1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Should One Go The Entrepreneur Route?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Naari, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I want to know your views on this subject or any experiences if you have gone this route.

I have been thinking for a long time to become an Entrepreneur maybe start a franchise business or maybe start my own business if I can come up with a lucrative, saleable product / business idea. I have been in US for a decade now, have worked full time and part-time finance jobs, but have always played with the idea of starting my own business some day. The idea of being your own boss, working at your own times and schedules and being flexible esp since my daughter is still a pre-schooler as also being an entrepreneur, appeals to me very much. But, on the other side weighing in the negatives, the entrepreneur risk, raising capital/ borrowing say for a franchise business, uncertainty about the success of the business and income and incurring losses or having to pay off the loan from savings scares me. And, I just stop thinking in that direction. But, some part of my head keeps playing with that idea subconsciously.

My questions to you ladies are:

What are your thoughts on starting own business vs working a safe, fixed income job?
    I am really interested in taking up a franchise maybe food or maybe education (I haven't studied different franchises, business models and their profitability and opportunities in my area, but those would be the determinants/ basis for my investment). Do any of you own franchise business/ own product business? what were the challenges that you had to face and how did it work out for you profitability/ income wise? Pls feel free to share your thoughts even you don't own one.. I am really looking for some perspectives here.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Me too sailing in the same boat! Eager to see the wonderful suggestions

Naari likes this.
  3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

After working a few years in a corporate world , it's a common itch that most of us go through . Anyone can be an entrepreneur but it takes something " special " for him/ her to really succeed .

If you want to go the franchise route , I strongly recommend you to do as much research as possible about the particular franchise . Most of the franchise get a huge cut from the profits you make in the name of royalty so for the amount of effort and hours you put in , the net is not that much . This is an ongoing fees that you always have to pay to them so that itself is a huge dampner . Franchising also require huge start up costs like leasing offices , setting up the place, furnishing etc and they rarely provide any help with financing so the only option you have is to either dig into your savings or apply for small business loans which again comes with huge interest rates . Also , depending on the franchise , you may also have to the cost to procure raw material which can be quite high as some have monopoly to buy the raw materials only from them or their preferred vendors . This is one way they want to make money out of you . Please research all the fees about the franchise that you are thinking of.

Otherwise , there is something called as Red ocean and Blue ocean concept . I will not get into details but red means some product is already there , doing great business ( you can check on Amazon best sellers or other sources ) ,find what's missing and what users want and you tweak it or add some more functionality to this product . Blue ocean concept means you create a niche product which doesn't exist and there is a demand for it . But again , you have to do some market research to know more about consumers , their needs, any similar products and their limitations etc. You also have to spend enough $$ on sales and marketing in order to scale your business . You can build your products for cheap through Alibaba or AliExpress. There are lots of videos on you tube if you want to understand more.

Regarding work-life balance with a preschooler , an entrepreneur need much more time and commiment than a regular job. If it's a restaurant or some fast food franchise , your major sales will be early morning , late evenings and forget about weekends completely. Same goes with any other business . Since you will be hiring staff, leasing an office, you will be working lot more than a regular job at least the few years to break even the cost. And if you happen to get some angel investors into your company ,they for sure will make your life hell.

But if you are willing to work smart and get the right tools and techniques to scale your business , you sure can . Also ,make sure you have enough savings or your DH has a stable job as a fallback option if something doesn't work out .

GeetaKashyap, IL_Admin, Amica and 9 others like this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I am not much of a risk taker so I am probably not the right person to comment here . I prefer the financial stability that a job offers. I assume your spouse ( my husband's twin ;)) is supportive, so you should give your business ideas a shot. Few of my extended family have ventured into businesses, most have succeeded but I know there is a lot of instability and lot of stress that comes with it. I have also noticed that being a entrepreneur requires a lot more investment in terms of time . Are you ok if it eats into your vacation / weekend plans?
    Wishing you the very best !!:thumbsup:

GeetaKashyap and Naari like this.
  5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Mc Donald ,subway franchise is popular. Preschools can be franchised . I don't know about USA. But all these goes well in India.

Naari likes this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Franchise concept is that they will help u set up the business , with place too. They will provide training to employees too and will standardise the service process. U may have to pay for the license as well as u need to pay later too maybe every month based on the agreement. It is good idea.Since the name or good reputation is established already , u will definitely have good amount of costumers. The only problem is we need to find the right locality where our target costumers are nearby or at least a prime area maybe like a downtown( example only) or some posh area if our target costumers are there. Great idea.

Naari likes this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Sunburst, thanks for the detailed response.
    Sunburst, I agree, it would definitely be much more time commitment than a regular job. My reason for discontent with the full time job scenario has been the time inflexibility and with a child I have seen that I have been unable to be as punctual as I was before. Also, I find myself being unhappy with something or the other in every single job and find it hard to stay as motivated and driven as I was when I start the job because of all the imperfections. Also, I am one of those who does not enjoy working for someone, taking Manager's orders, staying complaint etc etc. Anybody here like me? I feel like in your own business, you would have that fire in your belly and motivation to work all the hours you need to since it's your baby. Also, you can be independent and have freedom to conduct it the way you like it.

Yes, I have researched a little bit and know about the franchise model. The reason I am thinking of a franchise is as it is a settled, established, well accepted product. All you need to do is find areas near to you where there would be a demand for it and where there is not one to meet it. Also, I would be focusing on low cost franchises which do not require huge initial investment. That way the risk is lower.

Yes, I think of such ideas a lot, but really don't know what to do after the business / product idea. I am really not sure on how you would deal with the Alibaba/ Chinese manufacturers for them to manufacture for you and the pathway from there. Also, what about language barrier, quality control, etc? I will definitely search and watch you tube videos like you mention.

Sunburst and sindmani like this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Kumon Franchise is good as many children are willing to enroll.this one I see here in USA.

9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Yes, my twin, your husband's twin is supportive :smile: Thanks dear!

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Yes, considering this one, though as I mentioned I will be looking at low cost franchises so risk is lower

sindmani likes this.