1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Should We Be Worried About Drinking Milk ?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Archanaanchan, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Any food documentary on Netflix talks about 2 things in common :
    1. The Meat industry
    2. Diary

10 Things We Wish Everyone Knew About the Meat and Dairy Industries

The production of food has drastically changed over the years . There is more of GM species existing . The fast food industry has evolved big. Everyone wants to focus on business and not really worry about the impacts .

Thank you @Sunburst for that quick info on milk. I have been buying milk from a local farm called Braums . Its all over Kansas state. But I am not very sure if its safe . I will switch over to milk from farmers market or whole foods . Hopefully they are much safe.

2. Archanaanchan

I agree , though i believe the Milk adulteration in India is not as much as US. Trying to switch to Vegan or plant based diet is tough. But never impossible. There a lot of options available now to make the transition easy. I also think of it many times but havent been successful.

3. September2015

September2015 Bronze IL'ite

I drink Almond, Flax, or Hemp Milk. No
    No it’s not safe many fillers are added for Fat Free or 1% or 2%. It actually sucks calcium out of your bones once we stop growing. It’s poison. I’m not bloated anymore once I stopped the cows milk too lol

Archanaanchan likes this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

My DD stopped drinking milk completely when she was 3.5 yrs old.
    I get so many advise from relatives to somehow persuade her to drink milk and to try all the possible health drink brands in market. I was also confused.
    I consulted a homeopathic Dr. who told me, it is absolutely fine and in a way much better coz today's milk are better not drunk.
    Here, we get milk ( under the brand 100% cows milk) with an expiry date of nearly 5 days which means it is not fresh and according to the Dr. these cows are injected hormones which can affect the females and is one of the main reason for attaining puberty at an early age.
    Though I didn't share it among the family members ( they cannot be convinced) Even I have stopped consuming milk . But then we do buy the curds which are obviously made from this milk. :sweat:

5. Archanaanchan

Curds are not bad because of the live bacteria . Its more safer option than drinking milk. Try setting curd at home with sample culture .

And yes there are a lot of people relating about attaining early puberty is through the harmones in milk. I am not sure if its a proven fact or people are just passing mouth to mouth.

Consuming Milk for sure is a lot of dilemma at present . Switching to alternate options is good unless there is nothing major missing from not consuming milk.

VaniVyas likes this.
  6. Archanaanchan

Vegan options suggest on consuming flax/hemp/almond seed milk . The food industry is giving too many such options to people who have diverted from Milk. But is the almond /flax/hemp milk available in market really safe to drink ? They have drawbacks too ! They will have artificial flavours and preservatives ! I tried making almond milk at home and preserved in refrigerator. The milk tasted not original after some hours even after refrigeration.The one that you get in market definitely has a longer validity which says its not preservative free !!

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I would rather consider eating beef than drinking cow's milk for various reasons.
    If I am to speak about animal cruelty and stuff, then it is much better to avoid milk at any cost, because it is really cruel even to see the cows with huge and painful udder due to the hormones that are injected for heavy milk supply.
    Then the fate of the cattle who are eventually starved to death at the very young age is another story.
    And that's behind all the branded milks we drink.

Besides, the growth hormones, and the preservatives they use for the milk is considered dangerous for human body if consumed excessively.

I see Indians use excessive amount of milk in their day today conceptions than others. Perhaps, it is because many Indians are vegetarians, who expect proteins and calcium predominantly in their dairy sources.

Everything we eat today is poison, so it is better to limit our conceptions accordingly.

Shreema86 and Archanaanchan like this.
  8. Archanaanchan

Agree ! We are left with very few choices today . Dairy is undoubtedly a thing of concern. Just curious! Dont you use any diary at all in your house ?

9. Archanaanchan

@Shanvy Hey Shanvy.. Can you please put your thoughts here in this thread on the mentioned topic ? I m sure you will have valuable info.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

We use, but at a minimum quantity.
    We get our protein and calcium and other source of nutrition through other means, basically from meat, fish, veggies and fruits.
    Here, the best thing is, we cultivate veggies and fruits (most of them except important ones) in our farm.
    And we buy fish (as a daily meal) from trusted fishermen in the city (so, they are fresh).
    And we buy beef or chicken from the vendors directly. When it comes to chicken, it is definitely NOT the farm one (broiler).

We are trying to see how best we could find organic cow's milk (definitely not from the branded source, but directly from the farmers). Can't arrange them to the city on a daily basis.

PS: This is why we are unable to move out of our place for whatever the reason.