Sight Seeing in Singapore- Info for Tourists, Visitors of Singapore!

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Singapore' started by sonia, Feb 23, 2007.

1. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Hi All Singapore Ilities,

I have to go India by singapore airlines ,Planning to stay for one day there.Airlines is providing a free tour to see some places.Is it worth going by that or shd I take any bus to see more places than tour(I have heard that bus service is gud there -is it so?)

What r the must see places over there ? These places have frequent bus service or not?

Will we get accomodation on airport for one night easily?

Plz suggest me Singapore ladies.
    Thanks
    Sonia

2. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Re: What To See In Singapore

Dear Sonia

Thanks for your queries about visiting Sinagapore. I will try my best to give the answers for your doubts.

1. It is fine to take the free tour offered by the airlines itself- but please find the places of visit they offer. (being a small island there are not so many attractions here, I must warn you).

2. Yes the public transportation- namely the MRT trains and public buses are very convenient along with the cabs with affordable and reliable fares. No "Tips" culture.

3. The must see places in Singapore are the following:

a. Sentosa Island- with fun rides, beach attractions, flower shows etc with the world famous musical fountain. You can take the MRT train directly from the airport to Sentosa. The directions you also can query with the information counters in all the MRT stations as well as the airport. You got to purchase the entry ticket for the Sentosa at HarborFront Station. You will not get confused as the MRT tourist info guide is very user friendly with numerous customer service officers to direct us. the Harbor Front also has a Giant mall called VivoCity for your shopping and -dont miss the basement Food court- the Banquet/Kopitiam for relishing the local food at affordable price. It will take almost 6 hours to see all the attractions in Sentosa and please note that the musical fountain show is in the evenings only. 7.40 and 8.40 pm. twice a day. Weekends are very crowded and please queue up around 6. 45 if you dont want to miss the first show at 7. 40.(punctual). You can return to airport or your place of accomodation by Train. The whole trip along with the enry tickets and everything will cost you around S$ 80 to S$100 per person. They offer packages with some discounts too. Please chect at the info counter before buying the tickets.

b. Singapore city site seeing :
    1. Little India: Typically looks like our indian streets with temples and eating places and fine dining Indian restaurants .The must see is Mustaffa Centre 24 hour shopping centre all under one roof to buy anything and everything. They have money exchangers too. The rate is good at Mustaffa than the airport(Please bear this in mind).You can take the MRT train directly from airport to Little India. Will cost about S$ 5 round trip. Please dont go there if you happen to be here on a sunday as the area will be very crowded with workers from our country flocking there to hang with their friends and relatives on their only rest day of the week. It will be like Ranganathan street in Deepavali season.

2. China Town: The typical chinese street with many shops. You can get your souvenirs from here at the 3 for $10 shops along the street. You can get good tabble runners, windchimes, fortune buddhas, fans, purses, keychains, toys, decorative items, silk bouses, scarfs, here. Stay clear on Sundays as it is meeting place for chinese workers and local gangs for good food.

3. The merlion park: The icon of Singapore in the city centre . Adjacent to it is the Esplanade the new icon theaters on the bay shaped like a dome or rather the pungent smelling durian fruit.You can stroll along the park to see the major banks and busy central business district surrounding the park with huge sky scrappers and also enjoy the sea breeze, as the park is on the bay virtually. You can hop on a boat in the singapore river adjacent to it to see all the individual attractions. A ride of half an hour trip costs S$ 12 per person.

4. Orchard Road: Yet another shopping district with lots of malls for high end shopping and chain shops and retail outlets. You can get excellent bags, accessories, dresses, suits, chidren dresses and house ware too. Tangs, OG, Takashimaya Square, John Little, The borders, Ngee Ann city are worth visiting-if you have time. Stay clear of Far east Plaza if you dont want to get cheated. Stay clear on sundays too as this area is meeting venue for filipino workers on that day.

As for accomodation you must check the internet and book early to avoid last minute disappointments. The airport will have high end accomodation and a bit costlier than the inland ones. Avoid the hotels in Geylang area though they may be cheaper. The rest should be ok.

Hope I have cleared most of your doubts. Please feel free to query further. Wish you a pleasant trip.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

3. beer2002

beer2002 New IL'ite

HI Vijee
    very useful info,I'mplanning to visit Singapore and India for a short visit.Could you suggest where can I do some jewellery shopping?
    Is there any place where we could rent a house for days like in India ,a furnished house on daily charges.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  4. beer2002

beer2002 New IL'ite

Visiting Singapore

Hi S'porians
    planning to visit India ,Malaysia and Singapore,could you suggest what are the places ,good for site seeings ,saree and jewellery shopping and places to stay at a reasonable rate.

Thank you
    Sita

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vijee,
    Very good information....
    Thanks for sharing.
    ~Punitha

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi beer 2002

Sorry for the belated response.

I am not very sure of renting houses. You have to see the local classifieds.

You can do jewellery shopping at mustaffa-24 hours.

Hope this info helps.

Rgds
    Vijee

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Punitha

You are most welcome to visit Singapore and ofcourse my home anytime.
    Hope you liked the post.(Sorry for the belated response)

Cheers
    Vijee

8. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Hi Sonia ,Puni & others

Vijee has very well explained about tourist spots in Singapore.

well, People who're traveling to US via Singapore, They give 96 hours transit visa for Indian passport holders.

If you're keen on sight seeing you can obtain a transit visa in the airport, come out & check in to a hotel near little India ( be'cos of food factor) look around the island leisurely!

1. collect the tourist information book & map ( free of cost) from the airport.
    2. Yes, for shopping ' Mustafa' is best to buy all under roof in a stipulated time.
    3. And Night safari is something different overhere. For the first time visitor it will be something new.

If you want to spend only one day then it's better to take up the one day tour!

9. NithyaSen

NithyaSen New IL'ite

Hai Friends...
    Thanks to see what to see in singapore. Apart from singapore, can i know what are other places which is nearby(island) singapore tsk, b`coz my friends n family members visiting. i want to show them another than singapore. Especially 2 day one night less than that.

cheers
    Nitya

10. Pramjeet

Pramjeet New IL'ite

Life in Singapore

There are many immigrants from India to Singapore and they find life so much better thatn in India. Life is at a fast pace but enjoyable as well. Shopping is good, eating is fantastic. U get all kinds of food. We have "little India" in Serangoon Road, where u get all things/food, of Indian origin. "Little India" for all kinds of South n North Indian food. then we have hawker centers, Newton is one of the most famous.

Many new weds come to singapore for their honeymoon, they actually come to shop!!

Cheers
    PramjeetBow