Shopping Baby Items Before Delivery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Angelica28, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Angelica28

Angelica28 Junior IL'ite

I am 24 weeks pregnant. Me and my dh are managing alone with no family members to help yet.
    My mom might come during delivery time. I was wondering when expectant usually start shopping for baby gears/ clothing.
    pls share your experiences

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi.
    You can start preparing list of items needed and which brand to choose. When you find some deal or time, purchase baby gear and keep it ready. If you buy dress, you can wash it once before using and keep it ready for baby. From week 28, you can start planning.

Angelica28 likes this.
  3. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

Do your research and come up with a list of items you would like to buy. I feel 4-8 weeks before delivery is a good time to shop since you are mostly waiting for the delivery and may b your mom can also join once shes herre. Buy few clothes if possible in 0-3 months size as newborn ones are mostly useless unless you guys are on a very petite side. Please don't wash or remove tags from any item as sometimes you don't actually use the item and then you can not return too so avoid washing all baby clothes at once and rather use/wash as you go.

4. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Usually...the staff of the hospital or the nursing home where you're planning your delivery provides you with the list of baby items and new mother's items once third trimester sets in.
    You can ask them for the list or else surf the net for necessary information. You can also ask you mom or some elder ladies from family or friends to help you with the list.
    All the best!!!

5. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

You can check on the baby registry of target ,Walmart etc ( if you are in US) that will give you an idea what all are the things to buy.
    Many items you may get as gifts on baby shower ( if you are planning to )
    Dresses - don't shop much as they grow very fast and the sizes keep changing. But you should wash the clothes before you use it on baby.

6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Newborn diapers
    4-6 newborn outfits (easy to cover and not irritating to belly button- kimono style)
    Burp cloths
    Bobby pillow
    Swaddle blankets - learn to do this, or use premade swaddle blanket. It makes a difference
    Baby caps
    Baby comb
    Coconut oil
    For emergencies- gripe water

Mario123 likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Car seat
    Some type of bassinet or rocking sleeping place for baby

8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

In addition to the above

Baby nail cutter or file.. absolute essential..
    Baby wash soap
    Baby bath tub

Dont over buy other stuff, you can buy as you go, esp with online shopping you can get things easily.

9. mituyadav

mituyadav Platinum IL'ite

For self one would need couple of feeding gowns after delivery , breast pump if you plan to join back work before baby is 1 yr old , nursing cover .
    in addition to above items for baby , you would need diaper rash creame , for cold weather some warm new born clothes , Diaper bag.

10. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Start a baby registry at stores like walmart, target, amazon. You will get valuable coupons. I am not sure about walmart , because sometimes they give and sometimes they wont but they will definitely give a baby welcome kit. If you start one at target, after 2 weeks you will get a welcome kit with various samples from jhonson&jhonson , honest and other branded baby items. It will last atleast a week for the baby and you can compare which brands suits your needs well. Then approx 6-8 weeks before your due date, you will get one 15% off coupon for baby items for yourself and 4 15% off coupons to share with friends&family ( you can use them anyways) . It will be very useful for buying big purchases like stroller, car seat and crib. Amazon also has similar policy. Also look at other stores like babies r us, bed,bath&beyond and enquire about baby registry. This way you can shop the best products.