Singapore Spice Bazaar! Information about Groceries availability!

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Singapore' started by AbhiSing, Mar 24, 2008.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear all

Where do you all buy your groceries and veggies everymonth? Please come up with your answer so that we all can benefit from it especially those who have moved in to S'pore recently.

I buy my indian vegetables like murungaikai, vaazhaipoo, thandu, kothavangai, keerais etc from mustaffa or one of the shops near tekka market. Other vegetables and fruits I buy from NTUC fairprice. Groceries and milk I started ordering from Selvi stores. Although it is bit pricier than mustaffa, the quality is better.Even the small onions I get from them.

Interested to know about the other places as well.

2. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I buy veggies and groceries from shop near tekka market.. I order monthly groceries along with vegetables from Cholan Trading. After that for subsequent vegetable buying, I buy either from Cholan Trading or maimoon next to Cholan. The groceries he sends is also of good quality. so I never really bothered to go to mustafa to carry everything on my own :D

Only time I visit mustafa is to buy varieties of snacks etc etc.. Fruits, bread etc etc, I either buy from NTUC or ShengShiong (both are few busstops away.)

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sarada for the input.

I used to buy from Cholan many years ago, when they were a few shops away from the present location and if I am not wrong the ownership is different now.. But still I buy veggies from maimoon, or from the shop opposite to the Hanifa in dunlop st.

4. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi Vijee,
    I am not sure abt the old cholan. I started buying from him since 3 yrs only. before that I used to carry groceries all the way from mustafa *phew*.
    Previously I used to order through ShivSagar website. The groceries and veggies are bit expensive, but they do carry portable nets machine so that you dont hv to rush to atm to withdraw the money when they call u to say that they are bringing vegetables Big Laugh

Also veggies beside Jyothi flower shop are also good (the cornershop beside anandabhavan).

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Srada

I find the shop beside Jyothi to be expensive. Dont you think so. I only buy the seasonal fruits from India like Navappazham, red guava, nenthrampazham, Elandhaipazham etc from them, even though the price is exorbiant. Some times I cant help it.

6. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Hi Vijee,
    for that matter, all the indian vegetables are expensiveRant
    no choice but to buy..
    I buy indian mangoes from all the shops no matter how expensive they are. infact, I am waiting eagerly for the mangoes :drool hmm..
    btw.. so sorry but I could not understand the names of the fruits.. yenakku tamil teriyaaduBig Laugh. My mother tongue is telugu. even maimoon shop is also bit expensive i guess.. do you feel the same?

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Yes mango season is coming. Have to see if some friends coming from India.:goodidea:. My parents will send a bulk thru them usually. If not I buy in mustaffa. Even NTUC will have the tasty indian mangoes soon:drool.

Yes Sarada Maimoon is expensive. But we have no choice right? Most of the veggies I buy either in prime supermarket/NTUC only. The greens are fresh and we pay for the exact weight unlike the weighing machines in serangoonRant.

8. sarada

sarada Senior IL'ite

Mangoes, I generally buy in mustafa, ntuc and sheng shiong (they started selling last year)..
    Me too waiting if anyone come from India.. infact, if some tourists are coming then I will be more happy so that they can bring loads..
    but unfortunately.. I guess no one is coming..:-(. Yeah most of the indian veggies are so expensive. esp in mustafa.. he packs less than half a kilo and put a bill of $2.30Rant.. So i generally buy veggies from little india .
    Did you try all the greens? I generally pickup only one or two out of the lot of greens available..

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Oh are you telling abt the Sheng shiong in Bedok reservoir road?

Greens..DH is vegetarian. So he buys even the chinese kai lan and other greens. I keep with the dhall and he likes the tster. I also buy all the indian greens. (3 to 4 types every week.

10. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

Hi SingIltes,

Mostly i get all the vegetable from the line of Indian Shops(beside little india mrt).They will be fresh and reasonable and we can also a bunch of curryleaves for free but i dont prefer to get from vegetables from mustafa(expensive and not very much fresh when compared to the other indian shops) ofcourse its a a one-stop shop.I buy paneer,pickles and sometimes readymade chapathis ,etc from mustafa.Coming to Home delivery I used to order to karthika, now from chennai trading.Fruits from Ntuc.
    Health Foods from Gnc, Natures Farm and some other organic shops.
    Pastries for occasions from Bengawon Solo.Dresses wherever i fing good.

Had i left anything more?

Cheers,
    Spandhana