1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"she Just Sits With Baby"....?!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by MindVoice, Oct 19, 2016.

1. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Venting.

Parents met in-laws, common family function. They decided to eat out together. And among other conversations, my sweet, nice, loving in-laws 'gently' tell my parents that I am not doing any work, and am just sitting with the baby all the time...
    Whereas they had no help during their times from their husbands but managed everything all alone, by themselves.
    And also said they saw mom, and how she took care of her career as well as family and did everything with panache, and thought I would also be like that.
    (Talk about diplomacy!)
    And how their son is so good, he helps out soooo much, yet...
    And that I have not 'trained' my child well that I am not able to do the housework with her.

And to add to the injury, my dear father nodded his head, saying that he was also advising me to do all the stuff at home. Despite my mom trying to gently point out that she didn't have to do it all, and that she had help (nevertheless it was demanding on her, and unfair as well)

Yes, I have issues with juggling housework and babycare. To the extent that it has stressed me out of proportion. We have difficulties with baby sleep, have NOT sleep trained thanks to my husband's relucance, and my baby loves being active - will not sit in her highchair/walker even with toys. Only way she'd do that is if I put on the tv, and I won't do that to my baby : I do already show her rhymes etc everyday for some 30 min just to get to eat lunch myself. Most days, I sacrifice that as well, to clean up. And this only after there was absolutely no other go.

Yes, its far from desirable, but I want solutions, not judgement.
    Neither my parents nor in-laws have been able to give a solution for the situation...other than "training" the baby (without crying acc to DH and with TV or whatever it takes acc to all of them). How? Nothing there.

Baby sleeps well ---> everything goes well as per housework at home.
    I have even sacrificed my sleep for just 5 hours if lucky, (with interruptions at night) for far too many days to count, just to cook for Dh etc.
    And this.

Yes, DH. helps.
    By feeding baby, and playing with baby while I cook and clear up on evenings and weekends. But I have to give everything to him and clear up after him - else that will stay on that table until I do, more often than not. (We are working on it now, there is improvement, though not solved)
    He does the grocery - because he wont allow me to go out with baby, saying its bad for baby to go these congested places (!)
    Does his own laundry.
    I am not saying he doesn't participate, but it surely is not to the extent of really helping ME : more than a year after baby is born, I still don't have a life - and that's because of him. But I haven't gone to town complaining about that, rather take it as my issues to work on.

I mean, I can't digest the implication that he's gold and great, and I'm some clueless female who cant even get the basics right.

There! I'm done venting.
    I am feeling so defensive. I am not lazy, I do give priority to my baby. And I'm not incapable.

drdiva likes this.

2. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

I know how it feels when your own parents do not stand up for you. Been there myself.

I can't give baby-specific solutions, but some tips to deal with inlaws and husband.

1) YOu cannot satisfy everyone. PERIOD. If your husband does not want to sleep train your baby, try convincing him ONCE! Read up on the internet pros and cons and paint a picture as to how it will be beneficial for the baby, you, him and everyone involved. If he doesn't listen, go do your thing anyway. Sleep train your child.

2) For your inlaws, tell them (if they raise the topic) every kid is different and I would rather spend some time enjoying with my child when she is young rather than doing household work.

3) If point #2 means that your MIL is burdened with the household work, then appoint a maid or a cook or whoever.

4) Finally, for your sanity and to improve your condition - Sit for a few minutes and analyse how time goes. See if there are chunks of even 10 - 15 minutes that you can use productively. Sometimes, we just glide through our days with no regard to what we are doing. Getting a grip on where your time is spent will help you eliminate any unproductive activities

sbonigala and guesshoo like this.
  3. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Thank you @soulful
    Yes. I realise this but I don't know why this upset me badly.
    Its not as if they are going to praise me when I'm actually handling things well..
    I resent the idea that they went complaining about me to my parents (which feels kind of like speaking being one's back). If they were really so concerned, why not just try talking to me nonjudgmentally, giving suggestions etc rather than passing criticism?
    My DH - their son - is far from perfect yet my parents don't come complaining to them the very first chance they meet!
    I realise that they just want life easy for their son, and so are saying these stuff.
    It is not real concern for me.
    I know, yet I bristle.:mad:
    Ahhh that's a sore spot. So many including here have adviced the same. But this is also twisted into me wanting to let my child cry aka bad mommy for my own purposes/inefficiency.
    We are abroad, and my MIL doesn't even live with us. Can't afford a cook here - or maybe they feel its my job, anyway since I've nothing else to do either.

I've been looking at my time... but its a work in progress..hmmm

I don't really want to explain or justify to them, but I can't have them talking like this about me. They have no understanding of what I'm facing/going through, and have older notions of wife's job.
    Can't explain all this to others grrrrrrr.

Unfortunately, DH also holds their perspective, though he tries to act as if he understands - but just pats himself on his back for being so nice and understanding while he actually resents it. :BangHead:

4. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

If you are nt staying with in laws, why are you updating everything to your in laws. If they ask about the kid. say everything is going fine, I am managing. Yeah its wrong for them to tell like this. when they repeat the same say that every goes through , but they forget when they become old. Actually this is true.

Actually kids till they turn 3 or 4 years it will be difficult for moms. It will be like coma stage. Not only you everyone goes through this.

Are you working? If not, take kid outside to play, so he will be tired, give him a bath , feed him, he will immediately goes to sleep. If not put try to co-sleep, tell the stories. Doing so you will get rest. Cooking keep it minimum for few more days.
    In abroad you will have all the facilities like Dish washer, Vaccum cleaner, and dust will also be less(every day undust and brooming is not required). So i feel it is easy to maintain. May be I am wrong here.

KashmirFlower and MindVoice like this.
  5. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

@MindVoice

You are not living with your Ils? That makes it much easier.
    1) Do not tell them everything!

2) And why do you care if you are labelled "bad mother lets her kid cry". DO you need someone else's certificate? Aren't you convinced that you are a good mother? That is all that matters. Contact your pediatrician and get his help to sleep train your child. Perhaps there are better ways to get your child to sleep, other than letting her cry. Better yet, get him to talk to your H about the benefits.

3) Cook every 2-3 days for you and your H and freeze. For your kid, cook fresh. It reduces your work.

4) You resent them going behind your back, I get it.. BUT can you help it? NO! Then why bother? Remember the Serenity Prayer and make that your mantra.

5) You seriously need to ignore what your inlaws think, what your H pretends and what he really thinks etc.... You are wasting way too much time, energy and mindspace for such trivial things. Do the best you can.

P.S. Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference

6. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Thanks @MNR, yeah what you say is true!! No, am not working, so can try what you've said. Housework is easier here, true, but problem is having to handle it all including the baby singlehandedly. And since I give priority to the baby - and DH too, though he feels bad when home stuff is also not taken care of - sometimes I am not able to do the housework. And it makes me feel bad because I think other women in my situation manage well.

@soulful good suggestions, I don't tell stuff to in-laws, DH does. Momma's boy :-( He doesn't say specifically, but they get to know how things are, as he skypes with them almost an hour every evening and speaks to them from work too. So if he's having a late dinner, or not taken lunch from home, the inference is drawn. No direct blaming I suppose, but the message is conveyed.
    Both of you are right, I must not bother about them.. but I find it very challenging to distract myself from them.Esp. DH. Trying... maybe some part of it is due to the fact that I am at home all day? hmmmm.

sindmani and MNR like this.
  7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Don't think like that. To be honest, my DH insisted on doing the cry out method. When I look back now, without his support I would have clingy DS. My DS is 13-month-old and he is sleep trained from almost as early as 2 months. I understand your DH will not support you on this matter. You be confident and take it in your hands and just do it. trust me it makes things way easier.
    As, I have sleep trained my DS- in the current scenario he cries maybe for 2 min maximum. He might not fall asleep the next min he stops crying. He is awake, standing in the crib, that's ok. He doesn't cry. He will fall asleep when he is sleepy.

Recently after finishing up a skype talk with my mom.. I laid my DS in the crib.. his cry made my mom cringe and she started this rant about how wrong I am in doing this cry out method. I was super pissed and gave her earful.

The whole point is my mother also went through the same struggles as I am when she was raising me and my sibling. However, when it comes to pointing out mistakes or suggestion she outrightly tells me where I can do things better or how my method is not right. If it comes from IL's I will be super pissed.

Other tips to manage- have baby gates in the house- so you can restrict your child's access to rooms.
    Childproof the house- all rough edges of table ends, electric outlets, cupboards can be locked.
    Have toys and a mat- make a space for your child to play with toys in that area.
    Have your menu planned ahead- This is a savior for me. I didn't have to think what I should do for dinner, breakfast, lunch at the last min. I can have things prepped the previous night. My DH and I spend time together and plan out what to cook and shop only that specific items on a weekend.
    Have a day schedule- This again gives me time to do everything I need to do. I start to prepare for dinner right around 9 am. This schedule includes my exercise, and one chore ( carpets to be washed/ bathroom to be cleaned)
    My DH has to have meat at dinner- so the thawing starts as early as 11am and the dinner will be done by 3 pm. I am cooking 3 separate meals, coz I dont do meat and my DS meals are separate.
    Have a schedule for your baby too- Dont feed/ sleep on demand.

My house is spick and span at least in the living room and guest bath- we can entertain anyone without no notice. At the most--During the day of the week- you might catch the clothes in the laundry basket to be put away.

Apart from that. I get to do everything.Even study when my DS takes a nap. Sleep training is the Key. Do it. Dont think you are a bad mother.. you and your child need that individual space.