Simple Traditional Marriage - How Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by adisum, Jan 27, 2017.

1. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Please don't run after me if i am annoying you all with my random queries every other day... i have so much in mind and always get confused on every single thing :expressionless:

Okay, so me and my fiancee are planning to keep our wedding sort of simple event. Now we both have different definitions of a simple wedding, my mother has different meaning, my future mil has different and enough , i guess you people get my point here...

I am sure you all know how big fat punjabi weddings are these days, with all sort of fuctions including mehndi, sangeet, shagun , marriage, reception - all on consecutive days and with a lot of pom n show. Spending like 5-10 lakhs on weddings these days is such a normal thing for some people, and because of this man made culture of show off weddings have become a headache for people like me who do not have so much money to spend just like that.

My idea of simple wedding is, a one day event with rituals to be followed that includes, shagun at groom's house with only near and dear relatives present, wedding at a small hall with again only the blood relatives and at max the bestest friends ( no distant relatives, no neighbors, no all office collegues-only 1 or 2 senior persons. No gifts for relatives, no DJ, no band baaja , simple decor and minimum expense on myself as well.

Now my fiancee agrees to it but then he is not sure of what his parents will add up in this ... then came the twist he talked to his mother and she said:
    1. "Why not gifts for relatives- i have taken gifts from them all my life now its my turn to return and it is the ritual that girl's side has to bring gifts for groom and groom's family. "
    2. "Why not band Baaja and Baraat with pomp n show , you are my only son, when am i supposed to do that then"

Me and my fiancee decided that we both will split the expense for wedding and thus there will neither be pressure on his family nor on mine.

I told him to do this secretly, but he was so sure that his mother will be happy on this decision :unamused: He said to her that HE wants this split thing so as to give relaxation to both parents as we both are earning, i want we should handle everything....

This is what she said:

"IF they cannot afford it right now, we can wait but as per society norms, no such "split the expenses equally" thing exists and you people are not going to live out of the society " ( it was a NO from her)

My fiancee tried very hard to convince her ( i love him for that) , but all in vain , now he is feeling guilty for not listening to me when i was saying do it secretly ( but that was also very tricky)

Now this is what her prespective is:

Baraat with band baaja, me and my family should arrange all the catering, baraat welcoming, then gifts for relatives (clothes for all the couples in their family), separate shagun function where she wants to invite all the relatives, neighbors so as to collect the shagun money they will give and cover up the expense for the event. ( she is being a selfish person thinking only for herself and her family, i didnt expect her to consider me as a daughter but at least she should consider me as a family also and must look that i am being pressurized in all this. )

We have no court marriage option, as i mentioned earlier my mother in law is like "its my only son's (rather only child's) marriage , so court marriage is a complete NO-NO.

We live in amritsar , punjab... mandir marriages are not so popular here , i have never seen one and i have no idea if any hindu temple can arrange a wedding here.

I can afford a marriage of upto 1 lakhs expenses including everything in ti ( my expenses, my familiy's clothes, commuting i9n taxis and all everything) I don't know how it would be possible. My Maternal uncles and my elder sister may help a little with finance but i am not expecting it as of now. I want to think in the little amount which i have so that i could have a tighter budget preventing me and my family from running out of the budget.

Any suggestions, anything you people think you should ask me, tell me or even if you want to scold me being annoyed, welcome for everything ... I am sitting with an open mind right now, ready to listen all the good and bad things... waiting.......................

ChennaiExpress likes this.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Looks like he is ready to make amends and do something secretly as you had asked. Get married secretly in a civil ceremony with a couple of witnesses from the corridors of the court house. That would be the secret thing you can both carry to your graves.

And then work on a ceremonial svelte Punjabi wedding that is within your budgets. There could be sour faces, dissatisfaction, miffed sentiments etc.. but nobody will turn weird on you and stop the wedding. If they do stop the wedding, make sure you get good video recordings of that event and the people's shenanigans. That would be the most unique wedding video in your grandchildren's collection.
    Go and have a happy life, one way or the other.

blissofmylife, Rihana and adisum like this.
  3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

i havent read ur all posts..
    But I think if u have to plan ur wedding in very tight budget ..

As 1 lac is relatively less amount .. depends on no. of guests/relatives/family member u have ..

if U have some grounds / School Ground /office ground.. U can book there.. Its very economical compared to marriage gardens/ marriage houses...

u have to take steps accordingly.. Where u r planning ur wedding..

I have idea abt gayatri Shakti peeth .. No idea about temples n all

Wish u very happy married life. .!!!

adisum likes this.
  4. bravo1809

bravo1809 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Adisum

Is it not possible to wait few days to give MIL the impression that you are saving for wedding and split expenses with fiance and go organise the wedding (not as they want but somewhere in between)? Your fiance is understanding and that's what you need in a man. Don't expect your MIL to think about you. May be she is nice but just go with the flow.

Good luck dear

5. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Hi @adisum
    Thank God...there are still some punjabis left on this earth who still vouch for simple wedding.
    We are punjabis too...my husband is from Jalandhar. We had a simple traditional temple wedding with nice dinner. It did save a lot of my parent's hard earned money. But my parents made sure to gift nice clothes to my husband's side and also to their own relatives. This made everyone happy.
    So...may be...you too can follow this recipe. Ultimately...everyone becomes happy with good food and nice gifts. Big pandals...mindless decorations...pomp n show will be easily forgotten.
    Also...please respect ur MILs feelings as it's her only child's marriage.

6. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Thankx for replying dear but i didnt get your point ... I clearly stated that court marriage is a compelte no-no, this is a thing anyone could think of... I dont want unhappy and dissatisfied faces on the most special day of my life... I am here looking for a mid way solution ....

7. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

People are going to be minimum from both sides only nearest relatives, roughly 70-80 people in total...

Our house is located on outskirts of the city, we have a lot of empty plots around ... Do u think that could be a option ? I feel lyk it may look wierd to arrange a wedding with good tents and carpets in a plot

8. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Trying to go with the flow dearie.... I thnk u r rgt on givng some time to mil but the thing is she is rgt on her part , its her only child's marriage ... Shez nt asking for any dowry or extra things ... Actuly m confused here only , at one point i thnk that she is being selfish then i put myself in her shoes and she seems correct to me.... Thanks anyways dear

9. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Which temple you had your wedding in ? How much the dinner expense was ? If you could tell me that would be a great help

10. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Also peeps, please tell me about my own expenses from wedding dress to clothes , daily use things i should take with me to the relation and family, where i can cut short the expense of my own ? Basically i need a checklist of things a bride should carry with her ( but in budget and minimum things that are actuly very much required )