1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Slacker Kids In School Group Projects

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kid comes home with a group project, and teacher has made the groups randomly. Often, one or more kid in the group will be a slacker. For whatever reason - lacking in academic or other skills, plain lazy, in too many activities, anything.

At the 9-14 year age group, how do you help your kid handle such situations? The project grade depends on the entire group's effort, all will receive the same grade irrespective of what effort each has put in.

U.S. school teachers usually discourage any reporting of a slacking team mate, and just tell the kids to work as a "team".

How to turn this into a teachable moment? Life will have many such situations. What specifically can the kid do about a slacker partner or team-mate?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Firstly, instead of perpetuating a sense of frustration, the situation should be framed as a learning opportunity, both about the nature of people and the nature of the workplace. This pattern persists throughout life. There is no escaping it. Every workplace is a macro version of the group project. The Pareto principle applies in all things -- 80% of the work in any organization is performed by 20% of the people. Learning to navigate through it is a necessary life-skill. Secondly, even if the slacker kid receives the same grade, sooner or later he/she will meet a wall they cannot scale. They will rise to the level of their incompetence and stagnate. The hard working kids might help a few slackers sail through but more importantly they will learn to rely on their work ethic. The rewards aren't immediately apparent but they are significant.

As far as reporting a slacker teammate goes, most courses I took required all team-members to fill out a quantitative assessment of each of their teammates. I've written harsh reviews for non-performers. I don't know if it made a difference but it did help me feel like I'd been heard. Perhaps a group of students could approach the teacher and request a peer-assessment form to be included as part of the project deliverables.

Even though teachers assign the same grades to students with vastly different performance-levels, they are generally aware of who contributed the lion's share of the effort. I always did when I was teaching. Emailing the teacher, or approaching her to report progress or ask questions is a good idea to get face time, and ensure that she knows you're working.

Another approach is to discuss people management strategies with the child, almost as a dress-rehearsal for future conundrums. Delegate the least important parts of the project to the slacker, have them work with someone in a pair, provide a schedule, followup on their progress, and offer to help. Study the person to discover ways to get them to perform. Of course all of these should not have to come at the cost of extra time and effort on the part of the more dedicated students.

From personal experience, I'd say, just do the work. What you gain from it, in terms of knowledge, confidence and experience, will be worth the extra hours you put in making up for a slacker teammate.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    sindmani, Rihana and jskls like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Once DD and another classmate were assigned a group work. The classmate disappeared over the weekend. DD ended up doing lion's share. All I said was its your learning experience about people, about the subject. Nothing learnt will go waste. This is how it is going to be real time. Teacher knew from the way it was done what was other persons contribution

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gauri, can I frame that and put on my kid's wall? :) Well said.

jskls, that's what happened to my kid's project. Other two kids just didn't show up. I luckily predicted that, and had prepped dad and kid. So what would have become an entire weekend project ended up being just 3-4 hours, and nicely 'guided' but not 'taken over' by dad.

But, later we were talking about the questions I wrote in first post, and it struck me that till they are at least 14 or 15, they may not know how to deal with it. High school is different, and they are more mature and able to deal with it.

Teacher does know, almost all the time, I think.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    sindmani, Gauri03 and jskls like this.