1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Simple Beauty

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jun 15, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

The Parijatha tree grows in our garden. The Parijatha flower is a simple and beautiful one. These flowers bloom at night and their fragrance is so pleasant and soothing. Every morning the flowers fall down and many a time look like a white and orange carpet on the ground.Even after falling they remain fresh for a long time.The different parts of the tree have medicinal value too. There are many stories related to this beautiful flower in our epics and Puranas.
    One of the stories is about Princess Parijataka. She was in love with Sun, but her love was never reciprocated. Having lost in love, she committed suicide and from her ashes rose the Parijatha tree. She is unable to bear the sight of her love during the day, so blooms only at night, and sheds the flowers as tears, before the sun rises.

“Blooming every night
    The Parijatha, like stars
    Make magic for us.
    Blooming and spreading fragrance
    Nights become special moments.”
    Mareel (15).jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I love these flowers. As little kids we used to collect these flowers and make it as a Garland for offering before we left to school every day. Though don't have access to these flowers these days it's fragrance is still fresh in mind. Nice story by the way. Thanks for reminding me of the fragrance :thumbsup:

Mistt and LakshmiKMBhat like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All tragedies have an element of heart warming beauty. The story of Parijatha is no different. It melts my heart. No wonder this is about the only flower used in worship even after falling on the ground. Pooja flowers are usually plucked from the plant.

Mistt, LakshmiKMBhat and sindmani like this.
  4. ParvathiRatish

ParvathiRatish New IL'ite

This tree is also called sad tree or the tree of sorrow as in the early morning when it has dropped its flowers . The tree appears to looks sad.

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@LakshmiKMBhat
    I love the smell of Parijatha flowers but I didn't know the story behind Parijatha tree. Nice poetry on Parijatha flowers and misssing the awesome smell....

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I miss those beautiful and fragrant flowers which adorned our Deities in our puja oom. Even now we have the plants in our apartment in pots, but so far no flowers have blossomed.
    PS

7. LakshmiKMBhat

I love these flowers and hope flowers will soon bloom in your apartment pots :)

8. LakshmiKMBhat

It gives us beauty in its sadness :) Trees are always givers, aren't they?

9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Its a lovely flower , but with such a sad story .
    It also stays fresh only for very short time . My mothers garden has an old tree that sheds a carpet of flowers during seasin.
    It is a pleasure to go out earlymorni g and gently pick them up one by one .