1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Be Worried About My (almost) 3 Year Old?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Rakhii, Jun 11, 2018.

1. PallaviD

PallaviD Senior IL'ite

When my daughter was 3 i had a live in maid as i had just delivered my second child. One day my elder daughter came to me and told me that she has 2 mummys. One was me and the other was my maid!. I was shocked and found it very difficult to make her understand things. Later i also found that my maid was so attached to her that she made my daughter call her mummy when i was not around! So it could also be in your case that your son is refering to his care takers in day care as mummy. Because they do the same things like looking after him and feeding him. Also notice when he asks for such things. For eg. Does he ask to go home when you want him to do something. And he doesnt want to follow your instructions and is buying time by asking for imaginary things. Does he ask for his mommy when he is having a tantrum or is very sleepy? Children do ask for things that cannot be given (in your case the imaginary home and mummy) just to get what they want which they are not able to express. For eg. You may have denied him a chocolate and he makes a tantrum, but when you ask him why is he crying he is not able to ask for chocolate and will rather make up an imaginary story like i want to go home.

Cool10 likes this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I will probe, thank you.

3. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,
    I am a regular reader of many of your posts (almost all :)) I vaguely remember a post from you about your daughter couple of years back that she mentions that she's able to see someone near a tree in front of your home or something on similar lines. Your this thread reminded me of that. Do you feel there's any link (I mean the age at which kids imagine things). I am sorry i am not able to dig up to that post and link it here.
    Rakhii, i personally feel there's nothing much to worry about. It is just a phase. It will pass too. I pray that everything is resolved sooner for you and your kiddo.
    Take care.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:There are numerous instances I heard about this nature among kids and young toddlers. The turn around takes place definitely after several months and in isolated cases in years. But I have strong conviction that your boy is a born humorist.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

7. BiriyaniAroma

BiriyaniAroma Silver IL'ite

How is your kid now ? What did the doctors say after evaluating this behaviour of him

friendabc likes this.
  8. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

I recollect this incident happened when i was in fourth std. one of my neighbours kid, who was three or four yr old then, would come to our home and play with us. He was so fond of me that he would call my dad appa and my mom mummy. He wud simply copy my activities. he used to say this to his grandma "i am going home to drink water and i will come back after sometime" whenever he felt thirsty. he just imitated the excuse that i gave him to go bk to my home. He made big fuss to sleep in his bed. he wud cry and shout " nan veetuku pooren". his parents were not happy with this kind of behaviour, later the stopped him sending to our come and gave silly excuses when i went to play at his home.
    So, hope there must be someone like me to your son at his daycare or in your neighbourhood area and he is simply following him/her.

9. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

i also want to know ...how is he now?? did u take him to doctor??

10. BiriyaniAroma

BiriyaniAroma Silver IL'ite

@Rakhii

Many here are eagerly waiting for your reply

friendabc likes this.