Should Everyone Wear Masks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by startinganew, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

perhaps this would help:
    3M Masks and Respirators: 3M Medical: 3M US | 3M United States
    I have N-95 masks from 3M. It is called a "respirator" in their literature. I may have mentioned in another post somewhere.... it is somewhat difficult to breathe through. If one were to wear it for a working shift, that would be really tough. Most masks, or especially respirators, are useful in that you can step out of the house to a nearby shop or park, and if you have to be near someone, they wouldn't be affected by your expansive exhales-- if you should be one of those non-symptomatic carrier --, because you cannot do an expansive exhale with those things on:hmmm::facepalm:.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

In hospitals they also create negative pressure rooms . I don’t know the details but she said hepa filter and negative pressure is what they do . There are several studies conducted in the rooms with covid patients which proved that the air particles tested positive for virus . But at the same time I’m not sure how we can protect ourselves without gasping for air in that n95 masks . How to you feel using cloth masks ? Do you feel comfortable breathing ?

startinganew and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Ideally yes, but we have a pandemic and we should stay home. Let the health care workers that are working in highly infectious conditions use it.
    When the stay at home orders recommend only going out for essential activities, we stick to it. Going every week for groceries like before is not a essential activity. We cannot sit in the comforts of our home and complain that we do not have access to masks.
    N95 respirator masks need to be fit tested before use. Which means for the general public using it , it is probably not even effective.

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This one :clap2:

5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

The chart in the second post incorrectly shows that Singapore advised use of masks. Singapore govt insisted on no masks for the healthy. Schools do not allow children to use masks within campus. Even when volunteering, the organisations were insistent on not using masks to send the message that healthy people dont need masks.

Some people here however used masks. When I took the train, I used a surgical mask cos the trains can be crowded, space between people can be as little as 2-6 inches. So if your neighbour coughs or sneezes and doesnt have a mask, droplets likely will land on your face. Just from sight I would say for every 10 people on the train, 2-3max had masks on. This was in Feb. Now working from home so I am not using masks at all. Heard that the trains are not crowded now with lots of people working from home. I dont use masks while going for walks /cycling / supermarket which I visit late night

Just my opinion again, N95 masks when used properly make it hard to breath unless there is a vent, and even then pretty uncomfortable. So far transmission has been said to be by droplet so a N95 mask is really overboard for the layman. PS I read that N95 masks filteration of Corona virus is 95% vs surgical mask is 80%

With social distancing measures in place, masks dont help. But if you will come in close contact of less than 2 feet with others, then it might be meaningful. Again just my opinion.

I also think it depends on the person using it - like the elderly, the immunocompromised, and those living with such members etc should definitely be extra cautious.

startinganew and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The advice against wearing masks was IMO irresponsible. They could have been straightforward and said that there was a shortage of PPE and that medical workers needed priority but it was simply disingenuous to go around saying that masks were not effective. A mask can help prevent the transmission of viral particles from an infected person. Given that many people are likely asymptomatic carriers this can help to curtail the spread.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Exactly. Mixing up the "shortage of masks" with "masks are not effective" was irresponsible.

========
    I can't bring myself to use or buy a mask that can be used by a health professional. That is not right. But next time I go to the Indian store (if I go), I am taking the mask I use when using the leaf blower. At my Indian store, if you turn and give someone a look for getting too close to you, they smile back. !!!!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Definitely else just like TP everyone would hoard bundles of masks and it would create more chaos for medical professionals.

9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Exactly my point. I can bet we will hoard more masks than we will ever need just like the rolls of toilet paper we have hoarded.

10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

More comfortable than even surgical masks they are absorbent. But that is the downside, since it absorbs moisture, it is not supposed to be helpful. The mask needs to have waterproof layer.

On a lighter note- cloth masks look cool, I got black ones . Like BTS :p