1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I give him another chance? - Big Post - Its 6 years of my life

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pranibaby, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

In your initial post you have described yourself as optimistic, practical, career oriented and independent individual. With this background you think and decide what are the basic needs of a good marriage.

1) both need to trust each other

2) both need to care for each other

3) the couple should feel that in the circle of influence, the spouse first, the child next and the extended family.

Your husband has not demonstrated any of this qualities. A good man would never allow anyone to question the paternity of his own child even if it is his own parents. A good man will not let his child to be away from him for this long.

You are wrong in putting conditions like he needs to get his sister married before accepting him back. That is tacit acceptance that your marriage depends on his sister and parents. A marriage should stand on its own for the love each spouse has for the other. It should be unconditional.

If i were you I will ask him the following questions before even considering to accept him back:

1) Will he defend and protect his wife and son for the rest of his life?

2) Is he determined to live with his wife and son always?

3) is he willing to change himself to become different person whether with or without medical help.

If he does not answer any of this, he is not worth living with. I am sorry if my candid response hurts you in anyway.

2 people like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Another important thing. Don't allow other logistics to affect you decision. You make the decision first and then face whatever is the outcome.

3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

About cutting off from his side of family... it need not be a permanent thing. But when you talk to your husband do put forth this condition; though inside you know its not practical. May be 3 to 5 years of abstinance will do good to both you and your ILs. Use this cut off period to get close to your husband. Not everyone will have the capabilities of communicating openly the way we do especially the workiing women...so try other methods of getting to know what is grinding in his mind.

If I were you I would still give another chance to him and try to bring in some changes in him slowly but steadyly.. may be taking one baby step at a time.

Also, before deciding either ways.. have you thought whether ILs are really the problem or something external which probably you are not even aware of... It may so happen that you have been thinking its your ILs and something else is cooking up in him life outside... you know what I mean... just think on those lines as well...may be he is in deep trouble else where and not able to talk about it to you./

4. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    I am sorry about your situation. But I know that you are ready for both type of decisions. That's a great open mind.

Firstly, speak with him alone. Tell him that you cant take SIL's and MIL's interference anymore if you were to be together with him. Make it clear that you will just not take anymore insults like him not complying to live like a normal husband. Like, he should nit walk out suddenly leaving you, or not eating what you cook etc. For all these sorts of abnormal behaviours, say that you cannot stand any more and that you are already more than fed up.

Make it very clear to him that this is the one last chance if he agrees to your conditions and that he should not influence you with your MIL and SILs decisions on any matter. Tell him that you are not their slave. And that you are also born to parents who want their daughter to lead a happy married life.

If he agrees to your terms, take him in else reject him and proceed with your life.

Regards,
    Tinku

5. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

You need to have a serious discussion bout this with ur DH and ur parents who are supporting you now... Make the points to be very clear and sort out all the issues.. If he agrees to be bold and courage enough to support you when ur IL's behave in a weird manner. You just cannot patch up with him if he remains the same.. There is no use... Please live together only if there are changes in him.. try making him understan what all you went through make it a point he listens to your talk...

6. SharmilaBanu

SharmilaBanu Silver IL'ite

you should speak with you H first and put conditions as tinku said. he cant do similar and take you for granted. and by the way, how come he dint come for 18 months? is it pressure of you moving to India and people talk about it kindled or he really feels that he has done bad.. Did he admit whatever he did is not a normal committed person wil do? If he doesnt admit, I woudl better say NO to the relationship again. I respect your decision not to take decisions in haste. and on onething, about paretns -- you cant force anyone to get married. but you can make them stay away from your life. if he wants you, he has to be away from them. financial help is ok. but not more... better say that you will not attend any functions organized by them. Give a try !! IF not, you are an optimistic person - you will have a better LIFE

7. RJMK

RJMK Silver IL'ite

You asked a question so i am replying you.
    Its a big NO from my side...I am sorry dear for being do curt,but dont you think if you really wanted to give him a chance..you wont be asking us here...
    So a BIG NO NO NO...GO back to India and have a life with your son...

8. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Do you believe he will be there for you and your kid? If your inner voice says 'Yes' then give him another chance, if 'No' then move on.

9. pranibaby

pranibaby New IL'ite

Here is the update, having discussed these issues with DH - He now has something new to say. His accusations on me

1. I cause him mental trauma because I don't respect his parents - he acknowledges that they don't respect me either but he thinks as a women (In his life)- i should just care for them till they change their opinion/learn to live like this
    2. He does not think that his Sister should be married as he and IL thinks late marriages always lead to divorce:bonk (..ahem.. mine wasn't a late marriage.. still)

My questions to him were

1.what disrespect have i done .. they taunt me .. say things to my parents and you walk out .. Any human will get frustrated .. I have some self respect too .. i mean .. I have a life .. i don't like to be shouted upon all the time. There is a limit of how much I tolerate .. at least you should have had some understanding

what do you try to achieve by walking out all the time?
    DH does not answer

2. Why should the understanding be only from my side .. why don't your parents take the initiative?
    DH says they don't care and they say I "deserve" a divorce - he personally is trying to set things right and that I should co-operate.:coffee

3. What are you doing from your side to help this .. why can't you change your parents opinion.. if you need your wife and child .. why can't you say that to your parents?
    DH says they are like that .. that's how it is and it will not change.

4. Do you care what your wife feels .. why do you think I should do all this now. Don't give me emotional BS saying "for the child" - DS does not recognize you as his father not only that, we have done this before .. things have not changed.. we are still in this situation.. why is it different now ..
    DH does not answer for sometime and then says he wants to have a family

5. You want a family..at what cost.. people whom you care.. they are your family.. why do you need to have two more miserable individuals in your house to make you feel like having family -
    DH does not answer

7. what if i say "no" - would you still not want a family?
    DH does not answer

8. In case I agree ..How long should I "keep IL Happy" .. I mean you should have some timeline, date year.. etc.. what if they don't stop at all
    DH says that how indian culture is.

9. I taunted:rant - So you think your family is having "Indian Culture" .. Is shouting and abusing me very much like "Indian Culture" - I know I should not have said this .. but I could not help
    DH did not answer

10. If you come back, and your tactics don't work.. I get frustrated too.. and .. why is it that you think you will not walk out again?
    DH does not answer
    - - so you will ..you wont need a "family" then..
    DH says i should give another chance..

I already told him that I have to discuss with my parents - and i will get back. I am not satisfied with his answers. I did not expect him to say something more aggressive ..:bowdown.. but I am even more confused :bonk this is going round and round.

About financial commitments , I know that DH is still paying for the house that IL are living .. I checked with him on that. IL wanted me to contribute to that from my pay .. but DH did not ask.

The fact is that DH has never been "bad person" .. he is more like a "victim of war" .. but I know its his fault too..he should own up some responsibility and should not walk out(or Cry divorce) .. Should I sympathize with DH and make my life miserable..? Should i give another chance?

Its more like if I go back .. i know it will not change .. it will hurt me (and probably DH ,DS also..) .. But if I don't , then again its not very different

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Dear Pranibaby

My heart goes for you. If I was in your place I won't fall into same trap again n again. No culture allow women abuse or exploitation. Some men hide their parents faults behind culture, tradition blah blah....He has already spoiled precious 6 years of you life. Don't let him spoil any more if you have alredy moved on.......Go with your instincts.....Good luck to you!!