1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Sightseeing in Maine

Discussion in 'Indians in Maine' started by vasera, Apr 28, 2009.

1. vasera

vasera Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    We are thinking of visiting Maine for the long weekend..when googling, many info sites are there..But we are confused of where to start and what are the best places to visit with a toddler..
    Can anybody suggest the must see places there?

Thanks
    Varalaskhmi

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Hey Varalakshmi,

We are plannin to visit Maine too in July.. Enna varingla ? :)

Actually May is not a good time to visit ME. It would be very cold there since it is up north. We have a friend there who told us June and July are the best time to visit ME.

We have planned to go to Eagle Lake in Maine for the July long weekend.. Could send you more details if you are intrested. We will be a group of 5 couples ( 1 couple has a 2 year old daughter ) and a bachelor. :) Two couples and the bachelor are tamilians except us and Suma .. :)

The other places that are good in ME is the Bar Harbour Islands and Megunticook if you like camping.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. vasera

vasera Senior IL'ite

Glad to see your reply Preethi..
    If its cold there in may, there's no use of going that time..
    Your plan sounds good too...and its always fun to go in group..anyhow will discuss this with my dh (he shud not be in on call) and come back to you..
    But what to do this coming long weekend..Can I ask you to suggest me some good places nearby like 3 to 4 hrs drive..

4. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

It is better to travel south in May becos it will be warmer hopefully.
    You can try cape may in new jersey,or virginia luray caverns, maryland etc.

We are also planning to go to rhode island and maine in july or august.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Its still too cold at the beaches, Maine even in June/July is cool/cold at night, lots of big spots are not open yet. Adirondacks are not warmed up yet. I think an option is the Hudson River region. You can drive to Hyde Park (and other area historic mansions) and West Point (the army academy) for sightseeing and you can take the cutter (boat) on a cruise. I did that with a friend from India and it was really good. That would be enough activity for a weekend. If its a little cold, the boat has a glassed in area.

Discover Hudson River Cruises! Board The Rip Van Winkle & Explore The Hudson River Valley At Kingston NY!

You can park your care in this area also and take a train down to NYC if you want to do some shopping but don't want to park etc in the city. Parking there is free.

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Var ,

We had been to a place called Lake George, last May. It is in upstate NY and was an awesome getaway.. :)

It is 4 hrs drive from here and kids will have fun too.. There is tubing, cruise, boating, parasailing, and ofcourse indoor and outdoor pools !

It would be crowded on long weekends but worth going even then.. Everything will be just a walk away.. Google it and I could PM you the details we went to.. if you are intrested..

For the long weekend we were plannin to go to RI. Cat skill Mountains is another place on our planned list.. and it is in upstate NY.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  7. tashidelek2002

Drpreethis:
    I live in the western Catskills...let me know what you are interested in and I can respond. BTW Kingston area is in the eastern Catskills.

My area cranks up after Memorial Day with summer concerts etc. Many second homes for NYC professionals, designers, TV folks, etc are in our area as we live a relaxed and non intrusive lifestyle. Cooperstown has lots of stuff to do including opera, baseball hall of fame, farmers museum, art museum, boating and camping.

8. vasera

vasera Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vpriya for your inputs..
    Tashi..thanks for the link..will search for the other nearby activities too as my son wont sit for the cruise tour...
    Preethi..am googling the details abt Lake george..will discuss with my dh tonight..can you pm me the details of your visit..

9. tashidelek2002

Vasera: Just so you know, there are always lots of little kids on the cruise and the boat is big enough you can walk around. They have snacks on the lower level.

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Hey thanx Tashi .. I shall surely get in touch with you.. when we have our plans ready for Cat Skill.. :) Thanx for offering help..