Significance of Kolam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anjana..

I have used childrens' chalk for the kolam. But please refer to Vandhana's post. Looks like we can get some good coloured sand if need be for kolams. The one pot has lillies and the other has an ivy climbing on to a tower shaped metal frame inserted into the pot. I had better pics but did not know how to upload the upright ones:(

L, Kamla

PS: Chitra...Sorry to have taken too much of your space in your thread:)

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

What is this formality, Kamla ?

Please , remember, this is not my thread - this is OUR thread meant for interaction.
    I am just thrilled to be inspiring N R I s into our traditional chore of everyday !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

hi friends

dear chitvish,
    I amardently following this column regularly and I am surprised why allyour enthusiastic readers are not sharing their delight with us in the forum. Am I right in guessing that your private mail box is getting full every day. Dear ILites, do share your reactions and thoughts in the forum. It will motivate other readers . I do think Chitvish does deserve more and more viewers for all the hard work she puts in. Please do not misunderstand me. I am not canvassing.
    Regards,
    Meenu

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
    Chitvish likes this.
  4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

agree with Meenu

I do agree with what Meenu says. The forum is served better when we interact with Mrs C here.

5. peebee

peebee New IL'ite

cutting board for kolam

Dear Ladies in the West,

I love putting kolams, so I bought a wooden cutting board just to put kolams in front of my swami. I wash the board in the sink and put kolams. When we put our house for sale, during "show" times, I used to keep the palagai on the side of a shelf. Now, I plan to buy another wooden cutting board for the Vilakku poojai (inspired to the core I am)

Regards,
    PB

6. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

Enlightening thread

Dear Chithra

I have been a regular visitor of this thread from the day it was started. The significance of our culture, the importance of vedas, kolams etc are very clearly explained in a simple manner in this thread. Pl accept my sinceire thanks for sharingsuch valuable information with us.

Even I used to think why the "garbha griham" is kept in a darker place, ur explainations made it clear. Its very nice to know abt the kolams which we draw outside. Even I love kolams with swirls, but I am very poor in drawing kolams, especially the podi kolams. I can some how manage maa kolams. Ur kolam pciture looks very inviting, I liked ur idea of drawing kolams on the two sides of the front door and also placing a lotus flower on it. Its really a warm welcome for guests.

Please keep up ur good work, eagerly waiting for next thrusdays topic.

Thanking u
    Love and Regards
    Priya

7. Priya Amarnath

TO Kamla

Dear Kamla

Ur kolam photos look very good, nice colour combinations. Pl do share more of such pcitures.

Love
    Priya

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Priye, Where were you all these days ?

I would have welcome you to interact with me earlier in this thread - well, better late than never.
    Thanks for your mail. Knowing that your interests are similar, every week I was expecting your mail !
    Please remember that all your feedbacks are essential in large dose for this thread to survive !
    Now that you have made a beginning, please keep it up.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Priya Amarnath

Sure Chithra

Dear Chithra

Knowing that our responses mean a lot to u, I shall be with u and interact regularly in this forum.

Love and Regards
    Priya

10. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Perfect !

Your Kolam description was perfect. I liked the way you wrote about the dotted line kolams. Made so much sense. Early in the morning there couldnt be a better way to improve concenrtation. Also you have mentioned about Kavi as being used for dhristhi. This i didnt know. I thought it is just for decoration..

I love the point on Ozone also. Really great to know about each and every aspect of culture chitvish... thanks a ton..

Purni