1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shivaratri - A Journey

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SunPa, Feb 24, 2017.

1. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Good morning ladies,

Anyone planning on varatham/vrat?

I am not a religion person.During college days, some of us friends stayed up all night doing fun stuff and in the morning we slept. No praying was involved. And then I remember my determined grandma staying up all night by herself and the next day too - in a foreign place.

My DH on the other hand is quite religious. We usually go to the temple late around 10 pm and come home by mid night. For some reason , I want to do it this year. Perhaps because it is Friday , so I can sleep it out on Sat/Sunday. Perhaps I am nostalgic. Perhaps i want to check my determination . Somehow this seems important to me to do.
    DH and DD are shocked, why, what has come over you ? they ask. My mum is like Dont be silly . A close friend has her wedding anniversary, another is recovering, so I cant disturb them. And they tell me it is not easy.

I do see some practical problems. After my gastric issues 5-6 yrs ago, I havent fasted. I am a night owl, but these 2-3 years very late nights makes me very tired the next day. Last year I took a 2 am flight a 4 hr journey, it took me 3 days to over come what seemed like jet lag. Since Monday, I have been sleeping past 12 am and had less than 6hrs sleep each day. My left brain is telling me you will pay for this.

But something in me wants to stay up tonite. Perhaps I have more of my grandma in me than I realise.

So ILites, those who are staying up , do drop in this thread to share your days.
    And even those who arent , do drop by to encourage me, with the time diff ( 12-16 hrs ahead of US), your morning should be my night.

Get me thru this madness, will you all please?:grinning:

dc24 and Modak like this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

First of all wish you a very happy Shivarathri. It is good that you intend to begin your fast.staying up with this shivrathri. Although Im a senior citizen and observing shivrathri for some years now, maybe a decade or so, I do not go full lengh. As i have also been having gastric issues, i restrict my fasting to not having cooked rice on this day. I take light tiffin of wheat items like dahlia upma or wheat dosai morning and night. Staying up also i usually go to sleep by midnight after attending the evening pujas etc at the temples at the most.
    As this is the first time you are planning to begin, you can take it one step at a time. Fast to the extent u are comfortable with. Same with staying up at night . You can increase the duration over the years, as from practice, once you begin in sincerity, automatically you will not feel to discontinue it in later years unless there are major health issues etc. Best wishes:)

SunPa likes this.
  3. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Happy Shivaratri to @SunPa and @joylokhi maa and all ILites.
    I'm fasting today but do not stay awake whole night.
    We offer water...bilva leaves..milk..curd..honey etc to Lord Shivalinga and chant His mantras n prayers during morning time. In the evening...lighting diyas and prayers/mantras.
    Food is strictly fruits n milk only. That's how the festival is generally celebrated in North India.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    SunPa and joylokhi like this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Thanks you so much.
    You are te right, I will take it slow. See how tired/exhausted i feel and sleep. Fasting so far mainly eating fruits and a glass of milk. If I feel vey light headed i will eat something more.

5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

T
    Thank you @dc24
    I think the fast I can manage, only 12 more hours to go. But sleep i am not sure. I will probably go temple and stay till the mid night pooja and come home. There will be so much prasad in the temple, that is going to test my resolve :)

dc24 likes this.
  6. srilaxmi

srilaxmi Silver IL'ite

HAPPY SIVARATRI,

Iam too fasting today as dc24 said we do abhiskem in the morning n in the evening we to temple have darshan n come home n leave upavas by eating Kajour.

my Inlaws will be having khicidhi which is prepared by sabhudhani they add carrots, potato fried in ghee and added sidhavalavanam (instead of salt) they dont add mirchi n all. they roast groundnuts and make them powder will be added to khichidi.

Try this dear with fruits n the whole night is spent by watching movies of Lord shiva, n playing bhookailas.

SunPa, dc24 and joylokhi like this.
  7. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

I just had banana. With 2 kids who's exams are approaching...complete fasting has become a thing of past for me:)
    Planning to recite Rudrashtakam in the evening along with few mala of Om Namah Shivay:)
    Just want to share that prayers to Lord Shiva never go unanswered. I have personally seen that. Rudrashtakam immensely please Him and what's a greater day than today to recite one.

SunPa likes this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot srilaxmi.
    Luckily i managed till now, no noticeable gastric problem. It is 3.30 am now, I think another 3 hours, I can make it.

dc24 likes this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@dc24, tough with 2 kids who nned your attention. My older one is accompaning me on staying up all night. The younger is fast asleep at home. I decided to spend tbe night at the temple. Between tbe poojas i listen to sivapuranam, and chants.

The challenge will be staying up tomorrow till evening.

dc24 likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

For the past 15 years( After 60) myself and husband are fasting ( nirjal)without solids/fluids on Shivarathri and Vaikunta Ekadasi days only.There are other days called fasting-but we take food once and kanji during nights.Bananas don't suit us.So far no gastric problem.
    jayasala42

SunPa and joylokhi like this.