Should Everyone Wear Masks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by startinganew, Mar 31, 2020.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Yes, please.

I have been asking my friends and family to wear masks when going in public even though WHO/Indian+US Government authorities are recommending no need to.

The reasons given by these authorities are:
    1. No one wears them correctly
    2. It gives a false sense of security
    3. We will be taking life-saving masks from those who need them the most. (Doctors/nurses/public service personnel)
    4. Fake/DIY masks are not effective

The solution for these problems is not to recommend people not to wear masks!!

Instead each of these issues should be handled, probably like this?

1. No one wears them correctly
    > Educate people with videos and use media like TV/whatsapp to send government or local hospital sourced videos on how to wear reusable masks. Teach folks how to sanitize them at the end of public outing with soap/water/bleach solution.

2. It gives a false sense of security

> Yes again mass education of all. Mask wearing along with stay at home + physical distancing + hand washing + sanitizing all products coming in to home is what will work. Wearing mask does not replace any of the other precautions - even staying 1.5 metres from all.

3. We will be taking life-saving masks from those who need them the most. (Doctors/nurses/public service personnel)

> Teach people how to make DIY mask with govt approved patterns and locally available filters. Make it clear to them that common man should not hoard N95s and surgical masks.

4. DIY/fake masks are not effective:
    > Research has clearly shown that respiratory droplets come not only from coughing or sneezing - just talking produces sufficient droplets to infect others. I have read that extensive studies have been conducted in labs on the efficacy of various types of DIY masks - given the global shortage of the N95 mask. And I have read that while surgical masks reduce exposure to corona-virus like particles by 97%, a simple 2 layer mask made from a thick cotton-T shirt can reduce by 50%. And this to me is a significant number!

Previously and many people even now believe - infection happens only from infected people showing symptoms. Research has now shown that even fully healthy people - who may be

1. Pre-symptomatic (In their bodies, the virus is in incubation during the first 2 days to 14 days)
    2. Asymptomatic (their body does not and will no show symptoms at all even after 14 days)
    3. Mild symptoms (just aches, no cough or fever)

All the above folks can also pass on the infection.

Given this critical point ^^^ - it is most important for all of us to wear masks when we head out. So we don’t pass on the infection to others or getting it from others.

In the last fews day, I have been glad that newspaper articles are beginning to acknowledge the fact that governments are possibly recommending this incorrectly - only to stop panic/alarm among the masses, but we should go ahead and wear masks to help flatten the curve however much as possible

COVID-19: WHY WE SHOULD ALL WEAR MASKS  — THERE IS NEW SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE
    Masks Save Lives - COVID-19
    More Americans Should Probably Wear Masks for Protection

2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

From maskssavelives.com

upload_2020-3-30_18-15-16.png

upload_2020-3-30_18-16-13.png

KashmirFlower, kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I think it is best to wear masks and also gloves for safety measures in these tough times.Why risk it?

Thyagarajan and startinganew like this.
  4. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I still don't have a good pattern that has verifiable evidence, but I am looking continually. Here are a few from as reliable a source as I could find: (I avoided youtube direct search because problem is we don't know the background of the person and their expertise in this)

From a hospital that is accepting home-made masks:
    https://about.kaiserpermanente.org/...ads/2020/03/02_COVID_Mask-Instructions_v9.pdf

Found these two from a DIY worldwide Covid medical supplies group of hospital staff:

1. "Covid ranger" is a type of pattern: Here you will find instructions to print, cut and sew:
    Covid Rangers | Care masks for medical professionals

2. Pattern "Fu"
    FreeSewing

From what I can tell masks with a pocket in the center to include a disposable filter are definitely better. I saw a graph on the efficacy of using different home items as filters.

Rihana likes this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Is your mask reusable ?

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for starting the thread, startinganew. : ) I was thinking of posting this in one of the COVID threads.

Right from early March, I was not able to understand the masks related advice. I read quite a few articles to figure out why they were advising against using them unless one is sick or taking care of a sick person. Invariably, each article said that the WHO does not advice wearing masks and a statement in a later paragraph that masks are in short supply and should first go to health professionals. And that, most masks don't help.

I don't get it. Yes, masks should first go to doctors, nurses, etc. But, why advice the general population against using masks? All the reasons provided seem silly. Only today I have started to see more articles saying that general public using masks makes sense.

An online seller I have bought birthday party stuff really long ago has sent email that they can deliver KN95 masks and less protective masks (disposable) in 2-3 weeks. Have to order in bulk though.

For me, a mask will help with not touching the nose and mouth area. Which is a big help.

Whatever.. getting quite tired of the conflicting advice everywhere.

7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I don't have a mask pattern that is my own. But the DIY masks need to be sanitized carefully. My opinion is: if we can wash our hands to kill the viruses - we can be taught to correctly sanitize our cloth masks. I can try to find a link on how to. On top of my head from what I currently know; washing with soap + water + bleach should be effective.

8. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Yes, Rihana, dear - so conflicting. My family thinks I am the alarmist in their midst. :) But in medical staff and scientific forums, I am reading that this is one of the worst policy decisions that authorities might have incorporated in the early days. Please read the links at the bottom of my post - your attention to detail and ability to find holes in arguments - will allows us all to learn more.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  9. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

It depends on the cloth type and diameter of virus . Do you think whatever you are using might protect the virus from entering the mask ?

startinganew likes this.
  10. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

In Europe and US - even in the cities where the outbreak is starting - you will notice only a small percentage of people are wearing masks. Hence my urge asking people to start making them and wearing them...

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.