1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should my 4 year old son remain in KG1 for another year?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by prss, Dec 6, 2012.

1. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

My son was born in October. So, when he was 3 years and 5 months old, we put him in KG1 (lower kindergarten) in an Indian school. He is a bright boy and loves to go to school. He is very good in singing and is very active. He understands concepts very quickly and gets full score in singing rhymes and answering questions.
    He has not been very interested in writing initially but has started showing a lot of interest in writing recently.

His school called us for a meeting and said that my son is a little small for KG1. They are saying that he is a little behind his peers in class (in writing alphabets), obviously, because he is much younger than others. Also they are saying that if we continue to force him to compete with his peers in KG1 (who are older than him), he may even get demotivated and dejected.
    They are saying that 6 years is the right age for 1st standard but because my son was born in October, he will be into 1st standard when he reaches 5 years and 5 months itself.
    They are suggesting that we let him remain in KG1 for another year.

I too donot want to force my son and believe in giving him the freedom to learn at his own pace. But I am a little worried that all his age kids would be on a higher class.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? What did you do?
    Please help.

2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

This is better for your son. Let him repeat kg1.

Mine is September born.

She is a very active kid and adapted a lot better but was very upset that she was not allowed to go on stage to say a couple of lines in some function. She is a very social child and was very hurt by that. :)

But cannot blame teachers as they did not want to risk because they thought that she might get stage fright and freeze. Her teacher is a very nice lady and she frankly told me that they avoid putting younger ones on stage for solo performances. Usually they are herded in the back as a group.

And better to listen to school management because you do not want you kid to have trouble in 10th std / sslc.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Yes...do let him repeat the year. It is always best to be the oldest in the class than the youngest. Besides, even if he is bright in the academic area, he still has to go through the stages of motor development and socio-emotional development. Children don't skip levels in one area to catch up with the advanced level in another. They have to go through the stages in each and area of development to be well adjusted and well rounded as adults. Enjoy the fact that he is bright and curious but let him have his full quota of childhood...

7 months is a big chunk of time in the brain's development at his age...let him be age appropriate.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

my son also falls in the same category though not so many months..infact he is jan born and missed the cutoff by a few days..and yet i am happy i took the decision of allowing him to kg at 4 ( a few schools did give application, while some did not..but today he is at the correct age as cbse has made it clear that 3.5 months is the cut off for lkg and the child should be 6 when he enters 1st std., so it would work the same for your kiddo..). it helps in the long run, be it independence, enjoying school..

and every child is different. if your child is not writing or showing interest in writing it could be that her motor skills are not in par with that of her classmate..

prss, it is ok. right now my son has a few classmates who are younger to him,. but it does not matter.

5. vidyavinod

vidyavinod Junior IL'ite

I am also in the same situation & I am also double minded. My child is jan born. She will be 5 only by jan end but is now in the UKG. when I planned to change her school, none of the schools are giving admission to 1st grade, they say the child should be atleast 5yrs 6 months in june to be in 1st std & she will be just 5yrs 4 months. They also advised me that its always beter for a child to be the eldest in the class rather than being the youngest , otherwise they get demotivated because they cannot perform well as the others. They said it would be a strain on the kid, the parents & also the teachers. I myself have felt it since at the begining she was really finding it difficult. LKG she had to learn only the alphabets, so it was fine. Suddenly when they started with words in UKG , it was a strain on her & even teachin her used to put me on stress. So finally now I have decided to let her repeat her UKG. hope I have made the right decision.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vidya a correct decision and don't fret or get confused when people pass comments..your daughter's happiness, confidence, future is what matters..she will do great.let her enjoy that one year..she will do ukg like a breeze..

in my son's case, i allowed him to be in playschool for a year instead. and if it is of any consolation, my son did well later and got a chance for double promotion in 3rd which i turned down.. he is in 9th..still has issues with writing but does things fairly well..

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vidya a correct decision and don't fret or get confused when people pass comments..your daughter's happiness, confidence, future is what matters..she will do great.let her enjoy that one year..she will do ukg like a breeze..

in my son's case, i allowed him to be in playschool for a year instead. and if it is of any consolation, my son did well later and got a chance for double promotion in 3rd which i turned down.. he is in 9th..still has issues with writing but does things fairly well..

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Well.... I'm one of the other side parent, since I was july born and always the youngest in class, and always a topper throughout, I completed 15 years after I got 10th results ...... I thought my son will cope... so when some schools didnt give admission for him (april born, so he was 5 years 2 months for 1st std), I tried other cbse schools that gave admission for his age...

Well, he's 8 now and in 4th std, still youngest in class, copes well with all oral, analytical, reading, maths etc and gets A+ throughout, teacher always says he knows much more information than the mere textbook (because he reads lots of books)

Am I happy with the decision I took??? I still dont know :)
    Anytime we think about job change or city change, we think, oh... admission will be a problem !! Although I have managed to change his school thrice due to various shiftings :)
    His writing and coloring skills need lots of improvement ... With all kinds of activities like cutting stuff, drawing, hand eye co-ordination etc he is behind his peers with regards to neatness...
    Dont know what will happen when he gets to 10th std....

So, I would also suggest you to go with the school's advice !!

9. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Thanks everyone! Like all of you have said, we have decided to put my son in KG1 next year.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Prss, i am sure the decision will be something you are going to feel proud about in a few years...all the best to him. we don't see you anymore in the keep fit..too busy??