1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should Children Remain Children or Are They Miniature Adults

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Moumita1, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

A group of my friends were expressing anguish over an article that said that talked about how little children are being introduced to the world of cosmetics and spa treatments. And then a friend of mine said that her 6 year old was invited to a birthday party of seven year old at a beauty salon and spa, and that set me thinking.

We have been brought up in a generation where cosmetics were a big ‘No’ till one reaches the college days. But this is a different generation altogether, or is it? When my ten year old daughter wants to know when she can go to the parlour for removal of body hair, I find myself saying ‘at 14’ and then praying that I have the strength to keep the decision at bay till she actually reaches 14 years of age and not sooner. At this point of her life, she thinks 14 years is far off and for me it can’t be any sooner. What worries me is the fact that children are wearing cosmetics and visiting beauty salons, and our generation of mothers are accepting such things as a matter of fact. Some will call this sexualisation of children, though I cringe to call the phenomenon by such a harsh word.

So the question remains that should we allow our children to develop this interest in their looks at such tender ages or not, which is followed by my next confusion, then what is the right age to allow children to experiment with their looks? When I look at children performing at the reality shows that goes in the name of talent hunt, I cringe at the sight of little ones in garish costumes and makeup, breaking into very adult gyrations and dance movements, all in the name of competition, and can’t help but wonder what effect this is having on such tender, impressionable minds. Are we raising a generation of fiercely competitive children, who will grow up knowing it’s all right to experiment, without knowing pros and cons of what they are getting into? And if we remain confused as parents, how can we be a good role model to our children?

The disturbing sexualisation of little girls revealed

2. anjali10

anjali10 New IL'ite

HI Moumita,

I endorse your view. How many times I think of it whenever I see children talent shows.
    Competition starts so early on and we as parents sometimes get carried away. I try not to compare or expect much from my child.

I feel its TV that doing the damage.

3. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Hi Moumita,

Excellent post. I have often wondered at the same thing. My mother did not allow me to do my eyebrows till I was 19 and I was quite upset with that because of the peer pressure and how other girls were at that time.

Nowadays I imagine the pressure to look good and well groomed is much much higher and I am often confused if the mother who stops her child from these treatments is doing right thing ( as she will expose her child to ridicule) or is the mother who encourages/ gives in to the grooming trends doing the right thing( as she invariably made her child an adult). Its a difficult and tricky question.

4. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Hi Moumita...good views...but sometimes mothers (not all!!) stand as role model for youngsters to go in for cosmetics. They tend to follow the elders...of course though that isn't the right age!!

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thought provoking article. Mom always did the hair, no matter how tight, lose, good, bad, ugly it was, that was it. Apart from hair, a bindi on the forehead and a little kajal(out of practice) was all that one had time to do before rushing off to school or college. But times are changing. Being presentable is nice, but going a step above to be attractive is not required atleast until they're old enough!
    Spending a lot of time in the parlor or in front of the mirror, freaking out when a small pimple breaks out or make up sessions with the girl's gang etc might keep a girl inline with her peer group, but not really necessary now.

6. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Yes, loved your article
    We cannot stop children beyond a point. We cannot prevent them from indulging in things which were not there common during our period of time. We can only make them understand what is good and what is bad and help them make the right choices

cheers
    suresh

7. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Hi Moumitha, the same concerns i have also expressed in my blog Acting smart. Children are very adamant these days and we give in to their demands. But they don't know what is good or bad for them. As Suresh has pointed out we can do our bit by making them understand what is good or bad for them. Regards,
    Maalti

8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

hai moumita,

one to one discussion i.e. parent and kid will surely help us out for this. Our advise with regular intervals to make
    them realise what is good and what is bad whether
    it is necessary or not????

We can bring and mould our child in a good manner.

Hence donot worry my dear IL.