1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Shifting to Shelton,CT ... Need help Indians

Discussion in 'Indians in Connecticut' started by kauchy, Mar 24, 2012.

1. kauchy

kauchy New IL'ite

Hi All,

My husband is about to travel to Shelton , Connecticut in a week. Looking for apartments in or around Shelton,CT with reasonable rent

1) Will there be many Indians living there ?
    2) Is it safe to settle life in Shelton , CT or any other places near Shelton ,CT
    3) Is Bridgeport ,CT good place for accommodations , Indian stores etc ?

Do kindly give me your replies friends

Thanks in advance

2. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Welcome to CT.I live in Milford .
    I heard,in Bridgeport the crime rates are high.
    So please be careful about that place.

Good luck for your move.

3. kauchy

kauchy New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply . Could you please let me know where i have to look for accommodation in/around Shelton CT

4. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

I am sorry I have no idea about Shelton.But here in Milford I know an apartment called Robert Treat has a good amount of our desi people.

5. kauchy

kauchy New IL'ite

Thanks for reply

Any idea how much approx is rent for 1bedroom apartment
    Also is there near by Indian store ?

6. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Hi Kauchy ,
    First of All , welcome to Shelton :)

Shelton is a very small , quiet and one of the safe town in CT . I live in shelton for the past two years. It's more like village when compared to NJ. In my initial days i hardly see indians in shelton . But now , i guess there are many indians settling here. For all the indian groceries u hav to go to Milford / Orange only. You have all the stores , walmart , BJ's , shop rite , stop n shop , dollar stores in shelton. Milford is just 20 mins drive. So , We'll sort of go every alternate week to indian store and back up the groceries. Compared to Shelton , Bridgeport is more unsafe i heard because of its crime rate.
    Here you have more of town houses type of community. 1 BH apartments you can find from 850 $ onwards. I know many indians living in town houses only. Which street is his office ? i can suggest some places based on that.

You want to know more about shelton ... come on ... shoot me... i'll surely help you ...
    Once again welcome to SHELTON.....

7. shunlaksh

shunlaksh New IL'ite

Hi,
    I live in hamden... Planning to move to shelton since my hubby's office is located there.. My kid is 2 and a half yrs old.. How abt play schools over ther.. Friends, pls share info if any

8. pari419

pari419 Junior IL'ite

Hi Priya,

We are planning to move to Shelton,CT from NJ. My husband's workplace is in Shelton only so we would like to live in shelton/stratford area only. We have been looking for apartment in this area but I don't see many apartment complex- so don't have many choice here looks like. Have seen many ads for town homes here for renting though.

Is it a safe place to live? I am going to be alone with my 1 year old son all day. We lived in a part of NJ where I had lots of indian around. Shelton seems to be very quiet with very few Indians around. Of course it is going to be a different experience than NJ for sure & I understand that. Is it safe to live in the town home here?

I have always lived in apartments with washer/dryer in unit but here that seems difficult. The ones with washer/dryer & all amenities are very expensive- so we are planning to rent a town home. We have never lived in rental home in all these years in US so that thing also I need to search about. I have to live alone all day with my kid, honestly- I feel scared of this very very quiet surrounding. :)well, that's me.

I would really appreciate your help here Priya, & other ladies as well if anyone has more inputs.

Thanks in advance,
    Pari