shipping from USA --- INDIA

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by pranavi, Jan 31, 2010.

1. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

how much does it cost to ship from usa to india,(i know it depends upon container size)but i want an estimate figure.

also we wud be settling in hyderabad,as there is no port there am wondering whether it is economical for us ,as we have to again transport from chennai

how much wud it cost for 1 bedroom furniture for eg?

our furniture is second hand furniture so i want to decide whether it is worth to ship from here or sell things here and again buy in india.

i have lot of kitchen stuff too like 2 cookers , non stick ware , toaster oven , sandwich maker.steel utensils,which i used only for 3 years and they are in great shape what should i do with them,any advice plz is it best to sell here or ship along with furniture

thank you in advance

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pranavi,

I've heard from some of the friends who recently moved to India, that it is best to dispose things as much possible here in the US and go buy new stuff in India.

Moreover, you mentioned your furnitures mostly are second hand, then why bother to pay shipping and move them? Start your new life in India with new stuff :)

Unless you have some stuff like IMac, Plasma / LCD TV, Digital photoframes, latest MW / Toaster ovens, etc. and also after making sure they will work in India for AC supply we get there, it makes not much sense to transport them. JMO :)

Malathy

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

pranavi,

I agree with Malathy. if your furniture is not first hand, then you can always sell it there itself. today you get all types of furnitures and all range in india.

But i saw that you are returning back with a offer in the other thread, and if your company is willing to foot the relocation charges, you can go ahead and ship them.

do ask for a quote from a company. these days there are lot of people returning back. if you are not having a full load, you can always share the container with somebody who is willing.

all the best.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pranavi,
    I did ship furniture from the US to India. We did go to four/five shippers to get quotes and went with a reasonable shipper with good references. Are you going to pack yourself? If so, then the charges are going to different from packing and shipping. I used packers and shippers. They even unpacked and assembled furniture here. Btw, I did avail of this because we got relocation assistance from DH's employer and my furniture still looked good. I didn't want to spend too much on my initial setup and I was already spending on interiors etc. If things were different, I would have dumped my furniture and bought everything new here. It would have been a little more expensive than the packing/shipping costs for similar stuff but I would have SAVED a lot of time, energy and effort. The packing/shipping/upacking cost(home to home) - we didn't have ports in both locations came close to $6.5k. Large ticket items we shipped - one br, dining, leather couches, some odds and ends etc. In addition to this we had about 20 boxes as well. HTH
    @Added - This was two yrs back.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    shyamala1234 and Nettem like this.
  5. paurnima

paurnima New IL'ite

Hi,
    Even I am thinking of shipping option to Pune. I have a sharing partner available to me. I don't have much furniture to ship but I got musical instruments keyboard, guitar and drums. I love them and it would be hard for me to leave these things over here.

Also if space permits I am planning to buy new furniture like sofa. I want to know about custom duty in India.Also do we need to be present over there on port while clearing the custom? Also I am shipping things by my own expenses. So is there any other solution available which is cost effective?

Anyone please help.

6. priyankagulati2

priyankagulati2 New IL'ite

USA 2 india is around 70 $ from UPS but india to US is pretty cheap

7. sandrass

sandrass New IL'ite

how much it cost to ship a 20ft container from india to us??

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

If the company pays for relocation you can go ahead with shipping. If not sell them and buy new stuff in India.
    Syamala