1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Side Effects Of Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by kavithas2217, Jan 16, 2018.

1. kavithas2217

kavithas2217 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

My question/doubt is for all those ladies who have emerged victorious in the weight loss battle. During or after the desired weight loss, how should we cope with the sagging of skin and stretch marks which are the side effects of losing weight? Also please tell any other side effects that you have faced.

Thanks a lot,
    Kavitha

2. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

I think the first side effect is hair loss. I am having nightmares about becoming bald.

Seriously, I am not exaggerating but then hair fall is so much that i hate seeing comb now.

P.S. I did not lose much, just 10kgs and of course i was overweight.

3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Hair loss, weakness happens, but the severity of it depends on the diets that are followed.

During my weight loss journey, or a few others I have seen, never had sagging or loose skins or stretch marks.

Maybe the reason could be that I lost about 2-3 kgs only in a month, that's 1/2- 3/4 kg per week, which was easier for the skin to get adapated. Lost about 17-18kgs over a period of some 6-9 months I guess.

I have heard of loose skin with weight loss surgeries.

I would like to know if this happens in normal diet / exercise programs too.

yellowmango likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on loosing 10 kgs. That's not something normal. You need to celebrate it.
    A good diet package with healthy work-out will prevent you from hair loss.
    Even in that case, the dietitian advice us to consume vitamins such as calcium and iron for some times to prevent hair loss.
    Before recommending the same, I need to see your food intake.
    Basically you are expected to eat a lot of protein and fat, while avoiding carbs and starchy food, right.
    But vegetarians tend to avoid all the proteins and fat together with carbs and starch. This way, their body gets absolutely nothing nutritional for the daily functioning.

I've seen many people with saggy skin, and long face with almost bald head after dieting.
    They obviously lose weight, but at the cost of losing their charm and beauty. Whats the point?

Some paleo diet have serious side effects on the kidneys, as patients with diabetes, and other health issues are at risk of consuming excessive protein.
    Same goes with the patients with high cholesterol, because consuming more fat can be deadly.
    But this diet helps them back in shape with utmost beauty.

Some people eat less in the name of dieting. I used to be one of them.. As a result, I often ended up starving and getting back my acid reflux.

Better yet, I decided to lose weight with consistent life style changes. Eating right, on time, enough sleep, less stress and more physical activity.
    This way, I lose weight but at a very slow pace. Never mind, at the end of the day, I am happy, confident, and healthy. This is what matters the most

VaniVyas likes this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

17-18 kgs in less than a year ??
    And Only? :screamcat:

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If weight loss programme also involves excercising along with diet management,then the side effects like loose skin ,hair loss is less.

Younger bodies also deal better with weight loss because the skin has more elasticity.

Post delivery weight loss does leave marks and loose skin.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

We had some effective discussion on tackling stretch marks and other effects when shiva and few of us were very actively working at weight loss.

I believe age,genes, metabolism and even attitude plays a important role in the side effects.
    I have lost around 20 kgs and a 20 kgs( that I put on and lost in between the journey.

A drastic loss hurts not only the skin but your whole system. Our brain and cells have a memory it is so frustrating that cell memory plays a great role in weight loss. Well that is not the discussion here

Coming to side effects predominant ones muscle tone loss; skin sag and deficiency of essential minerals which in turn can effect the bones, kidneys and metabolism and of course your digestive system.

The best advice I received from my cardiologist was losing a couple of kgs and learning to maintain it allow the body to understand the loss and proceed. So though with my age and health issues I was worried about skin and muscle tone other than my tummy I have no sag and even this sag is due to multiple surgeries. The skin sag at the face can be arrested with facial exercises and massaging with oil is so beneficial for the whole body. Take a few minutes to do it. And also apply hydrating cream and moisturise your skin after a shower.

Coming to hair water plays a huge role. Then sleep, stress add to the woes. Eating the right food, drinking loads of water, sleeping well and keeping the stress away helps to a great extent.

Eat balanced food and Work out .
    dieting alone is not a solution if your body starts to think you are starving.

Have nuts and seeds like pumpkin and sunflower that has zinc and good for hair.

i am a pure vegetarian.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    VaniVyas and yellowmango like this.
  8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Lol.. like I said it was just about 1/2 kg per week, which is a healthy number according to the nutritionist.. n combined with an all natural healthy diet n fitness program, there are no side effects.

9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

True. The right balance is the important key here. There are a lot of serious side effects when this is done wrongly.

Though the weight loss didn't give any stretch marks, my pregnancy definitely did :facepalm:o_O

10. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi
    I agree with yellow mango ,that nutritious diet and exercise should be followed for weight reduction.only dieting will have side effects like hair fall,dullness in skin,low energy levels and sagging of skin.
    Gradual weight loss s the key.we have to take lots of colourful veg,greens and fruit s.one of my friend reduced 15 kg.she looked slim and energetic.her skin colour was glowing.(she had spinach smoothie etc)
    So if we Ve enough nutrition side effects will be less