Skanda Shashti and Vratham with pictures of Lord Muruga

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by malspie, Nov 6, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

SKANDA SHASHTI

Skanda Shashti falls on the sixth day of between the period Oct 15 to Nov 15.

Harassed by the powers of evil, the devas along with their head “Indra” approached the Supreme Lord who gave them a message saying “Only the spark of Shiva can produce the warrior who would destroy the evil”. When devas went to Lord Shiva, he could not be disturbed as he was lost in deep meditation as usual.

Lord Brahma suggested that Parvathi Devi should attract Shiva with her powerful penance and Kama Deva should arouse the feelings of love in Lord Shiva. As Kama Deva shot the cupid arrow, Mahadeva in return reduced him to ashes. The anger that sprouted from the third eye of Mahadeva, traveled few paths and was later discovered in Saravana (Forest of grass which looks like arrows) and thus was born Lord Skanda or Saravanabhava who divided himself in to six babies to be raised by six mothers of the divine constellation of Krithika or Karthikai. Later Parvathi decided to raise the baby and named him Shanmuka who was later called as Kumaran and as Murugan too. He received valor and knowledge from his mother and was called as Shakti Velan. He destroyed demons like Tarakasura, Surapadman and Simhamukha after a vigorous battle of six days and thus he liberated the Devas from the clutches and harassment of the Asuras.

This sixth day also called as Shashti of the waxing moon also called as Shukla Paksha of the month of Thula (Oct 15 to Nov 15) is celebrated as Skandha Shashti.

Indra gave the hands of his daughter Deviyani / Devasena to Skanda. Murugan also married a gypsy damsel ‘Valli’.

SKANDA SHASHTI VRATHAM CELEBRATIONS

The sixth day of the war when Lord Skanda destroyed the devils is celebrated as completion of SKANDA SHASHTI VRATHAM. Few devotees fast all the six days and read Skanda Shashti Kavacham and other related prayers of Lord Muruga, while some just offer prayers and sing hymns. Few avoid eating non-vegetarian food. Some devotees eat only one meal a day either lunch or dinner! Some devotees fast for all the six days! Fasting should be done depending upon your health, according to my opinion.
    Devotees who read the Tirumurukatrupadai will attain success in his undertakings and have constant raise in income.
    The Tiruppugal is also read by many devotees.
    Some also take Kavaddi.
    Famous temples like Tiruchendur, Tirupparankunram, Pazhamudir solai, Palani, Swamimalai, and Tiruttani have celebrations for six days.

Attached Files:

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

A small attempt from Malspie!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mals,

Very happy... !! Good crisp description with HIS beautiful pictures. Blessed ...

Wishing you a lot !!

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

My Dear Gowri,

You are a darling as you always seem to hit my thread faster than a hare!

Thanks dearie.

5. Ambige

Ambige Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mals,

Thank for the Shasti viratham and descriptions. You have given all the six avatharams of murugan and made us really blessed. Thanks a ton. I'm also reading kanda shasti kavasam. I'll continue this till Nov.15. But I don't have Tirumurukatrupadai or Thirupugal. Thanks for your timely posting.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi

You have been patient dear! I admire your sincere wait and devotion towards the Vratham. Lord Murugan is watching and will bless you surely.

7. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malsy,

Great post and wonderful pictures as usual.:thumbsup

Pleasure reading all about Lord Muruga.

At our temple near home I attended the Laksharchanai on 3rd Saturday with two neighbour friends.It was a blissful experience hearing the priests chanting and partaking of the prasad after the arti.

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pauli,

Thanks dearie, you are always a source of encouragement to me!

Love always dearie. In Mumbai, we do not have much of Murugan Temple.

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mals,

I happened to see this posting only today. Lord Muruga (aka Subramnya or Skanda) is my favorite God and that best explains why I got drawn to this post. This is an awesome post with wonderful information about Skanda and Skanda Shasti.

BTW, I thought SKanda Shasti (atleast fasting) lasted only for 6 days in the month of thula (ie. aiypasi in Tamil) and this year 2008 it was Oct 29th to Nov 3rd. Legend has it that the battle between Lord Skanda and demon Surapadma continued for 6 days. Soorasamharan (killing of the demon) took place on the sixth day and that Muruga killed the demon with his 'Vel' and that is Shasti.

So people fast all 6 days or some only on the 6th day, recite skanda shasti kavasam, skanda guru kavasam, thirupugzhal, etc. during the 6 days. But I see that you have mentioned the entire month of thula celebrated as Shasti? So is the fasting and recital complete only if we do for all 30 days?

Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks,
    Malathy

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malathy,

I am feeling honoured to see you in my humble post.

Devotees fast for 6 days and recite the shlokas. There are few hard core devotees who fast and pray for 30 days and hold related functions too, though it is not necessary to do so.

The Six days ritual holds prime importance.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008