1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Work Or Stay Home

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ATI, Feb 23, 2019.

1. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

I have a dilemma. I have worked for over 20 years. Never took a day off between jobs and make a good amount of money. I have also been the primary parent for kids and managed all the household tasks with minimal input from DH. Its been very stressful and my health has suffered a lot. DH focused on his career 100% and is doing very well. He says we can now afford for me to quit my job and stay home and raise kids. The kids are heading to middle school and need a lot of help with school work/ classes etc so it seems like a good time for me to focus on them. On the one hand it feels like all the hard work over the last 20 years has really paid off and I can have a more balanced life now. I would love to maintain my house nicely, cook healthy food, workout, study with kids, etc . I may take up some consulting work just to stay in touch but it would be minimal.

But .... my ILs recently got their green card and will be staying with us for several months each year. FIL has major health issues and will need full time care soon. I am very worried that I will end up leaving my job and becoming caretaker for my ILs. If you have read my previous threads you will know the ILs have treated me very badly and we have a poor relationship. I will NOT be their caregiver - these people who hurt me when I was at my weakest. They can come and stay here as it’s their son’s duty to care for them but I don’t want to be stuck entertaining them and doing all sorts of things for them.

I am worried DH automatically expects me to care for them too. He hasn’t said anything openly but there are hints: When ILs were here last year Dh was insisting I take FIL to the doctor and I didn’t want to since fil has some personal issues I didn’t want to listen to him discuss with the doctor (hope you understand what I mean). Mil claims she can’t understand doctors in the US so she can’t take FIL. Last time I pretended to have a work meeting and DH had to take FIL. MiL is also super bitchy and will constantly point out that I am not working . She made comments about me working from home for the first 3 months after kids were born claiming ‘she doesn’t really work. She is just at home’ . She has not idea how hard it is to get my company to agree to working from home !

How do I subtly ask DH what his expectations are with regards to ILs if I quit my job? I think it will be a very difficult conversation. dH is sensitive to anything about ILs and always on the look out for anything he sees as negative towards them. He has forgotten all the bad things they did to me. Or should I just forget it and keep my job? It seems so unfair - I agreed to take on the extra workload because DH wanted to become successful so I can get a break at some point. Now all the hard work of the last 20 years (my best years frankly) was wasted because I won’t ever get a break. If I had known it would come to this I would have made DH take on more responsibilities at home and not done everything myself

One more piece for context - my cosis is a stay at home mom and her kids are older. But my BIL does not expect her to do anything for ILs. He has said so openly to us and to ILs. Can I use this to talk to DH ?

Vaikuntha and GlobetrotterG like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Going by your other thread, you will end up with 5 children. Only two will grow up into teenagers and go off to college. Don't quit work. Ever.

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I second this.
    Why is it the human tendency not to let a good thing be, and engage in self-harm ?

4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Dont quit the job! Ask your DH to pitch in for kids and house related work.

My mentor once told me ‘we women plan ahead when to quit and how to make way for other things’.. instead ‘ we need to plan ahead for keeping job and manage other things around’. ‘Quitting job’ is the first solution that comes to woman’s mind when any difficult situation arises. It is not a SOLUTION..its an EXCUSE!!

Imho.. we are not working for money alone.. there is some extra respect, financial independance and most inportantly being a role model for kids. If we give up in difficult situations.. how are the kids going to learn to deal with such situations.

Plan.. plan .. plan to make things work with your job.

5. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

If possible can you opt for an easy job where you can come back home early and can enjoy both the things.

pinkydarling likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

In your situation I would not leave the job. You will end up doing full time seva for your in-laws instead of enjoying your time off and taking care of your kids. You should have an honest conversation with your husband with regards to his expectations about what you will do for his parents. Why do you need to be subtle after all these years? If he gets upset then that's his problem. You need to be heard too.
    Keep your job, go part time if you can and use the money to make your life more comfortable: cleaning and yard services, grocery delivery and hiring home health aides for your in-laws.

7. RituMehta

RituMehta New IL'ite

You surely could try freelancing work or something less stressful like giving coachings to students in coaching center like a guest faculty.

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Reading your post it definitely feels like you will become the primary caregiver, driver, etc for your in laws. You will be expected to do all the house work n drive them for all their appointments n take care of any of their needs. N without a job protecting your hours, your entire 24/7 would be at their disposal.

If your mil can taunt you for working from home during your child birth, imagine the “no job” situation now.

Your bil seems to be clear about his wife n your ILs, wherein your dh is super sensitive about it.

Suggestions:
    Since you can’t ask your dh about all this directly, You can gently ask about how he is gona manage the doctor appointments with his ofis hours. Or come up with any work related to them n how your dh is gona manage them, make a statement - question kinda dialogue without sounding too direct that might trigger fights.

Second, Stop over doing at work n at home n share more responsibilities with the other family members too, so all are contributing n not just you alone. Try to find some Balance so that you can continue working without your health getting worse.
    Speak to your dh n kids (as they are bigger now) n try to find a balance at home. Health is important, because if it’s not taken care, it’s gona be you n your family who’s gona suffer in the long run.

KashmirFlower, Vaikuntha and swiss like this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Well, doesnt matter what you DH says now, once your ILs are with you , you have to do all the stuff.
    Who will take them to the doc, why will your DH take leave when you are "free" at home?
    Who will cook then stuff per their needs - you
    Who will be their gopher ? you
    You will take over even the little bit of stuff your DH does at home.

If you think you are busy now and quitting will give you time to spend more quality time with yourself and with family - well you couldnt be more wrong. You will land up being just as busy and no time for self , just that now you have no pay , and lesser respect from all - not just ILs but also your kids and DH.

10. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Please dont ever quit your job. Especially since your inlaws are going to live with you soon. I would go crazy cooped up 24*7 with inlaws. Inlaws responsibility’s will definitely fall on you since you are at home. It would spoil peace for the entire family. If current job is stressful please look for less stressful positions, but dont quit.