Shopping hours in Germany?

Discussion in 'Indians in Germany' started by indira, Jan 18, 2007.

1. indira

indira Junior IL'ite

Friends from Germany,

I heard that in Germany shops close at 5pm on week days and 2pm on Saturday and doesn't open on Sunday. Is it true? Here in the US, we are used to 24 hour Wal-Marts and wonder how life is in Germany, where you could forget an important item to buy on Saturday morning and have to wait 1 1/2 days to buy it on Monday? Just curious!!!

Indira

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

It 'was' so...

Dear Indira..(btw, I have always liked that name!)

Those were the opening hours for stores in Germany some years back. Luckily..or unluckily..depends on which view point one has(!)..it has changed now. In most big cities and many towns, the shops have longer opening hours and some are open even on Sundays. But it might be different in very small towns.

L, Kamla

3. indira

indira Junior IL'ite

Thanks..

Thanks Kamla for your response and for liking my name. You have to thank my Mom for coming up with this name :)

Did you live in Germany? Were the shopping hours as I mentioned while you were there? Did you ever feel that as a constraint?

Indira

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

In Norway too

Hi Indira,Kamla,

The opening hours for supermarkets were wierd in Norway too. They wld close at 5pm saturdays and open only at 9am Mondays. The worst time was Easter when shops would close for almost a week. It was very irritating in the first year, when we did not know this.

In Norway, supermarkets are allowed to sell candy etc to children only on Wednesdays. This is based on a recommendation from the Dentists and Schools council. Atleast until a year back, when I was there. Is it the same in the US also?

5. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In Saudi they will close for SALA TIME

Hi Indra, kamla and Vidya,

I am in Saudi Arabia and here they will close and open shops at their prayer time. That is every day 5 times they close and open. During SALA TIME (PRAYER TIME) they will close the shops and we must stand on the road and wait. Even banks they will close at that time.

Now a days they are allowing people in side the malls, to stay and shop but no one can come inside or go out at that time. They will close the doors and after SALA they will put bill.

In the time of RAMADAN, waaw! it is a wonderful experience to be in Saudi. All the shops will remain open full night. We can pur. full night. With out any fear we can return home at any time. But in the day time almost all the shops will remain closed, and we are not suppose to eat or drink anything outside than our house.

There is a news paper news that in Saudi they sell food items 10 times more in the month of RAMADAN.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    I seemed to have missed this thread.....sorry for responding late....
    Kamala, can you believe , we have big malls open now till 10 and on sundays also. All this started during the soccer season, and now in Christmas time , each area would keep the centrums open on different weekends, and on one week day it was upto 10. Now also in Frankfurt, the normal shops are open till 10 it seems. The rule has been changed , and shops are allowed to keep them open for longer!
    Of course when i first came, my sugar or salt or coffee powder, would get over and i would be wondering where to go on sunday....of course some shops are open in main station and airport. So for emergency , these are there.
    But things are changing slowly! Lets hope we too have 24 hous shopping here....

7. anupamag

anupamag Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,

My name is Anupama and I am from BLR. I will be moving to Munich on long term with my 8 yr old DD and DH. Can you please let me know about the life in Germany in general - weather, schools(if u have kids), Indian grocery stores, weekend activities, housing etc.

8. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

Hey, im here in Germany if you have any doubts i can give you my mail adress or you send me message via forum. Weather ok, the most important is that it changes very fast, the winters are in the beginning quite cold but you will get used to it. When will you arrive here? They say you can dress like onion, means several layers of cloths so you can put one off if its too hot or upside down. I dont have kids but here it is more common that schools are without lunch-time, so no lunch there for the kids, the other schools where they are until afternoon are not too common and its harder to get into, but try, in munich situation shudnt be so bad i guess. Schools are for free here, and school books they get in school too. Trips, paper, pencils etc. we have to pay ourselfs. Indian grocery stores depend on the city too munich should be some available. Search for everything that says something with asian!!!! They usually always have some indian stuffs they sell too, i have no indian store here in city but get a good variety of things in asian markets. Spice quality is much better in India, and some utensils you cant get here like proper indian pressure cooker, idli maker etc... so bring that if needed. check cosmetics too.... you cant get easily things like amla powder here... weekend activities depend on your taste and the area. There are always swimming pools, playgrounds, cinemas, parks, zoo´s and other options... you can join sport clubs or other groups. there should be an Indians in Munich group as im sure there are some more. As i dont know wether your husband will get a flat from his company i cant say much about housing, but the prices in Munich are very high (i think highest in Germany) but life quality is there highest too approx... the houses/flats here are generally of high standard, so dont worry about that.
    All the best wishes from my side, and if you have any more questions please dont hesitate to contact :) and im sure you will find here enough ladies to mangle with :)

1 person likes this.
  9. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Anju, what souveniers should a travller pick from Germany? Any must-buys that you recommend?

10. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

oohh good question.. you mean things from germany to gift in India right? chocolates are quite common... depending on the area maybe some engraved mugs or glasses.. otherwise i honestly dont know anything typicall