Signing a bond while getting a job?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by soumyapr, Jan 4, 2012.

1. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

hello friends,

I have a question, should one agree to a company's requirement of signing a bond when getting a job?

I have been through first round of interview at a company and came to know that because I have applied as a fresher I will need to sign a bond for 1 and 1/2 years stating that I can not leave the job before that time.

I am a little uncomfortable with this. I am thinking what if I have to re-locate from the city or what if there is a situation where I need to leave the job, eg, pregnancy etc.

I have yet to go for 2 more rounds, in which salary and other things will be discussed. Should I express my discomfort with the bond issue in the interview? What will happen if i do so? I am not able to understand the logic behind bond, people move and have life situations where they cannot continue a job. I don't want to lose this offer as I am applying as fresher with no experience, but at the same time I don't feel good signing a bond. What can I do?

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Soumya,

I would suggest not to discuss bond details for now. You have 2 more rounds to go. You can discuss your concerns with the HR in the final round.

Situations like pregnancy and relocation can be handled by the HR. For ex, if your company has a branch in the new city, you can apply for a transfer. It is not easy as i said but you neednt worry about it now. Same goes for pregnancy. You can opt for a long term medical leave or extended maternity leave during your pregnancy. So dont worry about it now.

Also, there will be some clauses in the bond where they will state the situations which if encountered relieve you from the bond obligation. You can read the bond and relevant fineprint and sign it only if you are convinced.

3. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Soumya,

First thing most of the times, these are not judicial bonds. So at the max you have to pay the company specific number of month's salary and you are free to go. But that's extreme case and doesn't usually happen. The companies keep this condition to have at least some security that you would work with them for longer under normal conditions. Mostly these are the companies who invest months and thousands in training new employees and you actually start working for the money they pay only after about 6 months so they need a little assurance too. This is to prevent resignations due to company swithing and they do consider unexpected conditions and changes. In that case you can inform the HR.
    So don't worry. Just make sure you read and carefully understand all the terms and conditions. Also if you are unsure about even the 1 1/2 year ahead, just tell them plain and simple and then decide whether you both are ready to go ahead or not.
    Good luck
    Vaidehi

4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

From a fresher company will spend lot of time & effort to groom you as a professional. You would actually start contributing only after few months. If you leave before contributing or before company recovers the cost, company will be at the loss right? Hence it is made mandatory. Also when considering first job, its better to be in the same company for two years unless you have very pressing reasons. Most comapnies have good policies regarding transfer, maternity leaves. So, if the company is good & work culture is decent you can actually sign the bond.

5. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

What exactly can I say in the HR round? My major concern is relocation(my hubby's job) or pregnancy(ttc). Both these are personal issues and I do not think it is wise to talk about this concern directly.

Is it alright if I express discomfort due to bond and say that in case of re-location how will it be handled? Also this is a medium sized Indian service based company and not a big MNC. What kind of questions can I ask them about the bond when they bring it up themselves.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. blackbeauty84

Soumya,
    Is your hubby planning for relocation soon? In that case I won't advice you to sign the bond. Are you planning to quit the job post pregnancy? If not legally even a small sized company should have a provision for maternity leaves.

I think in your HR round you can straight narrate your case like incase your Hubby get's relocated is it possible for you to get the transfer. Ask them what are all the options in a case like this during bond period?

7. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Blackbeauty, my hubby might relocate in a year for his job. This is the reason I'm confused. The possibility of relocation is 50 percent.

What to tell the HR in such a case. I might lose on the job if I express this concern. But I don't want to end up paying money or something else if I need to relocate. If I did not have this concern I wouldn't mind signing a bond for even 2 years with the company.

8. blackbeauty84

Soumya has your hubby decided on where he is going to relocate? Does the company has a branch or clients in that area? In that case tell the company you are planning to relocate after an year or so & ask for options.

I think other option is to pay the bond money & leave the company. But since that's not possible, better look for someother company without bond.

9. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

generally bond is illegal in indian context but these MNCs or indian MNCs make freshers to sign bonds only in india not any where in the world where they have operations.

10. pretty84

pretty84 New IL'ite

It should not be a bond, it should be an agreement comforting both sides, I believe the company does not have faith in their own employees, or I can say the company itself is not confident, that the employe will not leave the company. Thats meaning the company is below international standards. Just assume a place where you love to work, will you leave the company just for the sake of few thousand rupees of increments? Never, recently I got a job offer from one of the finest gold mines in the world, but I denied to go because I prefer to work with the present one, inspite of loosing few thousand dollars per annum. I remembered a known evil is better than an unknown angel..

Better if you feel any discomfort, please do not sign any agreement, in your case as you say BOND. Search alternatives.

Best wishes,

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012