1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shingles In Older People

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

My Dad has shingles, I'm freaked out.

Few days ago he complained of lower back pain that suddenly appeared.

Yesterday night he showed me small, red, pus-filled pimples on the side of his lower back. I suggested make appointment with his doctor the following morning.

My Dad says this looks like shingles (which he had nearly 30 years ago after sitting in 3rd class train in India)

Sure enough, it is shingles.

Luckily it is in early stages. We got the pharmacy to bring Dad's course of medication within the hour.

He has to take med 5 times within 24-hour span, and then see Dr for followup in few days.

I'm kinda freaked out.

My Dad is clean, and meticulous. He follows diet of fruits, veggies, things high in anti-oxidants.

Doctor says it is not contagious so how did he get it. Plus, Dad does not want me to touch him (usually, I pat his arm or leg sympathetically to say, "Get Well"), because what if there is remote chance it is contagious.

How to help my Dad. Is it possible that shingles caused his nerve pain from 6 weeks ago (i.e. numb arm, pain and swollen to the touch, and nearly lifeless hand)

Plus the Doctor is saying I need to take 1 month vacation away. When family members need help (who would help you if the shoe were on the other foot), you don't cut and run. To rest and relax, I paint. And if I'm not too tense, I do computer programming.

Just having all these emotions coming through me right now. I hope Dad's health improves and lives a long, fruitful, healthy life.

Similar Threads
    1. lmani
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. lmani
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. sunchiajju
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Padmasudha

Padmasudha Bronze IL'ite

(Warning, I am not a physician, and this is NOT medical advice. Talk to your doctor for such advice)

Shingles in older people is the recurrence of the chicken pox virus picked up earlier. If a person has chicken pox once (even as a child), the virus stays in the body and can recur as shingles later on- think of it as chicken pox second time round. This is not uncommon in the elderly. It is NOT a new disease picked up through contact. However, others coming in contact with them when the shingles has recurred, can pick up chicken pox if they have not had it before. This is why it is not a good idea to touch them if you havent had chicken pox, particularly young children.

You can help the patient by wearing gloves whenever you need to touch them, cleaning your hands well after that. Just reassuring you, it is nothing to do with bad hygiene.

BTW shingles affects the nerve ends as the virus travels along the nerve sheaths, so is very painful. The pain can recur even after the lesions wear off. The stomach, chest and back (trunk) are typical places where it occurs.

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I had got it 3 years back .
    It’s damn painful , I had got on my face and hairline. Even the air from fan used to make it painful. Initially I thought it was due to some cosmetics later all of a sudden blisters appeared. I was on antibiotics for more than a week. Doc had given some ointment too. They say if you use neem water to the affected area it speeds up the recovery . I just tried for 2 days and left.

It takes almost 3-6 months for complete recovery !

And I had got chicken pox too during my childhood. Both are due to the same virus , once you get chicken pox the virus remains within your body . And for some it can come back after 20 years .

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

Oh my goodness! My Dad is in so much pain WITHOUT the shingles!

I really feel bad I cannot give my Dad a hug. Human touch is the most kindest thing to do for someone. Esp when having so many health issues.

At most my Dad can kiss my forehead.

Thank you for this guidance.

shravs3 likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

Oh my goodness I am sorry to hear about this. (that's one of reasons I want to avoid makeup!)

3 to 6 months! Oh my!

Yesterday I tried making Colonoscopy appointment for my Dad ... when the GI Dr office found he had shingles they said fix the shingles, then make appt.

How did you cope with shingles? Did you have support? That sounds really scary!

You said you tried neem water for two days and left? Do you mean the blisters went away?

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

No don’t worry it’s definitely not due to makeup products .

I applied leave for whole week . My parents took complete care.
    Actually neem water thing was coincidence. I thought it’s some kind of pimples and had bath with water boiled with neem leaves which was suggested by a friend . But it dint reduce so went to a dermatologist , that is when I got to know that it is Shingles. Doctor said that good you tried neem leaves remedy tat could also be the reason for controlling from spreading to other part of the face.

They say even immunity could be the reason for shingles .Few years back my immunity was way too low. Something or the other I was suffering from.

Here is the link for some home remedies which you can try along with doctors prescription .
    It may or may not work to some.
    But I definitely suggest you with neem leaves remedy , may be you can ask the doctor if it can be used.
    10 Natural Remedies To Treat Shingles At Home

GeetaKashyap and ChennaiExpress like this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

I'm glad your parents took care of you.

Something like this is scary to battle alone.

And on your pretty face too!

Thank you for the links. I am still trying to calm myself down about Dad's shingles.

I think we got it early enough. Even Dr said we caught it at early stages. She then showed us a picture on WebMD of how it looks full-blown (really scary).

Yesterday I set Dad's phone alarm for 5 times throughout 24 hour period. As it is, he doesn't get proper sleep, now his sleep is more disturbed because he knows he has to get up and take the medication.

I hope he's gonna be ok.

shravs3 likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Don’t worry it’s gonna definitely reduce. Only the first week is very painful. Slowly may be in a month the pain reduces ,but it is intermittent which is far better than the first week. Normally complete recovery can take up to few months which solely depends on individuals .

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  9. ChennaiExpress

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Person with shingles needs all the support in the Universe!

shravs3 likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Shingles - Symptoms and causes
    Shingles is caused by the varicella zoster virus which is also responsible for chickenpox. If you have not had chickenpox or the vaccine previously you could be at risk through contact.

ChennaiExpress likes this.