1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Silence Is Not Golden

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by desposhwetha, Nov 9, 2017.

1. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Do you want a coffee? Karthick asked her.

Priya was confused and looked at him before giving a weak yes.

They were seated in the lounge and were waiting for their flight to Frankfurt from Chennai. It was strange for her to travel with a man all of a sudden. Priya was a young widow, working abroad with an International Bank. She had lost her first husband two months after her marriage when he went on a road trip with his friends. She had faced it all after that fateful night. Abuses, curses and all the bad mouthing. Unlucky, she was branded. She did miss her husband initially, although when she realized that the reason of the accident was his drunken driving, the amount of trauma and accusations she was facing at 23, made her hate him for being so irresponsible and putting her through life-long depression. She desperately looked for a job abroad to get away from the negativity. Germany was fair to her, although she felt extremely lonely in her life for over 6 years.

She had come to India for a short vacation, and her parents had shocked her by the wedding preparations. She had been ignoring their calls and emails of prospective grooms and never expected her parents to forcefully marry her to a stranger. Her mom had walked into her room with a beautiful pink saree and some jewels, the night before the marriage. After some hours of arguments and emotional drama, Priya was seated in the car in her saree and a stone face on the way to the temple.

Her parents were convinced of Karthick after speaking to him and had arranged for the wedding. He was a tall, dark, bald guy with thick glasses. At 35, he looked older than his age. His physical appearance made many girls reject him when he was in his late 20’s. Over the years, he lost interest in getting married, primarily fearing rejection. It was a phase where he started hating himself.

Priya was a very distant relative and when her parents asked him to marry their daughter, his first question was, and “Will your daughter accept me?” He was not sure, until he saw the girl in a pink saree seated in the temple. Am getting married, he told himself. After the marriage, they had spoken in one or two worded Q&A to each other. They had to return back to Germany in two weeks, and had to shop a lot, visit their parents and most important of all, do the packing. He understood that she was not comfortable and maintained a studied distance all along. Both of them were not sure how to open this news to their employers or their friends over there.

Karthick had called his flat mate, who was overjoyed on the news and immediately moved out to Priya’s single accommodation where she was living alone for a long time. Priya took the bedroom, while Karthick chose to sleep in the living room. Work was challenging and demanding. They got busy with their routine each day. It was quite mechanical with both of them setting unsaid rules. Priya cooked while Karthick cleaned and wiped the dishes. They washed their clothes by themselves. Every Friday evening they went to the nearby supermarket for their daily supplies. They picked things without much discussion. Karthick refused to take money from Priya and paid for them. On weekends, they cleaned, washed, cooked and struck to their mobile phones. One month had passed.

On one Wednesday evening, Karthick had returned home early that day and decided to cook. A series of questions rushed to his mind. Why are we both like this? Why are we not even talking properly to each other? Looks like our life has not changed at all post marriage. He knew very little about her. Her education, her work and some of her likes. Nothing more. Maybe she doesn’t like me. No woman would like me. He told himself. His inferiority complex was killing him for the past few years. Priya was pretty and good looking. He was sure that she didn’t like this marriage. The door opened and Priya entered. She looked at him in surprise and walked to her room in silence. Picking her bath towel and dress, she went to refresh herself. As warm water touched her, she thought of Karthick. Maybe he was forced into the marriage like me, she thought. Who would marry a widow like me? I am born unlucky and it is just natural for anyone to keep away from me. She told herself.

It was already 7, when Priya had come out of her room, and Karthick was setting the plates for them. Shall we eat? Am hungry, he asked gently. She nodded and went to sit down.

After a lot of thinking and rephrasing the question, he finally blurted out

Shallwegooutthisweekendifyouarefree?

She raised her eyebrows questioningly.

Shall we go out this weekend- he repeated

She was silent for a minute.

He was confident of getting a No, when she said

“Yes. Where are we going?”

Errr. He stopped. He had not expected it. Neither was he prepared for an answer.

Paris maybe? We can drive from here, he suggested. Paris was the first country he has visited in Europe so it was very special to him.

She smiled and looked at him. Paris was special to her for the same reason.

Yes. She said again. He was not sure what more to say, and ate in silence.

After dinner, he searched for accommodations when she walked over and stood next to him, peeping into his screen.

Oh, sit. Do you know of any good hotel to stay? He asked her pointing his booking.com screen.

She asked for the laptop. The place she looked for had just one room left with two beds. This is a very good place. I stayed here last time and the ambience is very good, she said. I have stayed here too, he replied looking at the number of rooms. Shall I book it then? she asked unnerved about staying in the same room. He was not as confident as she was. Maybe she is not noticing it, he thought.

There is just one room, he pointed.

Yea, so let us book it fast, she said typing in their names and stopped abruptly.

Oh, you don’t want to stay with me in the same room is it? She asked him and looked at the monitor.

No, I thought you didn’t notice it. Or rather you will be uncomfortable- he stopped and felt helpless.

She closed the screen and got up. Book the hotel of your choice, she said feebly and closed her room door. Karthick hit his head hard. How stupid of me, he thought. He booked the same room and went to bed, unable to sleep. God, where is this heading to? We have hardly started speaking, but have started fighting already. Thursday passed with nothing major happening. Priya didn’t ask him about the room or the trip. He hates me, just like others do. Am so used to this and I should not care, she told herself. But somehow, she could not stop crying in the night.

Friday arrived and Karthick was very cautious yet excited. It has been long since he had visited Paris. He was fairly sure that it was he who should break the ice and work on this relationship. Priya was cooking breakfast, and he knew that she had not packed her bags for the trip yet.

Priya, what time are you coming home? Can we start at 4 from here? We need at least 6 hrs to reach our hotel, he told her, picking his bread. She was surprised. All along, she was thinking that he had dropped the plan.

Where is your bag Priya? I will put it in the car, and if you are fine, we can drive straight from your office. I will pick you, he said.

I didn’t know we are going. Well, actually, you didn’t….

You don’t want to come with me? He cut her short and looked hurt.

No, no. I was just…sorry…..I have not packed…..I will come home at 12 and pack my clothes. Can you pick me from here? She asked.

Sure. I will come early as well, he said and walked to his car. She informed her boss that she was sick and stayed at home replaying the morning moments in her mind. I am smiling after a long time, she thought. She packed snacks and drinks for them and choose her favorite clothes. How long has it been since I have travelled somewhere, she thought to herself. Karthick came home at 3 and carried their bags to the car. Just when he turned on the engine, the accident of her ex-husband flashed her mind. The curses and the abuses she had faced all along came one after the other. Karthick tried to talk to her, but she didn’t respond anything. He was worried if he had forced her to come along with him and badly wanted to get back home.

They reached Paris and he parked the car in the hotel. He expected a surprised shriek from Priya who didn’t bother to even notice. Once in the room, he picked his clothes and went to the bathroom to change. She sat down lost in thoughts. They came out and walked to a restaurant in silence. Eiffel was beautifully glowing in the night sky. Tourists were trying to get the full tower in the frame and posing happily. A couple approached Karthick and asked if he could click a pic of them. He did. They offered to click a picture, and Karthick looked questioningly at Priya. She joined him although both merely stared at the camera despite repeatedly asking them to smile. Karthick was bothered that he was looking bad next to Priya, while she was still engrossed in her thoughts. They chose a table inside and Karthick ordered for both of them. The sight of Eiffel cheered her although she didn’t speak much. The silence was deafening Karthick. Why does she travel with me when she doesn’t like me? She could have said a no. What is her problem? , he groaned inside.

While returning back to the hotel, he walked ahead of her and even asked the manager if he could get another room, who pointed out that there was none. Both of them didn’t sleep. They lay awake and stared at the ceiling. It was too hard for him to handle and he went out of the room. Five minutes later, he barged in and switched on the lights.

What the hell is your problem Priya? I asked you clearly before planning this trip. I agree there was a misunderstanding. But you could have told me that you don’t want to come with me. What stopped you? This is just irritating me. I know we have been married under unusual circumstances. But the whole idea of living like flat mates is killing me. I wanted to know you better and try and be friends and that is why I organized this trip. Nothing like travel will tell you about a person. But you seem to hate me to the core that you don’t want to talk to me. I know I am ugly and no one wants to marry me. Just tell me on my face. Don’t give this crazy silent treatment.

He had taken it off his chest. His breath calmed. Priya stood there silent and almost sobbing.

After a few deep breaths, she spoke. I am sorry. My past is haunting me. I want to talk to you as much as you want to. Something is stopping me. Life has been…………………………………………………………………………………. she spoke of all her hard times amidst sobs and he listened patiently. He wanted to tell her that he will be there for her, forever. But decided to do it than tell it. He sat next to her and held her hands. Am sorry, he said and let her cry on his shoulders. After a few moments, she composed and wiped her face.

Priya, life has been cruel for many years to us. But I swear it will be beautiful hereafter. He said holding her gently. The Eiffel sparkled in agreement.

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Gentle love blossoms in the end. Nice narration, Shwetha ! Liked it.

desposhwetha likes this.
  3. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

@desposhwetha I love your narration and short stories. This is amazing... Thanks for giving us one more short life's coverage. Good Luck with your writings.

--PS

desposhwetha likes this.
  4. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

beautiful narration. like the story.

desposhwetha likes this.
  5. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

such a beautiful love story

desposhwetha likes this.
  6. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Nice story. Well narrated.

desposhwetha likes this.
  7. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

communication is the key!

desposhwetha likes this.
  8. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Thank you. Glad you liked it :)

9. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Aww. Thanks. Sure will try to write more such short stories.

10. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Thank you