Shlokas

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Varloo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Om Tat Sat ...Meena:)

Hi Meena...Spiritual flow, you say...hence the above heading for this post:))

I loved reading your post. You have addressed each one of us and looks like you have paid a lot of attention to this thread and are intent on learning the right ways. That in itself is a pooja to the Almighty, atleast in my view!

I am a very late learner too Meena and am still learning. Hence I am amazed at girls like Prathi who seems so well informed at a relatively young age.

Well, now that we have this forum, let us hope we will all learn many valuable slokams and gain spiritual insight.

IL provided us a great venue for 'pet' pooja, now let us look forward to the real pooja:))

2. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

couple of morning prayers

Samudra vasane devi
    parvatha sthana mandithe
    Vishnu pathni namasthubyam
    paada sparsham kshamasvame

O mother earth, who has oceans as her clothes, mountains and forests as her body, who is the wife of the lord vishnu, i bow to you, please forgive me as my feet are touching you!

Kausalya supraja rama
    Poorva sandhya pravarthathey
    Uthishta nara shaardoola
    Kartvayam daiva maahnikam

This shloka was addressed by sage vishwamithra to lord Rama in a forest on the way when he was taking rama to stop the cruel rakhsasas who were disturbing the yagnas performed by saints. He gently woke up Rama reminding him that it was dawn and duties are important.

3. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

on Neiveidhyam.....

Hi Prathi & Meena

On neiveidhyam, the logic goes like this (whatever I have heard)…………there is no “I” ……….nothing is mine in this world…………..whatever I am experiencing in my life is given by GOD……….GOD is the master and everything belongs to him………its like a owner and tenant relationship………..God is the owner and we are just the tenants enjoying his property……….but in real life we do not have enough pakkuvam to think like that………all of us are leading worldly life and we always think we have earned so much money and we have built a house ………in fact its gods wish that we have a house……but we are giving him just a room or space in the house like a guest….so just as a remembrance of gods grace we do neiveidhyam….offering him first, thanking him for all he has given…….this need not just be puja neiveidhyam………..even if we buy fruits we can just offer it God first and then eat it……..if we buy any new article we place it before god…apply kumkum on it and then use it…….

1 person likes this.
  4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

thanks for offering help

Dear Prathi, kamla & AGR,

thank you all.
    I used to think neivedhyam is something to do with offering just ghee since it starts with the word, nei (tamil meaning ghee).

Prathi - thanks for explaining the process involved in offering; now you mentioned about new clothes here - is that the reason why people wet new clothes at corners b4 wearing it; even touch it with kumkum sometimes.

AGR - tht was a beautiful explanation that you gave on neivedhyam.
    thank you & nice to know you.

Kamla - I enjoyed reading your post tooo. nice to know you. I think its never too late to learn so here I am trying to be among you - sure we all would get enlightened by just joining this flow....

Today alone, I've learnt so much about pujas and I feel so happy that I've joined you all.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaya,Meena,Keerthi,

Jaya- the slokam 'himavat---' (to be chanted by pregnant women) is chanted to propriate a gracious Yakshini who lives by the side of Himalays and guards pregnant women.

Meena, the Navanaga slokam can be chanted at all times and by pregnant women.

The slokam is called Navanaga stotram and is addressed to the nine divine serpents who bear the earth and protect us and our progeny.

Keerthi- nice Lakshmi slokam and I read it first thing this morning.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaya (NAga Raja Stotram)

Nagaraja Namasthesthu
    Haraharayitha Dehine
    Hara Me Sakalan Rogan
    Dada Me Sath Prajam Drisam

MEANING Salutations to Sri Nagaraja, who adorns Sri Siva's Body, please destroy all illness in me and bless me with good progeny.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

more daily slokas

Hai,
    here are some slokas for daily chanting.
    When taking bath:

GANGECHA YAMUNE CHAIVA GODHAVARI SARASWATHI
    NARMADE SINDHU KAVERI JALESMIN SANNIDHAM KURU
    Here by we are requesting all the holy rivers to be present in the water which we are about to take bath in.

Just before taking food, take a handful and say this prayer:
    ANNAPOORNE SADAPOORNE SANKARAPRANA VALLBHE
    GYANAVAIRAGYA SIDDHIARTHAM BHIKSHAM DEHICHA PARVATHI
    Annapoorni is always Poorna, that is COMPLETE.
    We are asking Annapoorni to (give us in alms) bless us with good wisdom.
    varloo

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  8. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Vidya....................

Thank you very much for giving me the nagaraja sloka.

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Friends !

Dear Friends,
    Since all of you are posting many general shlokams, If you want less common shlokas, I can post them on request.

I remember Somebody asking for a shlokam to be chanted for a girl to get married. Chant the following 108 times everyday.

Kaathyaayani mahaamaayae mahaayogin yatheeswari
    Nandagopasutham devi pathim mae kuruthae namah

காத்யாயனி மஹாமாயே மஹாயோகின் யதீச்(H)வரி
    நந்த(3)கோ(3)பஸுதம் தே(3)வி பதிம் மே குருதே நம:

This is to ward off evil - light a piece of camphor in a betel leaf or a small plate. Keep it in a plate of arathi ( water mixed with chunnam-lime & turmeric or if lime is not available, use kumkum). Make the child or person(s) sit facing east or west. You stand in front holding this, make 3 clockwise circular motions first, then 3 anticlockwise circular motions next, then upward & downward 3 times, chanting the following shloka:

Subrahmanyascha saenaani guha skandascha vaamanah
    Mahaasaeno dvaadas(h)aaksha vis(h)vabuk ambikaa suthah
    bhoothes(h)a paavakee s(h)reemaan vis(h)aaka s(h)ikivaahanah
    kaankaeyacha gajaaroodaa s(h)athruhanthaa s(h)daaksharaa

ஸுப்(3)ரஹ்மண்யச்(H)ச ஸேனானி கு(3)ஹ ஸ்கந்த(3)ச்(H)ச வாமன:
    மஹாஸேனோ த்(3)வாத்(3)சா(H)ச்(H)ச விச்(H)வபு(3)க் அம்பிகாஸுத:
    பூ(4)தேச(H) பாவகீ ஸ்ரீமான் விசா(H)க சி(H)கிவாஹன:
    காங்கேயச க(3)ஜாரூட:(4) ச(H)த்ரு ஹந்தா ச(H)டா(3)க்ஷரா

Nobody should utter a word, but be quiet. After this take the water & pour it outside the house on the road. Those who live abroad should be able to make their own adjustments !

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
    3 people like this.
  10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

uncommon slokas

Dear Mrs Chithra,

Thanks for these two slokams. It will be nice to get the uncommon ones from you.
    In the past, Mangayar Malar used to print small rare slokams. I had some, but have lost touch these last ten years.

Can you give some slokam for general amicability and affection in the family? By family, I mean the big, extended family (not just husband and wife).

Pls take yr time.

warm regards
    Vidya