1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Should One Go The Entrepreneur Route?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Naari, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Momsky, what an incredibly, inspiring story! Thanks for sharing that.. I really love to hear about ppl who turnaround their lives after literally seeing the bottom. I am really glad it all worked out for you. Kudos to you..

momsky likes this.
  2. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Yes , ridiculous!! I have seen worse products than this so I am not surprised . In the world of business anything can sell as long as you know how to sell it.

3. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This flexible timings is a really big myth. I am surprised that it still persists. Don't go in expecting this, you will be miserable. There is no doubt that you will have far less flexibility and far less time for family. Entrepreneurs escape 40 hour work week to enjoy 65 hour work week. Is that you?

Wanting to be your own boss has some merits. But then the there is a big price (risk, responsibility, self-management, loneliness etc) to pay for getting that freedom from authority. And that price is not worth it for a vast majority of people.

My advice is don't do it. Not worth it.

If you are an entrepreneur, you will ignore my advice.

Amica, Sandycandy, Naari and 3 others like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

True that @Jey! No better advice and no one better than you to offer this.

5. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

This reminds me of the time I went to my bank for a loan, the corporate banker not only turned me down but insulted me as well. She said I should just stick to my cake business and maybe offer a business plan writing service on the side. I left crying and embarrassed, on top of that, the banker was also Indian which hurt me more to some extent. Some of her colleagues even had smirked on their faces when she was openly criticizing me.

I sold one of my properties and went ahead with my idea. After 1.5 year, I made my first million, I went back to the same banker and made her close my account. It felt so good when she was trying to change my mind.

Change1, jskls, Amica and 3 others like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@momsky very impressive! Where is that tipping hat emoji.. !
    @Naari Nothing worth having in life is ever easy or trivial to get or keep. Even in most work places..if u want to be in a position of responsibility or be a part of the core team..its never a 40 hr work week. Atleast not in my experience.
    There are options for entrepreneurship where u can keep a steady flow of cash going for a lot less than 40 hrs a week just like there are jobs where u can clock ur hours and walk out without a trace of worry at the end of the day.
    Then there are others which take everything out of u and more . The returns however are infinitely more gratifying( not so much in the sense of $$ that too but not always guaranteed) . Both are viable options and there are a whole range of in-betweens too...depending on what u want and how badly u want to do it.
    U will never know unless u try it out. Best wishes!

momsky and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Nothing tastes sweeter than revenge. Glad you had the opportunity.

momsky and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

CW says going into business with a friend destroys the friendship. I disagree.

Starting your own business can be stressful and lonely. Far better to do it with a partner. Good partners support each other through the rough times, are a safety net during illness and one can mind the store while the other is on vacation.

Who better to partner with than a good friend? Good friends share history, values, understanding, loyalty — all of which are awesome in a business partner as well. Friends know each other's strengths and weaknesses and communicate well.

I think if you are careful to document everything and have a good contract, you're better off partnering with a friend than with a stranger.

Sure there's a risk that the friendship may be damaged by the business relationship. But if you're not up for a gamble, you shouldn't be considering entrepreneurship anyway. :p

History is replete with successful businesses started by friends: Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield of Ben & Jerry's; Bill Gates and Paul Allen of Microsoft; Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard of Hewlett-Packard; Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Google; Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs of Apple. Why not you?

If you have a good friend who shares your business values and goals, go for it. :thumbsup:

Jey, momsky, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

personally in my experience worked well for Non-profit but never tried for profit partnership

momsky, Rihana and Amica like this.
  10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Jey, are you the guy behind coding wizards iq?

Jey likes this.