Significance of Kolam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Jay - for you

Dear Mrs C and Jay,

Sorry for butting in between the two of you. I liked Mrs C's candid answer to your question on being born during Full Moon.

I was also born on Chitra Pournami, on top of that, an eclipse. Two years back, a quack astrologer told me that I have 'grahana yogam' meaning I will shine at some times during life, remain dim during others. Though it was disconcerting to hear, I now feel that if the mighty Sun and Moon can be eclipsed, then it is okay for Vidya too.

By God's Grace, I have a peaceful life, great parents and husband, decent education and good career. We have no control over birth and death- we are born with both those dates decided for us. Just swim along with the tide!

cheers
    Vidya

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

What a coincidence, my mom also has the same birthday as yours on Chitra pournami. I believe that all thes horscopes and bad planetray influence etc... is all someting for us humans to blame if we are going through a bad patch in our lives. I truely agree with Ms. C , there is no good or bad star or bad planets.

According to our lore, if boys are born under the star rohini, it is bad for their "mamas"( cause krishna was born under the same star). But then , i know so many kids with this star and all their mamas are doing just fine. Same goes for girls or boys with moolam apparently should marry only where there is one in law alive in the family. I think that is also a ridiculous . ( my athai was the same star and both her in laws lived right up to the grand old age of 90 plus).

So it is all in our human thinking!!

My 2 cents for the day

Vandhana

3. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Chitra,

Wow! our feedbacks means so much to u...u are really great.

U know due to PhD, I have got a bit busy these days and now that I will be joining the university shortly, will get more busy...but I will try my best to keep giving feedbacks....hope u understand.

I was born on Amavasai day and my husband on Pournami, but I don't know whether Adi or Chitrai...does that matter?

What about good time and bad time....Shani Desai, 7 1/2 yrs shani..are all this practical?

Thank you for the explanation.

Regards,
    Jay

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Here they are!

Dear Chitra,

Here are the promised kolam pictures! Please bear with me, it looks very juvenile I know. I used my grandson's chalk to do the rangoli:)) But but..Even if I have not used rice flour and kavi, I hope it is the thought that counts! I took your valuable advise and started this new cultural trend today, it being Sunday. Now all I need are your blessings, the best wishes of all the good IL'ites and God's Grace:) The pics were taken in a hurry as it started to pour here!!!

L, Kamla

Attached Files:

5. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

hey kamla,

That looks nice!

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Safa...

Thank you:)

Must appreciate Chitra's inputs which is giving us all the necessary boost to catch up on our rich cultures.

L, Kamla

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Just do not bother !

Dear Jay,
    Born in any month, Amavasai or Pournami - will not make any difference, please do not worry.
    71/2 yrs of shani comes in life once in every 30 yrs for everybody. Just relax & do not overly bother about grahams, dashai etc. Remember " naal enna seiyum, kol enn seiyum"...... If God be with you, nobody & nothing can be against you.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.
    My best wishes on your birthday, Jay ! I just made a note of it.
    C.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  8. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chitra,

Thank you very much for the B'day wishes.

Love n regards,
    Jay

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Kamla's kolam

Hi Kamla,

Very nice kolams. I especially loved the swirls. As a person who can't draw, well just anything, I really envy you. I am sure Mrs C is happy to see her words inspiring all of us.

BTW: if the kolams are so pretty, the kolam maker must be a cutie too. How abt yr pics?

regards
    Vidya

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am proud to be beaten hollow !

Dear Kamla,
    Your kolam is so beautiful - with perfect symmetry which gives a nice look.
    I am so proud that the article on kolam inspired you to start an almost forgotten trend.
    Vidya, the twirls come easily, once you are at the kolam.
    Very good beginning Kamla ! I could not have asked for a better reaction !!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.