shopping in Sowcarpet

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by Traveller, Mar 22, 2008.

1. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear latha,
    as sowmini said passion is gud for work saris and simple ones as well.
    and for salwar materials before jain temple there is a small lane there is a shop called monas there he has got gud collection.
    i think we should all definitely go together.
    husbands pockets will bomb!!!!!
    but thats the fun!!!!!:thumbsup
    luv
    pavi

2. kavinarayan

kavinarayan Bronze IL'ite

hai ladies,
    very nice discussion throughout...where is this jain temple i have no idea....is it the jain temple near the jain college near choolai...pls let me know and does he have party wear cotton material..?

kavi

3. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hai

I have purchased textiles from shops in old washermenpet near central . quality of ready madedress is so good.

4. anudhivi

anudhivi Silver IL'ite

hi latha,

went thro this thread today only. went to sowcarpet last week to buy materials for jewellery and painting there and disappointed.
    cant able to get in narayana mudali st. now only i came to know that in this street only plastic items will be sold. i enqiured the shopkeepers in that st. like these items will be? but they said that go in this street itself to get all these items. finally disappointed abt the wrong guidance.hmm.

latha, can u help me whr we can get materials for jewellery, painting and embroidery there?

regards,
    dhivya

5. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi friend!Sowcarpet is a buyers' paradise! As far as painting materials goes, try the row of shops opposite to the Pookadai police station parking lot in parry's corner.You have to go around the shops for prices and then make the purchase, since it varies a little bit from each other.Lot of lanes and bylanes are there where you have to walk and scout for the things you need to buy.Best of luck!

6. lakshi

lakshi New IL'ite

Hi

Just to introduce myself, living in Australia, working mother with two children and my hub, love to see tamil movies, tele dramas and love all the indian clothes.

This is my 1st visit to IL and I have seen very interesting and useful topics in this site. Good to see all of your generous support to each other.
    I am visiting to Chennai on the 1st Feb, wanting to visit Sowcarpet.
    Very exciting, pls. tell me where about Jain temple exactly. I've located Godown St, Mint St and NSC Bose Rd. For salwar material and costume jewellery and slipers. Pls. help me.
    Also want to know where I can buy ever silver kitchen dishes and spoons in T Nagar area. I've visited Ratnas stores. like to see other shops for different styles.

thanks
    Lakshi

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Planning to shop dress materials in sowcarpet next week or some other weekend ...before need ur advice about shopping there...do the wholesale sellers tell genuine price or should we bargain a lot...i have been there long back so i am not aware about all these..kindly someone share here your experience...hope latha mam could help me!

Thanks.

8. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

sowcarpet area shopping

Hi,
    During college days few of my friends(marwari) used to wear cute jewellery sets and they say they buy in sowcarpet area.

Anyone know which shops are good in sowcarpet area? they used to wear pretty jewellery but they are all small and simple for everyday wear, and some were grand ones.

Thanks
    Priya.

9. deepss25

deepss25 Bronze IL'ite

Re: sowcarpet area shopping

hi priya,

you can check out at vishal gold covering,in balaji complex in veerapan street in sowcarpet.they have a lot of small sets with small earings which can be worn on salwars.i got a few of them in the range of 150 to 250 rupess.happy shopping.

regards

deepa:)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Re: sowcarpet area shopping

Priya

I too like those accessories. I had a necklace set with hangings for 2 years which I loved. Most of the people mistaken it as gold.
    But I am sorry I do not remember the shop name. :(