1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep deprived!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vmtaurus, Oct 1, 2012.

1. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

I am hoping to get some good advice from mommies out there.
    My DS is now 5 months old and used to sleep through the night till about 3 months...I was at my mom's place till then and he would wake to nurse 2-3 times a night. After moving back in with my husband, his sleep routine has totally gotten off track! He went through all the classic 19th wonder week signs till about 2 days back. He seems more settled now generally but is only sleeping mostly during the day now! He usually goes to sleep between 7 pm to 8 pm and then wakes up around 11 pm to 12 am for a feed. Once he wakes up at this time, he just does not go back to sleep! His all time record now since 2 days has been 6 am! Needless to say, I am exhausted! He is very bright, and active and playful. I must mention he is also gassy..so even if he tires himself out by around 1:30-2, the gas (which he would otherwise pass off without a fuss during the day) becomes a moot point for him. He cries and fusses till we help him release the gas.
    I just am not able to settle into any sort of pattern or routine. I have started working from home, and do not find time during the day to catch up on my sleep. I must mention he is exclusively breastfed.
    Please tell what I should do ladies...I am desperate!
    HELP!

2. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Welcome to the club, Taurus>:mad: My DS used to sleep and wake up only once or max twice for feed until he was 3 months old. Now he is 4.5 months old. Since then he wakes up frequently to nurse and now wakes up thrice to nurse. Exactly like your kid, he goes down at 7 PM and wakes up around 11 PM-12 AM to nurse but goes down without fuss.

Does he sleep in a crib? What I found is once he woke up at 11 PM, he would not go down easily when he slept in the crib. So I ended up cosleeping. I just feed him lying down when he wakes up around 2 AM and then at 5:30 AM. Gives all of us plenty of time to catch up on sleep.

Try doing this, if it works. Alas, this is the only thing that has worked for us. Else, we would spend hours putting him back to sleep once he woke up.

I thought it was the 19th week wonder too, but now he is close to being 5 months old, but I see no sign of getting his old sleep schedule back.

Please be patient and try this.

Try giving him a massage everyday before bedtime, it works wonders. I swear by it. Will also releive him of gas.

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your inputs Tulip lady. We do co-sleep. Unfortunately he does go to sleep on his own and needs to be rocked and patted down to sleep. Also, when I tried feeding him lying down, he would go to sleep but awaken shortly because he has to burp..and because he is sleepy he would wake up crying. So, now I just wake up, sit and then feed him and put him down.
    His feeds have also increased now. Almost 1.5 hours again..just like when he was a newborn. I am hoping it is a phase..and will pass..soon. I do give him a massage but that also works for about 1 hour or so...and then he is up again either bcos of gas, sleep, hunger or teething ;(