Share your pet's diet routine here!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by iswaryadevi, Aug 2, 2013.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

I am a relatively new owner of my pet GSD 'Chico'. He is 4.5 months old now. From the beginning, the one thing that confuses me a lot is his diet schedule. Different people gave different advises, and I just did whatever my vet advised. Currently his schedule is as follows:

6:30 am: Milk
    9:30 am: Curd rice +boiled egg or Boiled chicken/mutton rice (I give both every alternate day)
    4:30 pm: Milk + banana
    8:30 pm: Drools S Puppy 175gm

Is this fine, or am I over-doing it? Some people are telling me non-veg should be given only once per week. Some others are telling non-veg should be given every day. I am so confused with this different inputs. My vet says non-veg twice per week. And he is also asking me to include lotsa veggies. But my guy does not like veggies. He is content only on the days he has chicken, so I give him every other day. Is it wrong? Please share what you gave your pets around 4.5 months age??? Thanks in advace! :)

2. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

we give our pet dog the following diet
    Morning milk with biscuits, for lunch, rice with lentils , veg,little , ghee,evening: pedigree, for dinner: chapathi , milk,

1 person likes this.
  3. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

@ iswaryadevi -- thanks for liking my post

4. devika90

devika90 New IL'ite

Hi Iswaryadevi,

It happens when you listen to many people. Every individual has his/her opinion and every breed of dog differs in their food habits. So, I would suggest you to stick to one and follow it. If your puppy is doing fine with these foods then continue it. As far as my opinion is concerned, the food items you mentioned above are healthy for dog. I also have a Labrador dog, who is now 2 years old. When he was small, I used to feed him healthy and nutritious food items like milk, rice, bread & fruits, in addition to branded dry food Pedigree. The result was good and my dog is healthy.

Many Blessings!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  5. thikkalekka

thikkalekka New IL'ite

non veg is not really important. milk is enough to get proteins .

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Milk often gives adult dogs or cats loose motion but if your pet can tolerate it, then it is ok. Dogs and cats are carnivores which means they need meat of some sort. Please keep giving your dog meat. When he is a little older you don't need to give so many meals. If you give a breakfast with some egg or meat and the some dry Pedigree in the evening that should be enough. Dogs over one year here in USA usually get a pan of food once a day and it is left down until they finish it so might take all day.

2 people like this.
  7. iswaryadevi

He is now 10.5 months old and this is how I have been feeding him. Guess my boy is a bit on the leaner side, and I am happy with the way he is as long as he is active and healthy. But still people keep telling him that he is very skinny and that irritates me to the core. :rant

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply, appreciate it! :)

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You have not mentioned what type of dog your Chico is. If he is mixed breed, could you post a picture?

You might take a fecal sample in to the vet and have it checked. Some types of worms that are not noticeable will make dogs skinny. Easy to treat.

9. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

hi Ice.. diet is always the question mark in most pet owners minds..to be honest.. i don't think there is any thing the best diet and if your dog is healthy and growing up well and if the vet isn't complaining then be rest assured that you are doing the right thing..
    since you asked. my lab Harley ( from the age of I think 1.5 years) has 2 proper meals a day.. morning 7:00a.m its 4 chappattis & 1 egg or cup full of dog food & handfull of peanuts & puffed rice..after he eats the dry food he has approx 1 cup skim milk.then at 6 p.m he has bowl full of chicken or any other meat (approx 125gms) which is boiled with loads of vegs ( approx 250gms) with a spoonfull of rice and 4 chappattis. inbetween he gets biscuit treats (3-4 nos) at 3p.m and 5p.m when maids are around.
    please continue to give Chico meat all dogs are carnivarious but vegs are good for the roughage so boil the chicken with vegs.
    sometimes on sundays I make him fish fillets with rice and dal..
    love and hugs to chico
    k

10. iswaryadevi

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

Below is a pic of my boy. He is a male GSD. This pic was taken recently, @ 10 months dont you think he looks very skinny? :(

But my trainer who comes tells me may be his body type is slim and it may not change much. And this guy is also a very picky eater. He hates milk, on and off he stops eating his food, I donno why? Most the time I will be begging him to have his food. Anyway his diet nowadays is morning half cup rice with veggies and boiled chicken/mutton (4 days a week). Night either Royal canine 200gms, or half cup curd rice. He also has 3 eggs per day during veg days, and one egg on non-veg days. He does not eat anything in between, or he would not have his dinner meal. Such a light eater he is. I deworm him regularly, once in 3 months, so I dont think he has any worms? Anyway, his weight is normal as per the chart and my vet and trainer says he looks good.

Any idea how to make him eat more??

Attached Files: