shopping in Sowcarpet

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by Traveller, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya,
    For your to benefit have merged your query with already existing thread. Hope the info here is useful. Do shoot when you need to know more.

2. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Deepa and Bujji,
    Thanks soo much for you help.
    I will check out those shops during my next trip.

Bujji, if u find the store name or location do pls let me know.

Thanks,
    Priya

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

While shopping in sowcarpet(particularly sarees and salwar materials) should we bargain or do they follow a fixed rate... i had been there in childhood days so i am not aware..kindly some one help me

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

How do you maintain those sets? I'm not very good at collecting accessories but only now have developed interest:) I hope this time during my trip i have enough time to check-out sowcarpet...

Latha

5. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Traveller, you can get jewellery boxes for earrings and chains, and bangles in stand, or bangle boxes. some of the daily wear i store them in ice cube trays so it is easy to see and take out rather than boxes. only the expensive ones i keep in boxes. the stone jewellery should be maintained well or else the stones fall off and it is a waste. no water on any of the jewellery or else the gold color is gone if they are imitation ones. you can also store each set in a plastic container. I am planning to get those big velvet boxes where we can store more than 10/15 ear studs for gold plates ones. Priya

6. coolheart

coolheart New IL'ite

Storing Junk earrings in the ice cube tray is a good idea, Priya.

7. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

Can you tell me name of some good stores in sowcarpet(where u don't need to bargain much as my mother is not very good in bargaining). she wants to buy around 15 sarees for the function at home. Do you get only fancy sarees or even u get sarees for 40+ age people. Do you get sarees starting from Rs.200 or even more?

if you can give some direction to shop will be highly appreciated.

8. anudhivi

anudhivi Silver IL'ite

hi IL'ites,
    i want to buy some embroidery threads, zardosi, quilling paper, handmade paper, ziploc covers, sealed covers,tailoring materials such as thread, needle, scale, marker , etc...

i want to buy all these in sowcarpet.

can any one help in which street these things are available.

if u say a particular shop i will be very happy.

other than oswal is there any shop to get beads??

9. aanandhi

aanandhi New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I want to buy some 20-30 kurtis in both cotton and synthetic materials...am new to this site.. someone pls tel me the shops who sell materials in quite reasonable price....thanks in advance...:)
    cheers
    aanandhi

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

As much as I know, there is no bargaining at Parrys corner - that includes sowcarpet.They tell a rate(mostly nominal, wholsesale rate) - you take it, or leave it. No bargaining. I have bought for nearly 10K at Oswal, and he barely reduces Rs. 40 to round it off!

Bandar Street and Andersen street are known for paper/statinonery items.Dont expect a huge drip in prices. Also all shops near the Adyar Ananda bhavan are stationery shops. Once again, you wont find huge differences. On the same street as oswal, there are some stores that sell thread, needles, sequins - you can check there.

There are many other shops that sell beads - Oswal is the cheapest.

Vijay Tex, and all other shops on Mint Street.

Arch

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009