1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Skipping breakfast - the good and the bad?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by varshini, Nov 26, 2006.

1. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

My husband has started skipping breakfast after coming to the US. He says that many of his American work colleagues are not having breakfast either. Americans are telling him that it is good to skip breakfast so that the stomach doesn't feel heavy and that he can be brisk. Is there truth to this?

Varshini

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Varshini,
    it is not good to skip breakfast. This is the first meal of the day which we need to keep us going till lunch time. Without food, we may not be able to do our job well. Has your hubby not heard the saying that says that we should eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch normally and dinner as a beggar?
    Never send him to work without the first meal. Our experts will give you more detailed responses, I m sure.

3. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Don't Skip Breakfast !

Dear Varshini,

Even I have heard that skipping breakfast is not good...! Even the doctors insists that one should take breakfast no matter what. Your stomach is empty without food overnite, so morning breakfast acutally gives u the energy to take up the day's load with stamina...!

The repercurrsions of skipping breakfast may not be felt now, but as you grow old...If am not wrong, starving like this will lead to acidity and eventually to ulcer...

Better advice ur husband to have breakfast...ask him not to get carried away by the eating habits of westerns...their system is totally different from ours, better stick to our food habits for a better health !

Love,
    Preethi

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

If we skip breakfast, we are likely to become tired when our brains and bodies run low on fuel. By mid-morning, a lot of us grab a cup of coffee, or wolf down a sugary candy bar to wake up again. This might work for a few minutes, but by lunch time we are hungry, crabby, and perhaps our mood might make us a little more prone to making unhealthy choices at lunch. Eating a good breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day.

People who eat breakfast are generally more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Many people believe that they will lose weight if they skip meals, but that isn't a good idea. The body expects to be refueled a few times a day, so start with a healthy breakfast.

For more info read this-

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Breakfast?OpenDocument

5. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

do not skip breakfast

Hi,

I have gone through that , skipping breakfast and having a brunch instead. But it didn't work out.
    I didn't do it for dieting or slimming purposes. I was doing it under pressure from household duties, no time in the morning to sit down and have breakfast. So I planned to have it a little later around 11/11.30 or so. Then I couldn't take lunch till 4/5 pm. Even if I had my lunch or not I used to feel heavy and tired, fagged out as 'cheer' said .Finally I stopped and started having my usual breakfast , lunch and dinner schedule, I became normal.
    You'll tend to collect fluid and the retention will make you feel tired and heavy by the evening. So please do not do it.
    Latha :wave

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

The saying goes......

"Breakfast like an Emperor, Lunch like a King and Supper like a pauper"

The above saying must have come from some very wise person. This is strictly followed in even today's Europe. Hence, like my friends here say, breakfast should not be skipped Varshini! I am surprised that his American friends advise your hubby to do so...Well, this is the world of Starbuck's coffee anyways:)

L, Kamla

7. ananthaneeraja

ananthaneeraja New IL'ite

Skipping Breakfast

Hi varshini,
    It is not good to skip Breakfast for anyone. For the complete night we will not be taking anything ,its just like fasting.That's why it is necessary to take Breakfast.Regular breakfast will help in reducing the weight also.
    without taking anything in the morning one cannot concentrate on workand they feel like eating junkfood which is not good for health.
    Neeraja.

8. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

It is a country with variety in breakfast too

Hi Varshini,

I am surprised that your husband's American friends told they skip breakfast while this country has so much variety in breakfast too.

Till I came here I have never seen so many variations in cereals and oats. Need not mention about variety of breads!

Kamla,

The saying you have quoted is superb :clap

Kanmani

9. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Never skip breakfast

Hi
    One should never skip breakfast.
    We'll take dinner 2hr before going to bed.
    And we'll get up in the morning, after some 7,8 hrs sleep.
    So for 10-11 hrs,we are not eating any thing. Then we'll feel weak if we dont take breakfast. So one should take breakfast.
    is that time a problem for u?
    Then dont prepare anything heavy. U can take one fruit, one glass of milk and if possible take dates. Dates will help us a lot. U'll get much more energy when u eat dates. Daily taking fruit and milk in the morning will do wonders with ur health.
    I used to do this. So never skip breakfast.
    This is my sincere request.
    I hope u'll follow it.

Love
    Gayathri:) :)

10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

skipping breakfast is bad.,because the last meal we take is the previous night.there is a long gap. it makes the blood sugar level drop plus it causes acidity. studies show that people who have breakfast do better. ideal continental breakfast would brown bread.corn flakes and cup of juice of orange juice plus couple of nuts like badam or walnuts. take our own food which is equally healthy 2 iddlis ,or pongal or dosai or uppama. even oats orragi kanji is good. fruits like bananas give u instant energy. even apples are good. they say papaya is very good for health. lunch can a lighter one. but never skip breakfast.brain works better when u eat a healthy breakfast.