1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Should we include spouses name in indian passport to get US passport for the baby

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by ramyav_cse, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi,

DH and I dont have our spouse names included in our indian passport. Now, Im going to apply for renewal of my passport. I would like to know if it is required for both parents to include spouse names in our passports to apply for US passport/PIO card for our baby? We are due next year and if it will be required, Id rather want to do this along with my passport extension. Since it requires marriage invitation card which we dont have with us now, we would like to not do it if it is not mandatory.

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Adding spouse name in the Indian passport is not a difficult task. Just do it when you renew your passport. If you dont have your marriage invitation, don't worry. Include an affidavit signed by you and your spouse, include a joint photograph, marriage certificate notorized copy, and spouse's passport copy. Also make sure you fill in the spouse name column when you fill in the passport application form online. You also don't need to pay any additional fee..

Here is the affidavit (if you are applying at CGI, San Francisco - I see you are resident of CA)

http://www.cgisf.org/Forms/AFFIDAVIT%20FOR%20CHANGE%20OF%20NAME%20AFTER%20MARRIAGE%20BY%20A%20WOMAN%20APPLICANT.pdf

For you kid's PIO card, spouse name in parents' passport is not mandatory. They check the birth certificate for the parents' name. For US passport too, I dont think its mandatory.

Hope this helps!

Indu