1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Situation with my Father in Law

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by papoosh, Mar 22, 2011.

1. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am new here, but have browsed numerous sections for lots of ideas. Reaching out here since I am quite a private person and would not dream of reaching out to my family or friends with this.

My husband and I got married around a year ago. We had a love marriage having known each other for 7 years before we decided to tie the knot..having lived with each other before to figure out whether we could really live together or not.

I have never known my mother-in-law as she died before I even got introduced to the family, but my father-in-law lives with us currently. Just as a background, while we got married only a year ago, I have been more or less living under the same roof for almost two years as my husband was quite unwell and on bedrest for months..so I had practically moved it to nurse him back to health and never quite moved out...until I moved in post marriage.

I come from an extremely liberal house where as while my husband's upbringing was pretty orthodox, he himself is far far more forward than I am. However, he has also been an extremely pampered person, being both the first grandchild and the son in the family. Everything was pretty hunky dory before marriage, except for a few digs about drinking etc that my FIL would make..but nothing that was too bad.

Post marriage however, it has been a totally different story. On the one hand i have my husband who expects me to now be the woman of the house so to speak..and have the house running smoothly and efficiently like his mother used to. On the other, my FIL has turned out to be my FIL and MIL rolled into one and is extremely insecure about me taking his son away from him. Both of us work extremely long hours and are home only by around 10 at night...and leave by 10 in the morning. In this scenario, I am left with a little bit of housework at night (since we only have a part time maid)..which in my husband's opinion all falls on me. Over the last few months, I have managed to have my husband realise that he needs to help out a little more at home and has taken on somethings willingly, which is also not sitting very well with my FIL.

When we met 8 years ago, I had promised my husband I would never ever make him choose between his family and me as I felt this would be very unfair on him and I have kept that promise till date. When we got married, as we started talking about day to day life, we also decided that since my husband does not feel like he can ever say anything to my FIL (coz he threatens to kill himself or run away and freaks my husband out), wen friction does arise, he will stay out of it...so that he does not take sides at all in public. He is free to speak to his father or to me if he feels either of us was wrong so we can correct this behaviour.

Lately the situation in our house has become very very bad....my FIL says one thing in front of me and does completely the opposite behind my back that is making running the house very very difficult for me. Typically he will just buy whatever provisions he feels like and stuff it in different places in the house and we end up throwing away thousands of rupees worth of stuff every month since we have too much of it and all of it gets spoilt. On top of that, the few times when my husband decides to get involved, he will find something and shout at me right there without a single chance for me to even talk. My FIL will smile and talk to me very sweetly in front of my husband, or sweetly talk about me when he and my husband are alone...but when my husband is out of the picture, it is almost as if I do not exist for him. We also have a dog, and no matter how much we have tried to train her, it always goes down the drain as my FIL will never stick to how our dog needs to be disciplined. This would really not be a problem, except that everytime our dog then gets aggressive, my husband and FIL turn to me and have an instant solution for it..and blame me that she is not behaving well. As I have mentioned, my husband has been extremely pampered and has not lifted a finger all his life, and I while I have been pampered, also come from a house where everyone including my father does his share of work. Everytime I try to steer my husband towards even helping out a little bit in the house, my FIL will instantly do something that dilutes all my effort and paint me as the villain instead. Also he has a lot of difficulty in understanding the fact that my husband and I might like to have a little time alone or the fact that I do not like the kind of breakfast that they like or prefer north indian over south indian food...I know all of these are small incidents...

But day on day, every single day when there's constant friction, my husband turns and explodes..and always in the drawing room...so much so...that even though he says he will never take sides, I always end up being shouted at and ridiculed.

I have made every single effort in my book from day one to accomodate by bending over backwards. I have learnt and am still learning to cook the kind of food they eat in the house. I even hired a cook and made the effort to teach her since I could not cook every day with my work times...I have laughed off all jabs that me makes at me, I have tried speaking to him patiently time and again to explain things over and over again..I have tried to help him take care of his health...I have learnt to stay quiet when he wants to rant...and when my husband loses his cool..and talk to him later in our bedroom...While my FIL will do all this, he will still reach out to me when he needs something as my husband will be busy...and I always comply...I have learnt to ignore his moods and continue as normal..even when he takes everything, right form asking him to please not buy more sooji...till asking him to eat on time so his sugar can be controlled..so much so that now I pretty much leave it to him..and interact only when necessary...still...friction arises when my husband keeps pulling me up for example for my FIL not having eaten or when he shouts at me in the drawing room...never mind that he doesn't even know the whole story...my husband has some idea of specific incidents...for example when i was on bedrest for a week..and my FIL didn't even bother to figure out how i was feeling but still wanted to tell me how cruel I was by keeping old sambar for him..when I had not been out of my room for a week. When my husband tried to talk to him about it...my FIL told him I had given our dog fresh food and left old food for him!! This shocked even my husband coz he knows I will never ever do anything like that. But this is a rare incident, and more often than not, my husband will throw a fit at me invariably...no matter what the situation. The other day I had a complete breakdown at home coz I had just cleaned kitchen from top to bottom once again (within 2 days) on our few very precious weekends coz my FIL had as usual turned everything upside down. For once my husband saw what had happened, but still when my FIL asked why i was crying he just told him that i was genly in a foul mood and frustrated with the maid...and then asked me to keep it down..

I am not sure what I should do now. I cannot call my FIL's bluff as that would mean bitching to my husband about him..and that is something I cannot do, he will never believe it..and even if he did, he will not be able to do a thing about it. But I also need some amount of support at home. I cannot keep being the villain in public..no matter what my husband might say in private... I need some peace of mind at home with my husband..and I am completely at a loss...would appreciate any help you all can suggest.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Did you commited to your husband that you take care of your FIL?

Your FIL might have some personality and you can't change that personality and if he had some habits,which you don't like ,you can't make them perfect.

First thing,stop taking care of everything in the house.Do whatever you could efford and don't starighten up everyone and everything house.

Your husband can have some expecations and doesn't mean that you can acheive it.Sometime you never could reach his expectations.
    Stop reaching to there expectations.

You need to clearly tell your husband what you can offer and what you can't offer.Don't push yourself to exterme.

If you FIL had habit of buying provisions,then let them spioil,at the end nicely tell your husband to clean them out.

Your FIL living habits may not suite you.But it's just better ignore those.
    If you are not able to do something which you have been doing,tell him clearly you may need to get more help from outside .

Just don't take quitly all those expectations.Discuss with him,if needed hire more help or tell your husband clearly you can't efford those items to take care and ask him to take care.

At the end ,I really didn't understand the real issues between you and your FIL.you gave in the issue in abstact.If you could tell the real things then people may here help you to handle them .

You need to speak up before they speak up.

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

When your husband had told you before hand, that he doesnt like to be dragged into all this...but now that he is stepping in to support his father and beat you down with nasty comments....YOU GOT TO SHOW HIM HIS PLACE!!!!

Dont blame your FIL....he is just doing what he is allowed to do.....really all of us DILs think our inlaws are monsters....I know some of them act that way...but why??? because the husbands allow it....There are several old proverbs also...Its all on the husband ....if he calls his wife crap...then even a beggar would do that.

Just think about it. If your husband had really stayed out of all this..as he told you initially am sure your FIL would have got the point that nomatter what he does to show you down..your husband wont talk a bit...then slowly your FIL would have taken a step back..but these shoutings, asking you to bend backwards etc...is all making things more nastier.

couple of things for you to work on..DO NOT TRY TO CONTROL what your FIL buys..let him buy what he wants...to but one day call yoru husband to clean up all that mess...i.e make your husband search for all those spoiled groceries and throw it out...Make him throw those ...so that after doing that for couple of times..he would understand your pain..even if he doesnt understand,, inside his brain and heart he will start wondering why is his father wasting so much of money...now that you are throwing away the stuff you are feeling the pinch...but one day just tell him..I WANT YOU TO DO IT come and throw all this spoiled groceries away. Period.

Next thing is...I really want you to look for a fulltime help...someone who can actually be at home and give you a helping hand around the house....it makes it easier!! Look for a fulltime help..as you also have a dog, even that animal needs some care and love and needs to be taken for walks etc...

Last but not least....TIME to talk to your husband. TELL HIM TO EITHER back off or you are gonna take it up directly with your FIL. enough of you laying low.

Remember this is all teh start of the abuse story...initially it starts with inlaws shouting and making DILs life miserable...and next husband starts pitching in to support his parents..DIL left to feel alone and helpless...bending backwards and slowly the rifts increase and husband and wife keep fighting all the time. you dont want to go to the last step....

So better talk to him and tell him to watchout what he is doing and saying infront of his father..and just like the way he doesnt like to let down his father infront of you...youd ont like it , if your husband involves in every small thing that happens b/w you and your FIL. if your husband cant trust you enough, then there is no point of calling this love or marriage!!!! he has to trust you with his father...and you being the care taker of his house and father. if he doesnt trust you..no matter how much ever innocent youa re....he will keep putting you down infront of his father...and slowly it will be blown out of proportion as one day you will loose your cool.

TELL HIM TO BACKOFF its time!!!He has only one option if he doesnt want to live away from his father. either he stops involving b/w you and his father and keeps quiet until your and your FIL figure out issues...or you both have to live separately(which he may not agree). TELL HIM the repercussions and please do not plan for a kid until you figure out things...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

I think I found my Fil's lost Brother...:rotfl
    I have been dealing with my fil from last 10 yrs of my marriage. Just like you I have been labeled as evil dil in public. He has a habit of eating junk foods and neglecting healthy foods. I hid the junk foods for a week and was upset about his weird health habbit. He in turn told the whole world that I starved him to death for a week without giving food and had put a long face.

Take your dh for a long walk and explain to him the issues calmly. You cannot keep these issues with you forever. It's going to burn you. You have to tell him the pain that you are going through. Tell him about your fil's attitude that's really bothering you. Also request your dh to accompany your fil for your next shopping and ask his suggestion where to store groceries/vegetables. Tell him you are not as smart as his mom and you really want to learn how to maintain your household efficiently and his advise would be of great help.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I agree with rest of advice here.

Tell your husband, That you cannot physically take care of a hectic job and then everything at home. Either he is to pitch in and hire Full time help who will do majority of houshold work. If required hire two maids ,what ever makes your life managable.

Stop telling you FIL what he should buy /not buy. If you feel he is wasting, let it go waste...Your husband will take it up when he feels the pinch.

Food wise -- If you like your food , Go ahead and make it for yourself...DOn't expect anybody to eat it. Cook for your self and enjoy. DOn't deprive yourself.

Just because you are in a love marriage, Don't bend backwards. You husband also need to feel equal responsibility to take care of you and make things easier for you. So talk to him as to what is upsetting you and ask his help

6. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi All of you,

Thank you so much for the advice. In the heat of the moment, I can now see, my husband came off coloured as far more of a monster than he is. Nevertheless, a lot of the issues do exist, and things at home are much calmer here. It helped to go and have a heart to heart with my FIL as well as with my Husband.

Just wanted to also say, that, it is unfair to my husband to have portrayed him with far less credit that he deserves...he is an extremely intelligent and witty guy who can reduce me to peals of laughter at the drop of a hat...and is one of the most liberal men I have met in my entire life :)

Thank you all again...for the advice and more importantly for helping me feel a little less alone navigating the ups and downs of marriage :)