1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sharing India vacation plans with family in India

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

I'd like to get some opinions on this:

We go to India about once in two years with our kids. Vacation days are split into time in his city, my city and a few days of a small out-of-town vacation within India. Sometimes our parents or a sibling with family used to come along for the small vacation. They do the hotel and air tickets and other bookings. We pay them our share before or later.

Now, with nieces and nephews growing older, they have exams and important things going on in school, and we also like to spend some time in India just us and kids, so we go on this small vacation by ourselves. Here's the thing - if it is just us going on the small-vacation in India, I would like us to take care of the arrangements ourselves, either online, by phone or using a good travel agent in India. If we do the whole research and planning and decide the hotels and airlines, and then request siblings to do the booking - they have so many comments and suggestions.

Since we plan India trips at least 4-5 months in advance, our small vacation is discussed in each call. Siblings tell every aunt, uncle and cousin in India about our dates and plans.

I told hubby that we should keep our small-vacation plans private for as long as possible. I don't tell my family any specifics other than what dates we will be in my city. Hubby says it is rude. I say it is not rude - we can tell his family that we will be in his city from this date to this date, then taking a small-vacation and from there going to my city. Why do they need to know where we are going, how many days and which hotel, and how much we are spending! I think a few weeks before the trip or once we are in India we can share where we are going and some more details, but no need to inform them the minute we make bookings.

Hubby thinks we should tell them once the plans are made, even if it is months ahead, and we should take their help in making the bookings instead of going through a travel agent.

Am I being too picky? Or are my wishes reasonable?

Thanks!

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Have a wonderful vacation. I agree with you. You do a mall vacation by yourself. But keeping it away form our family is hard. Our community is different and they give us advice even we don't need it, but they also help us a lot when we are in trouble. They do discuss our plan with others in India which we may not like it. Let me tell you something. Even you don't tel them, they will find out. If I were you, I will tell them the day before we go to the small vacation.
    It will be helpful when we take kids with us. In emergency, we can get help from them.

Enjoy the vacation.

3. puspita

puspita Silver IL'ite

Dear OP
    In my view you are right...I am also like u but hubby tells everyone about the plan before time.:bonk
    And there are some people who love to give FREE ADVICE, which I dont like at all....:rant
    I am in the process to change this nature of my dh...:hide: