1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Work Or Stay Home

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ATI, Feb 23, 2019.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Seems like an impossible set of tasks for the 3 hours you have. Can you get the nanny to stay back and teach her how to cook like you do? Or get a cook for two hours every to make a hot meal. I have 5 hours with my 2 year old after I return from work - and all I can barely manage is (1) dinner with pre-cut veggies and (2) some art/craft/play project (or) trip to the park/temple with my 2 year old.

Sounds very unreasonable. :-( He needs to do his parenting duties during that time. Channel/Guide/Convince him to participate in the parenting. Tell him let's cozy up on the couch after kids are asleep and then we'll chat - can you please help me with specific tasks: 1, 2. and 3. for now. (I know you're dead tired when kids are asleep - but he needs to pitch in and make life easier for you - earlier in the evening - if he values your companionship for later in the evening.)

2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

My last response was before I saw yours...I see your predicament now. It is a tough choice.

3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I hope you and husband will be able to choose to keep the nanny if you choose to stay home.

Because cooking 3 meals for 6 people in itself will take up a big chunk of your day. Even if MIL will help or choose to take up all cooking - having a nanny will be critical for your sanity.

You want to replace "office-time" with time for support to DS and self-care time.

4. ThoughtsParv

ThoughtsParv Senior IL'ite

I can empathize, in a similar situation I did not quit. Take maybe a week off and see how your days feel. I tried this and in my case I ended up spending all my time on chores I would rather outsource.
    I instead choose to maximize work life balance at work ( career advancement has been impacted but i'll catch up when my kids are older)
    My schedule -
    4:30 - Leave work
    5:00 -5:45 - Get home and spend time with younger child who stays home with nanny. Nanny is expected to help with chores at this time.
    5:45 - Older kid gets home from preschool - Next 45 mins is for him only while DH has one on one time with younger one .
    6:30 - 7:00 - Kids play with each other and DH gets time with me - BUT this me time is in the kitchen helping out getting dinner (super simple) on table
    7:00 - 7:30 - Family Dinner
    7:30 - 8:00 - Each parent puts a kid to bed
    8:00 -10:00 - More Me time and couple time. Yes lot of time is spent on chores but DH and I get to talk through it.

I have a morning nanny who drops the older kid to school so I get some extra time there too.

Edited to add:
    I did not realize your kids were older when I posted. I maybe totally oblivious to the time needed for older kids :D
    In any case, still think you should not quit, rather outsource the chores

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    startinganew likes this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@ThoughtsParv Thanks a lot for sharing!!! I cannot even imagine how two-kid households function since I barely manage with 1 toddler. Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving us such a descriptive view! So helpful and an inspiration for me to plan better and execute. Hats off to your "juggling" skills - I love the "child-handoff" between parents - I too have seen how important 1-1 time between each parent-and-kid is. :-D

6. ThoughtsParv

ThoughtsParv Senior IL'ite

You know what they say about the best made plans!
    I have my share of troubles specially this last year as I struggle with PPD. I am learning to plan the optimum scenario and then not worry too much if things don't go accordingly :)

startinganew likes this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. Please find something for yourself as you work with the kids.

It’s hard when one parent is in denial. I don’t think it’s good for the child. He will think that his emotions are something to hide. But you are dealing with it so well.

You are already doing an awesome job. Don’t think that you haven’t done anything so far. You got the help and have the resources. You have done the ground work. The toughest part is accepting that you need help and asking for it. You are also dedicated to working with your son. Your son will definitely benefit from your confidence and ability to help him. I think in time your spouse will see the change and hopefully agree that there is a small problem and there are solutions available.

You need to compartmentalize. You definitely cannot control what your ILs say and do with kids. It’s only going to hurt you when you have other things to do. As long as the mom is saying positive things to the kids, kids know when to take in what GPs say and what to ignore.
    Don’t make it a power struggle. You have already won in terms of understanding your kids specific needs. Your kids will anyway look to you and not to PILs for things. Ignore what they say. Even if it bothers you, the more you try to react the worse that will get. Nobody can ruin things for your kids when you have an exact sense of what is to be done. Yes, they can do a little damage but don’t extrapolate their influence by giving it any significance.

8. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Hi all

I wanted to provide an update on where things are. After much debate and thought I am taking a 6 month break from work. I am going to use this time to really focus on DS and help him make changes in his behavior. I am also using this as an opportunity to see what the expectations are from me as a stay at home mom. ILs are here so I can see if DH wants me to be caretaker. Since the break is time bound I can go back to work in October if I don’t like the way things are working ...

So far it’s been great:
    I am exercising almost daily
    Kids are very happy and I can already see DS benefiting from this.
    DH is definitely asking for more attention - he wants all sorts of food stuff , wants to go for hikes/ tennis etc. it’s all been manageable though . It’s kinda sweet that he really just wants to spend time with me
    Things are a bit awkward with ILs. first week they were here they wanted me to take them everywhere and DH basically said no get a Uber, she is not your taxi driver . They grumbled and haven’t really gone out anywhere ie if I was driving they wanted to go but if they have to work for it they aren’t interested!! But DH backed me up which is good.

Gtg - will provide more details later

9. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

And continuing...

DH has asked me to set up all health insurance for his parents. This is a lot of work and I told him I didn’t want to but he says he doesn’t have the time for it!! This one makes me very nervous that I will be in charge of health care and I don’t want to be the caretaker. Is this fair of me? I don’t know but...

DH has also asked me to organize his mom’s 70th bday party. I don’t mind doing this but I am worried this is a pattern

And yesterday I was in charge of buying tickets to an event they wanted to go to. Again a small thing but is it going to become more work?

DH tried to palm off Mother’s Day gift buying for his mom to me but I told him that’s his job because it’s his mom. He got mad and hasn’t arranged anything for me for mother’s day but apparently he is taking his mom shopping for a gift this afternoon. This one hurts a lot and has made me realize I have to get back to work after this break!!

shravs3, SinghManisha and Rihana like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Have you taken leave or left your job?
    Start looking for a job soon before this becomes a habit. Look. For something less stressful but full time.

Why does husband need to be so successful at the expense of his wife's mental health.

Let him tone down his ambitions and take care of his responsibilities towards your parents.

shravs3 and SinghManisha like this.