Shopping in Delhi

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by PreetiSandhu01, May 26, 2009.

1. PreetiSandhu01

PreetiSandhu01 New IL'ite

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="Street"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="address"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City" downloadurl="http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place" downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Shopping is always on top of the itinerary chart for any tourist visiting <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Delhi</st1:city></st1:place>. There is an array of items of tourist choice, such as jewelry, carpets, handicrafts, precious stones, silks and silver ware. Not to forget the huge range of garment shops in and around Delhi.<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on"></st1:country-region></st1:place>

The distinct feature of <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:city> market is that every shopping hub has its own ambience and specialty. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Haus</st1:placename> <st1:placename w:st="on">Khas</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Village</st1:placetype></st1:place>, <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Connaught Place</st1:address></st1:street> and Chandni Chowk have distinct features and have their own special attractions, yet each of them showcases an appearance of this historical city.

Which is your favorite shopping arena in Delhi
    (There surely must be reasons for that ) :exactly:

2. ashwiniyadav01

ashwiniyadav01 New IL'ite

Hi Friends from Delhi, I need your help. My friend is visiting Delhi shortly. She wants to buy some souvenir from Delhi to be given a gift to friends and relatives. What do you suggest to buy from Delhi which in true spirit will reflect the memory of Delhi. And also, please let me know where to buy them.

Thanks in advance.
    Ashwini
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

Well, I will suggest that you buy some good traditonal clothes and jewellery from Delhi as they reflect the true colorful and dhamakedaar culture of the city. You can go to Janpath too and buy some metal showpieces and other wooden artifacts from there.

4. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

I like the suggestion of Janpath. In addition to metal or wood art works, the area is the favorite for college girls out shopping for their dresses – everything from dresses, jootis and even inexpensive funky jewellery.

In case you are looking for good value for money, do drop in at the Cottage Emporium at the STC building or the Jawahar Vyapaar Kendra. It is a microcosm of the best that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> has to offer. It has everything from pottery to garments to ivory products to wooden statues – and all in excellent condition and finish. You must visit it and take your pick. One thing is assured – it wont be easy making a choice.
    :cheers

5. PreetiSandhu01

PreetiSandhu01 New IL'ite

Another place I loved shopping in Delhi is Dilli Haat. I have gone there once 2 years back, but I must say you can find a whole lot of authentic stuff mainly crafts from all parts of the country. And the most attractive part of Dilli Haat for me was to savor the cuisines of different Indian states.

Many things must have changed over 2 years. I'd love to visit Dilli Haat again. Tell me what best to buy from there - I mean the best stalls, which cuisines are the best etc.

Thanks,
    Preets<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. GarghKavita

GarghKavita New IL'ite

How can we forget Karol Bagh? This market is one of the most popular one in Delhi. Its especially famous for clothes shopping as there are so many showrooms that you will be spoiled for choice. It is a good place to buy some precious jewellery.

7. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Thanks for all the information. It will really help me in my next trip to Delhi. I'd like to know one thing from you all Delhites...are Malls popular in Delhi as in other cities nowadays? I mean, you all have written about various places for Shopping in Delhi, but haven't mentioned any Malls.

For me, sometimes shopping in Malls is nice especially in summer afternoons when it is scorching hot outside. Don't you think so?