Significance of Kolam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I went thro this thread today. I am not much of a religious or traditional person now. I used to do the usual girly things in childhood due to my mother's pestering that girls should do know such things. I draw padi kolams, very large ones, very easily with kola mavu- double lines simultaneously. I always used to ge appreciation in Tvm and was much sought after by neighbours, especially ones who didn't have daughters. For some years, I even used to go to one friend's house every Thursday evening to draw big padi kolams (for the Friday). I used to think tht this was a jujuby thing. But when I went thro this thread, I find that I may be an expert in drawing kolams.Believe me, I am not being showy, just was wondering that such things had so much significance.I suppose I could draw different padi kolams on a black background and upload it- only I don't have a digital camera. Anyway, I shall try to upload some snaps of kolams which I have. And I have made up my mind to draw more beautiful kolams.
    Chithra, thank you very much for such a good thread. I am telling Archana and Aravindh to go thro it to know about our culture. I am also refreshing myself.
    Thanks to SUSHDEVI also.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Varloo !

Thanks for your mail.
    So for the next I L get-together, please come home early enough & draw a big " welcome" kolam to all I L ites !
    We will just march ahead with all new actions !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Kamala,
    Just took a peep at ur kolam....and now i am tempted too! Lets see if i have the guts to do it on my doostep!:p

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Kolam

Hi Kamala,

Your kolam looks very beautiful, and i guess the " special " chalk makes it look even better. ANyway, for your next time, try getting the colored sand that is available in Michaels or any craft stores. They use it for sand art here. But i have bought a whole bunch of the colors and use it for kolams. I use the red like Kavi. As close to the rangoli colors we can get here!!

Vandhana

5. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Beautiful kolam Kamala

Hi Kamala,
    Just saw your kolam. Looks beautiful. I liked the pink color too. Did you use color sand. I liked your flowers pots very much. What flowers are those? I love gardening and that is why this question. Keep up the good work.

Love,

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey Vidya...

"Sometimes be careful what you ask for.....".....:)).......Your words..Just reminding you:)
    Thanks for the praise, even I was happy with myself for making the effort!

L, Kamla

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thank you:)

Dear Chitra,

See what effect you have even on lazybones like me:) It is not just kolam, there are many things that you have inspired me with. Repeated thankyou's seem to have no value. Just wanted you to know. Shall be looking forward to your further articles about culture. I love this thread.

L, Kamla

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Please do..

Dear Varloo,

I understand your predicament. Sometimes, we forget to notice our own talents and something or someone Chitra!) will then give you a jump start.
    Please do post the pics of your kolams here. Will be a pleasure to see.

L, Kamla

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Go ahead!

Dear Sudha,

Go ahead and please yourself with a kolam...Maybe Mr will present you with a kolam of his own..a beautiful smile on his face..?!

L, Kamla

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice info..

Dear Vandhana,

True, those are special chalks:) But thanks for the tip. It is good to know. I remember a friend mentioning about some such coloured powder, but now I know exactly where and what to look for.

L, Kamla