Shifting from India/any countries to Singapore? Packing Tips..

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by siddharth, Jun 30, 2008.

1. siddharth

siddharth New IL'ite

Things to Bring from India

Hi All,

Iam moving from India to S'pore in another 2 weeks for a long term position...

We have doubts on what to bring and what not to bring...my main doubt is whether i need to bring Wet Grinder from India since we live on IDLIS and DOSAS...alternatively is a grinder available in Little India(Spore)at a reasonable rate?Kindly advice me.

I had a big mental block in moving to singapore all along...cost of rental is high and things like that but my friends said that it is the best country to live for indians outside india...

I have traveled to 10 countries and have a lot of experience of foreign nations but all my stay have been brief ones of up to a few months...

S'pore iam looking to make it my 2nd home and put both my kids in schools when time comes too...

Is there a way to find a house(for 4 members -me, wife and 2 children)near Tampines for a 1500 sing dollar rent?iam not very aware of the rentals there...

Please guide me in whatever capacity you could.

Have a great day.

Regds,
    Sidd

2. ranivasan

ranivasan Senior IL'ite

Re: Things to Bring from India

Hi Sidu,
    Welcome to Lion city! Indeed singapore is great place to be apart from home sweet home. You can get wetgrinder,cooker and basic cooking things like ladals,chapathi belan etc Some vessels like kadai etc which will make cooking easier. Sure rent has gone up but am sure u find some thing for your budget. Why r u specific bout tampines? You could explore other areas too. Indian groceries u everthing from a to z. I am sure it should be breeze for u. I saw your message quite late now. Will write in detail tomorrow and if u have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact me.
    Cheers!

3. siddharth

siddharth New IL'ite

Hi Ranivasan(Is that your name?),

Thanks for the crisp and encouraging reply...your words on easily finding a house and settling in s'pore is very soothing really.

Actually my work place is in Tampines and i was guessing that it would be best to find a house near Tampines.

Otherwise iam not specific of the tampines area...i was also curious to know the distance between tampines and little india...and if this distance is short i would prefer staying near little india since there are some good temples and an indian like lifestyle in that area(as i heard).

I wish you good luck in whatever you are doing.

Regds,
    Sidd

4. Rajilakshmanan

Rajilakshmanan Senior IL'ite

Hi sidd

Welcome to Singapore.

You name it you get here. Everything you can get here.

As your work place is in tampines, you can look for houses at Pasiris, simie, but the distance is not a problem here because Singapore is connected with the best MRT train service & it is gift for all working people.So donot worry about the distance as Singapore has got the best public transport in the world.

Rent >At present the rental market is very high when compared to previous years.

Wish you all the best

regards
    Raji:cheers

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  5. shujaatha

shujaatha New IL'ite

Hi Sidd,

Please bring Poni rice to cook great demand in Singapore.Now we switched to Thai rice(Kerala Rice). Hard for children to adjust. We are in Tampines.No problem with housing. Buy now the house rent has reached the peek. Then Some vessels to cook. Like Bindi stickers one - $1, Hair clips. If u are working best buy raymond pants only. Children dress till u go India. Tampines is a nice place for children to enjoy due to good surroundings and view. More Primary and few secondary schools.Bring blender and grinder. Nothing more.
    Welcome to Singi,
    Fixing house is not a problem.
    Bye,
    Suja

6. siddharth

siddharth New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Iam indebted to you all for the pertinent replies given for my query on "Things to Bring from India" earlier...

Iam gearing up for relocating to S'pore by 25th July and presently making a list of things that could be bought in S'pore itself....

I want to know the prices of the following(this will help me decide whether i need to buy it and bring from India or buy it in S'pore if cost is reasonable).

1. WET GRINDER - PRICE?

2. MIXER - PRICE?

3. OTHER ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO BUY IF I TAKE A FURNISHED HOUSE WHICH IS THE NORMAL CASE IN SINGAPORE...

Please guide me...thank you and all the best.

Regds,
    Sidd

7. umarao02

umarao02 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sidd,

Welcome to Singapore,and wish u a very good and happy stay here.

Well Tampines is a very good area to stay.It has almost everything there and there are lots of Indians staying there too. There is a huge mall and lots of wet markets to get fresh veggies.Ofcourse ,u can order all ur Indian groceries from the wholesale shops who will deliver it a a minimal charge.

U definitely need to buy a grinder and a mixie in India itself as it is quite expensive here .

The rent is quite high now so better go in for a HDB ie govt houses as this may fit into ur budget.

Singapore is a good place to stay as the public transport is also very good.So no need to worry about being far from Little India....etc

cheers,

Uma

8. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Re: Cost Of Critical Items To Buy In S'pore

Hi Sidd,

welcome to s'pore.

as u hav asked abt the cost of mixer n grinder ,i can throw some light on the cost of mixer here in mustaffa as today itself i purchased one philips mixer to gift for my friend who's newly settled here.
    it costed 28s$.it cmes with 2 jars one for dry n the other for wet grinding.
    its best to get some vessels to cook n some daily essential vessels frm india.
    hope u enjoy ur stay in il n in s'pore

bye
    raji

9. lalithanivas

lalithanivas Gold IL'ite

what should i bring wid me.......

what all the things I need to bring with me while coming to singapore?

10. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Re: what should i bring wid me.......

Hi lalithanivas,

Welcome IL. The question of yours has been vividly discussed in a different forum.
    Kindly, look in to the various threads in the Indians in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Singapore</st1:country-region></st1:place> forum. You will have a clear picture of the place, people, schools, housing, living, etc.

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008