4.No. I didnt have any issues, with gas or colic pains. During the day I gave him prune juice and lots of water.
    5. At 8th month babies have a sleep regression. I will share a link please go through The (Dreaded) 8-10 Month Sleep Regression

8th month is hard. My Ds used to cry exactly at 9PM every day, he would sleep at 6 PM. I would pick him up wash his face and maybe give him some milk around 4 oz in my bedroom and put him in his crib. The routine of doing it made it easy for him to transition the 8th month regression.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

One more doubt..new born babies are expected to be woken up and fed every 1-2 hours..but at what age are they allowed to sleep through the night without waking them up for feeds? My relative told me that from 3 months age itself her son started sleeping from 9pm to 5am without waking for feeds..is it a little early?

4. blindpup10

@Needtobestrong- At 3 months old- babies wake up every 2 hours to be fed because they are on "only milk". At 6-month-old babies start to intake solid food. That's the only reason they are able to sleep for much longer without wanting to be fed during the night time.
    I want to say every baby is different. My DS at 3 months was a very silent baby himself and I had to wake him to be feed. If I don't wake him, he would sleep throughout the night.
    At 4th month babies go through a regression phase, where they are adapting to REM sleep. REM sleep is lighter and easier for the babies to be disturbed. I had a white noise machine and my DS last feeding hour was 12 am. Although he used to go to sleep at 6 pm. He would wake up at 12 am and one more round of feeding for him to sleep through.

The regression phase is maybe for 1 month at the max and from 5th month my DS slept for 12 hours straight until 8th-month regression.

5. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

hi @Needtobestrong , @blindpup10
    Let me share the sleep story of my 9 weeks old

My baby girl is 9 weeks old and she sleeps late at night around 12 am and then wakes up around 2 or 3 am and then she is completely awake. Whereas we as new parents are completely exhausted at her wake up time 2 or 3 am. She is like talk to me mommy, showering smiles, full of activity after she is fed at 2 or 3 am. This time period is very difficult for me as I am at the end of my energy level, patience and want sleep to remain energetic next day. She then goes to her daddy at around 5am -5.30am, and I sleep for 2-3 hours (with interruption) She then takes nap in morning, afternoon and in late afternoon.

What worries me is that sometimes she literally fights with sleep, she won't sleep even if she is completely tired. We tried to create sleep environment, put on lullabies, dim lights, night baths but she sleeps only when she wants to.
    She is happy to sleep on mommy and daddy's chest, though, so I try to make her sleep using moby wrap (baby carrier).
    Pacifier is our great help in the night time, when she gets pacifier into her mouth all her movements stop and she focuses on sleep. It does not help each and every time but most of the time it does.
    We are trying mommy bliss night time gripe water to help her calm down in the night, it helps when she can't sleep because of gases.
    I agree that every baby is different. We are still waiting for her to sleep in the night, wake up when she is hungry at night and then again fall into sleep. We still do not have a routine, chaos is our only routine, each and every day is different. One day in a week she makes us completely exhausted and we run out of ideas to make her sleep. Whereas sometimes she sleeps whole day waking only for feedings.

Please give your opinion

6. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I had exactly these questions in my mind when my DS was of that age. As a 8 months old baby, he used to sleep for 8-9 hours at a stretch and like you, I was worried too.

My replies in RED below.

guesshoo and Needtobestrong like this.
  7. blindpup10

@Avanti30- I am going to ask you few questions--
    Has your pead said your DD has colic?
    If its not colic and its just gas-- give her prune juice. Ask your ped once before giving.
    This is the recipe I used--
    *Boil prune and raisin together.
    *drain the water and keep it.
    *Take the boiled prune n raisins and grind into a smooth paste.
    *take the paste and the remaining water from the boiling process and boil it again.
    * filter it ( i used to filter it more than thrice)

You can store the filtered prune juice as concentrated and give it along with some water as gripe water for gas. Please consult your Pead once again regarding giving prune juice for gas.

Some pointers
    * I will post few 2months old schedule. Try to adapt it. And do the same things at the same time everyday. Children like consistency.8 Week Old / 2 Month Old Routine / Schedule
    *more or less your DD will already be doing this-- but regularize a routine for your DD by either following her natural routine or adapt one routine which is closest to her natural routine.

*get your DD tired, during the day. She should have rolled by 4 months. So let her lie on the ground. Use this playmat --http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-baby-gyms-and-playmats/-/A-15044265?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby_Top%20Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031539&gclid=CMCRqNnwytICFQ-bfgodWVcKbQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
    * get her to play with toys, rattles were a blessing with my DS. At this age, they will just sleep at the same place, that gives you time to do all the work.
    *give her oil bath. This helps them to get tired. I would even apply oil for head and leave it for a half an hour before the bath.
    * swaddle your DD while feeding her. This helps them to get snuggled in and sleep. Swaddle during all the feeds.
    * lay her to bed at 6pm or 7pm dim the lights while feeding her.
    * even if she doesn't sleep- lay her in the crib and walk away. Lay the pacifier.
    * mobile toy helped my DS to fall asleep. Target : Expect More. Pay Less. After feed, my DS would watch the mobile toy with music and fall asleep on his terms-- he would lay in the crib and make noises for awhile before falling asleep.
    * you don't have to pick your DD if she is awake. She can be in the crib.
    * give warm milk.
    * After feeding her during the night, lay her in the crib. Make this a consistent.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Avanti30 and Needtobestrong like this.
  8. Avanti30

Avanti30 Gold IL'ite

Hey @blindpup10
    love your detailed suggestions
    DD is not colicky it is just the gas
    Will certainly ask the doctor about homemade prune juice
    loved the suggestion for toys. I am getting one immediately. Thanks a ton, can't thank you enough.

One question to you and all the ladies reading this post, have you ever tried to put lavender aromatic candle in baby's room (in a secured place) to help baby relax and calm down. I mean is it allowed to light an aromatic candle in baby's room ?

Needtobestrong and blindpup10 like this.
  9. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Avanti 30,

I would never light a candle, let alone fire risks, we dont know what chemicals are in the candle.. maynot be suitable for a baby..
    Also it takes a couple of months for babies to get used to the rhythm..Do you think your baby may still be hungry and cant go to sleep? My LO was a bit fussy even after feeding, and realized she was hungry and couldn't go to sleep until she was full..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Needtobestrong and blindpup10 like this.
  10. blindpup10

@Avanti30- I don't know about the aromatic candles. I think it will take awhile for babies to relax with candles.

Like gonegirl has said-- it definitely will take awhile for your DD gets accustomed to a schedule. But start is as early as possible coz it helps the babies to feel consistent about their routine.
    The other thing I wanted to tell if after feeding/ burping if you are not comfortable to leave your DD in the room alone---lay your dd in the crib and be in the room for awhile. Until she falls asleep. But don't pick her up. She will keep talking/ watching the mobile toy and may fall asleep when it's time. Until then stay in the room-- don't have to pick her up.

First few times to maintain the routine will be hard for you and DD but do it with all the wails and tears. if you are being consistent about the routine-- In a matter of a week-- there will be no tears and it might get better for your DD to almost expect things to happen as per the schedule.

Needtobestrong and Avanti30 like this.